What activities are top law school looking for?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cylecat89

What activities are top law school looking for?

Postby cylecat89 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

We all know that lsat score, gpa, personal statements, and letters of rec are very important,(perhaps in that order) but what extracurricular activities are law schools looking for? Do greek fraternities look especially good? What about business oriented fraternities? Now with any organization, we know it is important to actually be involved not just having something to put down on your resume, but what groups actually look good??

SandyC877

Re: What activities are top law school looking for?

Postby SandyC877 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 pm

why don't you let them worry about that and do activities you're actually interested/passionate in? adcoms can smell disingenuousness from a mile away.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 pm

SandyC877 wrote:why don't you let them worry about that and do activities you're actually interested/passionate in?

+1

bret

Postby bret » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Law Schools is about reading, writing, and advocacy. Law schools are looking for students who enjoy thinking and instinctively seek out opportunities to take a stand. There is no magic cocktail of extracurricular activities schools are looking for, but there are some excellent ways to stand out:
1. writing for a newspaper or journal;
2. independent research experience;
3. leadership roles in student groups or organizations.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Taking the LSAT and pwning it.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 pm

You will be much better off doing something you truly care about, than something that you think will impress an adcomm.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

bret wrote:Law Schools is about reading, writing, and advocacy. Law schools are looking for students who enjoy thinking and instinctively seek out opportunities to take a stand. There is no magic cocktail of extracurricular activities schools are looking for, but there are some excellent ways to stand out:
1. writing for a newspaper or journal;
2. independent research experience;
3. leadership roles in student groups or organizations.

While these are good, they aren't necessary. I had none of them, just some activities that I really like and cared about.

One thing I would suggest, other than doing what you like, is some service type activities. Those are good to show character, plus I think everyone should do a little volunteer service.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Taking the LSAT and pwning it.

TITCR

Beyond that

1. Rhodes/Marshall
2. Military Service
3. Peace Corps
Whatever else.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

The real correct response is that every admissions dean is different, and what may impress one, may not impress another.

I'm not impressed by Americorp, or Peacecorp, but some deans probably are. I think military is a good soft, but some deans probably don't care, and some probably care a whole lot.

Have fun with your life, and succeed in college and the LSAT. Because softs don't matter for most applicants, you won't which will matter, and even amazing softs won't make up for your numbers.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 pm

I think its better to find something you like and become really involved in it rather than joining 823749837 different clubs on campus just to diversify your resume. The way I saw it when I started UG was if I spread myself too thin trying to do that, my grades would likely suffer.

runn3rs

Postby runn3rs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I would generally echo what some past replies have said. Showing read/writing skill has value, but generally they want to see that you are exceptionally good at one thing. Law schools love to show off people with rare talents but you could impress them by being really, really involved in one or two activities.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:02 pm

makingwaves wrote:I think its better to find something you like and become really involved in it rather than joining 823749837 different clubs on campus just to diversify your resume. The way I saw it when I started UG was if I spread myself too thin trying to do that, my grades would likely suffer.

+1

Also, while I don't think activities can really make up for numbers, they can probably help you stand out. I think this because I've gotten specific notes on some of my acceptance letters about one of my ECs, and I also heard back from some places much sooner than expected given my numbers. So good luck, have fun, and get involved.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”