Completely forgot about disciplinary incident, URGENT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
benjaminbutton23

Completely forgot about disciplinary incident, URGENT

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi, so I've sent applications to all schools a couple of months ago, have been accepted to some of the T14, and had clicked no on the disciplinary part of the application because I could not recall a single incident in UG, had even confirmed this with judicial affairs at my degree-granting institution. However, last night I remembered an incident from my first month in which my roommate was in possession of inappropriate paraphernalia, the RA wrote him up for being the owner as apparently it was considered inappropriate paraphernalia and as his roommate I was written up for failure to report it but not for possession of it. At any rate, I just literally remembered this yesterday, and I want to know what the proper protocol is, as I completely honestly forgot and had I remembered I would have definitely written this into my application as an addendum, clicked yes, and all of that. I had no intention of not disclosing this and had I remembered the incident I again, would have definitely written an addendum and followed protocol as I know it would not have affected my admissions process at all, but now I am absolutely freaking out that I will have any offers of admission revoked as well as becoming auto-rejection at my top choice schools which I have a fairly good shot at. What is the best way to going about calling a school to first explain the situation via phone to find out the protocol on this matter before writing an extra addendum, particularly at schools with admission already granted? Please please please help, thank you!

UF Gators

Re: Completely forgot about disciplinary incident, URGENT

Postby UF Gators » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Send an addendum to the schools you are waiting to hear back from. Just call the schools you have been accepted to and explain the situation. The incident really doesn't sound like a big deal to me and I can understand forgetting about it. Just relax and call tomorrow, I am sure everything will be fine :P .

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 pm

benjaminbutton23 wrote:Hi, so I've sent applications to all schools a couple of months ago, have been accepted to some of the T14, and had clicked no on the disciplinary part of the application because I could not recall a single incident in UG, had even confirmed this with judicial affairs at my degree-granting institution. However, last night I remembered an incident from my first month in which my roommate was in possession of inappropriate paraphernalia, the RA wrote him up for being the owner as apparently it was considered inappropriate paraphernalia and as his roommate I was written up for failure to report it but not for possession of it. At any rate, I just literally remembered this yesterday, and I want to know what the proper protocol is, as I completely honestly forgot and had I remembered I would have definitely written this into my application as an addendum, clicked yes, and all of that. I had no intention of not disclosing this and had I remembered the incident I again, would have definitely written an addendum and followed protocol as I know it would not have affected my admissions process at all, but now I am absolutely freaking out that I will have any offers of admission revoked as well as becoming auto-rejection at my top choice schools which I have a fairly good shot at. What is the best way to going about calling a school to first explain the situation via phone to find out the protocol on this matter before writing an extra addendum, particularly at schools with admission already granted? Please please please help, thank you!

Talk to your school and see what they consider this "write-up" to be. They may not consider it disciplinary in nature. (More of a moral thing...) You didn't actually violate any rule, just failed to report a violation.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Take a look at the applications again. Do they ask you to list any infraction or do they ask if you were suspended or expelled. Some don't care about minor nonsense from freshman year. Minnesota asks "Have you ever been placed on probation, disciplined, dropped, suspended, or expelled from a post-secondary college, university, graduate school, professional school, or law school for academic or non-academic reasons?" I don't think a write up is considered being disciplined. "Disciplined" implies some kind of punishment. Some moron RA filling out silly paperwork is not a punishment for you, especially if your school doesn't have any record of it.

If the application asks have you ever been written up or accused of something then maybe consider an addendum.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Call one safety school you aren't really interested in where you were accepted and ask them what to do. If they are like, oh thats not anything you need to report--don't worry about it.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:24 am

Guilt by forced association is bullshit. C&F won't care, you already called your school and they didn't mention it. I'd forget about.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 am

I'm just saying test the waters. It's like taking a practice LSAT, better to blow it on a safety than your dream school. Perhaps you may just learn the best way to tell your story.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:Guilt by forced association is bullshit. C&F won't care, you already called your school and they didn't mention it. I'd forget about.

+1000
Anyone who says C&F will care about this is fucking dumb. How would they even know about it? OP did due diligence and the school confirmed he had no disciplinary issues. Should I report all my detentions from grade school too? Or the visits to the principles office?...

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 am

Nightrunner wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Guilt by forced association is bullshit. C&F won't care, you already called your school and they didn't mention it. I'd forget about.

+1000
Anyone who says C&F will care about this is fucking dumb. How would they even know about it? OP did due diligence and the school confirmed he had no disciplinary issues. Should I report all my detentions from grade school too? Or the visits to the principles office?...

No applications ask you about those things, now do they? Also, you misspelled "principal."

Moving on: yes, it is very unlikely that anything would come of this. But "very unlikely" does not mean 0% chance, and if there is an easy remedy to reduce that, why not take it?

I did mispell principle.. because I had too much fun at my superbowl party... I dont really care what happens.

benjaminbutton23

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 am

Thank you all for the input, I greatly appreciate it. To clarify my original post, the judicial affairs office I called was the school I had transferred to, after one year at my state school, which is the one where this incident occurred. As I had no recollection whatsoever of any disciplinary actions or any incidents close to that from that year, I hadn't seen a reason to ask until I literally remembered this write up yesterday. I'm going to call the dean's office as well as any other department (not sure if my first school has a judicial affairs office or equivalent) and ask to get clarification and if there is something on my record there, what is stated on taht record. And I'll definitely take up some of advice from your responses and test the waters with a safety school and see their response as well as going thru the PDF of all my applications and seeing the exact question each school asks about reporting disciplinary records. I'm just really hoping for the best on this one as Im a bit freaked out remembering this months after sending out apps and after having been accepted at some schools :/.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 am

You know, if it was hard as people make it out to be to pass the C&F screening as people here make it out to be, I think we would hear a lot more about people going to law school but not being able to join the bar. To my understanding, C&F cares about major moral and character issues that may affect your ability to be an attorney. This does not seem to be such an issue.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 pm

goodolgil wrote:You know, if it was hard as people make it out to be to pass the C&F screening as people here make it out to be, I think we would hear a lot more about people going to law school but not being able to join the bar. To my understanding, C&F cares about major moral and character issues that may affect your ability to be an attorney. This does not seem to be such an issue.

No, but apparently concealing information disfavorable to you on your law school application is considered a "major moral and character issue" they'll kick your ass for.

All schools let you update your application if you "remember" stuff after being admitted. It's usually worth doing, even if you are "sure" there's no piece of paper anyone could ever find.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You know, if it was hard as people make it out to be to pass the C&F screening as people here make it out to be, I think we would hear a lot more about people going to law school but not being able to join the bar. To my understanding, C&F cares about major moral and character issues that may affect your ability to be an attorney. This does not seem to be such an issue.

No, but apparently concealing information disfavorable to you on your law school application is considered a "major moral and character issue" they'll kick your ass for.

All schools let you update your application if you "remember" stuff after being admitted. It's usually worth doing, even if you are "sure" there's no piece of paper anyone could ever find.

Concealing a DUI, or some other conviction. Not forgetting to list a speeding ticket, or even more ridiculously your roommate getting written up for his bong. Sophmore Suzzy the RA isn't a court of law.

I wonder if BYU undergrads have to disclose dancing or going to starbucks?

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:

Concealing a DUI, or some other conviction. Not forgetting to list a speeding ticket, or even more ridiculously your roommate getting written up for his bong. Sophmore Suzzy the RA isn't a court of law.

I wonder if BYU undergrads have to disclose dancing or going to starbucks?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Can someone please point to one example of someone being denied admission to bar over an issue on the same level as this. Just one example, please! All I've seen on TLS about the C&F is a lot of hearsay and groupthink.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:12 pm

where'd you go to school, Liberty University? failure to report???

Yimbeezy

Postby Yimbeezy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Is C&F evaluation even public record?

Yimbeezy

Postby Yimbeezy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:14 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:where'd you go to school, Liberty University? failure to report???

This is also what I thought. Incentivized snitching FTL!

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Yimbeezy wrote:Is C&F evaluation even public record?

Unless you sue them, no. That said, the only consistent thing in said suits that gets people kept out is dishonesty (serious recent crimes against people, fraud and mental fitness issues occur on a case-by-case basis).

You have the burden to prove that you have said character & fitness; there's not much point in trying to be a wiseass. People are generally surprised with what bar examiners can dig up. Unless you understand the records in question at least as well as they do, never assume that something doesn't exist.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”