Applying "out of region"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PlugInBaby

Applying "out of region"

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 am

In a correspondence with a professor who was a Letter of Recommendation writer, he stated that one reason why a Seattle U put me on the waitlist despite having an undergrad GPA and LSAT (3.77/161) above their 75th percetile is that the bachelor's granting school, University of Illinois at Chicago, is a regional school and that schools will give more deference to schools they are familiar with.

Is there any merit to this assertion?

PS: I know the same issue has been a bit spread out over the forums, but its a new perspective and I'd like to hear some input on it.

vanwinkle

Re: Applying "out of region"

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:43 am

It was probably yield protection.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 am

vanwinkle wrote:It was probably yield protection.

UChicago is a pretty shitty school though so maybe not.

Yes I know it's UIC, I'm trolling.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:49 am

vanwinkle wrote:It was probably yield protection.

Probably this. While regionality could have some basis, it doesn't seem likely in this case. It's a state system - it's not like it's some obscure and likely second rate or correspondence institution. And, if we're going with the 'they're more likely to pick applicants from a school they've heard of' isn't it pretty likely that you'd have the same situation had you gone to, say Bowdoin or Rochester and applied to Seattle? Bowdoin and Rochester both clearly aren't regional, as there are limited employment opportunities in their regions and as their rankings are high, and yet aren't likely to be heard of so far away.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Probably YP. You have a good shot at an acceptance from UW, you probably didn't give them any reason to think you would go to SU if you got into UW, so they probably waitlisted you so that they can reduce their acceptance rate. As I said in the UW thread, send them a LOCI, you will probably get an acceptance, maybe even with $ if you do it soon. You also may not have been clear that you wanted to end up in Seattle, so make sure you emphasize that in a LOCI. Also, you probably have at least a 50% chance at an acceptance from UW, assuming the SU waitlist was a result of YP and not some problem with your PS or some other part of your application.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Looking at some of the numbers from lawschoolnumbers.com I do see a fair amount of people with both GPA and LSAT higher than myself who were admitted, so I have some doubts about yield protection being the reason why I as waitlisted. Perhaps my softs may have come across as underwhelming as graduating undergrad without debt (which meant keeping a part time job, not using a car [3 hours of commuting per day], staying at home for cheaper rent) and family duties such as taking care of a terminally ill stepfather took greater priority than on campus clubs, studying abroad, charity, and the like. Perhaps my PS wasn't as good as I thought it was (I will be glad to PM it for critique if one so offers). Perhaps it was a misdemeanor I explained in full from 6-7 years ago (although admissions people tell me not to worry about it on campus visits). Whatever it may have been, I have my doubts that it was yield protection.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Looking at some of the numbers from lawschoolnumbers.com I do see a fair amount of people with both GPA and LSAT higher than myself who were admitted, so I have some doubts about yield protection being the reason why I as waitlisted. Perhaps my softs may have come across as underwhelming as graduating undergrad without debt (which meant keeping a part time job, not using a car [3 hours of commuting per day], staying at home for cheaper rent) and family duties such as taking care of a terminally ill stepfather took greater priority than on campus clubs, studying abroad, charity, and the like. Perhaps my PS wasn't as good as I thought it was (I will be glad to PM it for critique if one so offers). Perhaps it was a misdemeanor I explained in full from 6-7 years ago (although admissions people tell me not to worry about it on campus visits). Whatever it may have been, I have my doubts that it was yield protection.

That is a little weird. I still don't think there is anything about your softs that are a problem, lots of people apply straight out of UG without any other real experience. It also seems like it would take a pretty glaring mistake in your PS for that to be a problem, you are pretty much an auto-admit, numbers wise, for SU. Is there anything in your application or PS that could have given them the impression that you weren't actually interested in going there? Maybe they made a mistake, you never know. Either way, I still think sending a LOCI will most likely get you an acceptance.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”