161, 3.4 - Just applied to 19 schools - Retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shock259

Gold

161, 3.4 - Just applied to 19 schools - Retake?

Post by shock259 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 am

Hi all,

I took a Kaplan class to study for the LSAT last summer and got a 161 on the September test. I did some of the homework and occasionally some extra work, but I didn't take my studies very seriously. I applied a few weeks ago with this score and my 3.40 to some higher T1s and low T2s (35-65ish). However, upon realizing how shitty the market is and sort of realizing that the job prospects aren't great for me from any of these schools in particular, I'm interested to try and retake to get into a higher school. The difficulty is gauging how much better I can do if I take my studies seriously for 3-4 months. I'm thinking of taking on a schedule of at least 2-3 hours per day. I'm writing "170" on my wall for myself to look at daily.

I have heard back from a few of my schools this cycle (some yes, some waitlist). I figure I will hear back from all by June. If I remember right from undergrad, it is only a small deposit of a few hundred dollars is due to hold a spot upon accepting. It's not until classes begin (or at least some time into July) that the full tuition is due. Is it the same with law school? Is there anything binding about signing up? I guess I can always ask this to an admissions counselor too, but I figured someone here might know.

So here's my idea:
1) Decide on the best school I get into with 161, put down a small deposit/payment at this school as late as possible
2) Start studying now, study 2-3 hours a day with Powerscore Bible. Get serious.
3) Take the June LSAT, wait for results.
4) If I do significantly better (165+ probably), drop all of my apps for this cycle, take a year off, then apply in September with the higher score
OR
4) If I don't do better (or just slightly better), then just go to whatever school I decided was best before

Is it possible to do this? And ethical? I don't think I've hit my brick wall for my score yet, but it is hard to be certain. There is always the possibility of failing to do significantly better on my LSAT. I'm trying to avoid is taking a year off to improve my LSAT score, then effectively wasting that "gap" year if my score isn't better. Thoughts/ideas?

Mellojello7

New

Re: 161, 3.4 - Just applied to 19 schools - Retake?

Post by Mellojello7 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 am

I don't see any major problems with your plan. There is nothing unethical about depositing and then giving it up later.

The only thing I will say is that taking a year off isn't such a terrible thing. Even an increase of 2 or 3 LSAT points could get you $ at the schools you got into with the 161. Don't let the urgency of starting this year get in the way of improving your situation.

winokbe

New

Post by winokbe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 am

That's what I'm doing...Totally bombed my first LSAT, I had A LOT going on with family and UG at the time and totally ruined it for myself (didn't take a watch and ran out of time). So, now I'm studying hard core, taking the June (and if I don't score well enough, the October LSAT) and putting in apps Oct 1st.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 am

Good plan

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 am

I did exactly what you are planning and it has worked out pretty good. Nearly full rides at schools that wl/rejected me last year.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks guys. This'll be my plan of action then.

I'm starting my regime today. Wheeeee!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”