Mentioning that you have children in the PS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kaya_belly

Mentioning that you have children in the PS

Postby kaya_belly » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:48 pm

So, apparently I have nothing better to do today than play "Things I will linger on, but cannot possibly change," and I came up with a question.

In my PS, which has already been submitted, I discuss the fact that I have a daughter who had developmental delays as a toddler. This was not the sole focus of my PS, and I will not bore anyone with a summary of it, but basically it tied into my work experience and graduate background in special education/developmental therapy.

So, I am now wondering if Admission Powers possibly see applicants (particularly women) with children as risks. In other words, might they consider that having children increases the risk of a law school student doing poorly in school?

Any insight? Theories?

hiromoto45

Re: Mentioning that you have children in the PS

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:50 pm

I think its more of a positive than a negative. You succeed thus far with a kid why would that change?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Fact: Many women in law school have children of all ages, shapes, and sizes.
Fact: If you have the numbers they're looking for, you're golden.
Fact: It finally stopped raining last night.

twopoodles

Postby twopoodles » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:05 pm

I mentioned it, but chose not to focus on that. If you had kids while in UG, you've probably already proven your ability to manage both, but I agree that the numbers are really the key factor anyway. I was accepted to all the schools I applied to, so the kids didn't seem to both anyone.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”