should splitters cancel?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
maks25

should splitters cancel?

Postby maks25 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi I just wrote the LSAT yesterday and I predict anything from 160 to 166 (depending on how badly I did in RC, my weakest section). I hit 170 on PT before and I think that with another solid 4 months of studying (and the new RC Bible) I will be able to get it up to a 170+ this summer. Now my goal is a T30 school, preferably Cornell which is known for taking large splitters.

Would you cancel in my case. I have people tell me not to and that most schools will only consider my highest LSAT anyways.
I would rewrite the LSAT regardless this summer and have my apps in on the first day.

MURPH

Re: should splitters cancel?

Postby MURPH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:40 pm

I see little benefit in canceling. They only let you sit for the test 3 times in two years. Even if you cancel they do not let you take it more often. There is also a disincentive for schools to average rather than take your highest score. They only report the highest to USNWR. Just roll with it. It is pretty hard to guess both how well you did and how steep the curve will be. It could be anywhere from -7 to -14.
Lets say you go through with your plan and study your ass off until June. If you got a 160 this time and a 170, 175 or 180 in June what difference will the lower score make? Probably none. But what if the curve is fantastic and despite the fact that you got a lot of wrong answers you pulled a 170 this time. Or even a 173. You would then have four months of your life that you don't have to spend crunched over old PTs. Cancel now and you might be kicking yourself when the -14 curve comes out.

maks25

Postby maks25 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 pm

MURPH wrote:I see little benefit in canceling. They only let you sit for the test 3 times in two years. Even if you cancel they do not let you take it more often. There is also a disincentive for schools to average rather than take your highest score. They only report the highest to USNWR. Just roll with it. It is pretty hard to guess both how well you did and how steep the curve will be. It could be anywhere from -7 to -14.
Lets say you go through with your plan and study your ass off until June. If you got a 160 this time and a 170, 175 or 180 in June what difference will the lower score make? Probably none. But what if the curve is fantastic and despite the fact that you got a lot of wrong answers you pulled a 170 this time. Or even a 173. You would then have four months of your life that you don't have to spend crunched over old PTs. Cancel now and you might be kicking yourself when the -14 curve comes out.

I love your rationale, mainly because the curiosity is killing me.

I don't think there is any way I'll get a 170, I royally messed up on one of the passages and also remember a really really dumb mistake I did on LR. I just hope this RC Bible will do for RC what LG Bible did for LG (avg -1/0).

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:24 pm

maks25 wrote:
MURPH wrote:I see little benefit in canceling. They only let you sit for the test 3 times in two years. Even if you cancel they do not let you take it more often. There is also a disincentive for schools to average rather than take your highest score. They only report the highest to USNWR. Just roll with it. It is pretty hard to guess both how well you did and how steep the curve will be. It could be anywhere from -7 to -14.

I love your rationale, mainly because the curiosity is killing me.

I don't think there is any way I'll get a 170, I royally messed up on one of the passages and also remember a really really dumb mistake I did on LR. I just hope this RC Bible will do for RC what LG Bible did for LG (avg -1/0).

Personally, I did not find the RC bible helpful, but I hope that you have better luck with it.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:30 pm

maks25 wrote:Now my goal is a T30 school, preferably Cornell which is known for taking large splitters.

Hehehe ouch

maks25

Postby maks25 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
maks25 wrote:Now my goal is a T30 school, preferably Cornell which is known for taking large splitters.

Hehehe ouch

Why? Is it not true that they are known to take splitters?

Or is it because I didn't refer to it as a T14...
Last edited by maks25 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 pm

iShotFirst wrote:

Hehehe ouch

hahaha +1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”