Does this count as an attended school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
winokbe

Does this count as an attended school?

Postby winokbe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:12 pm

So, I'm a bit perplexed by the situation I've found myself in; I went ahead and registered for LSADS and CRS and all that good stuff, I also paid and Submitted it.

I was putting down my information with schools attended (where I got my AA, where I did some general ed after transferring, and where I'm currently going). I completely forgot about the fact that the Police Academy I attended 5 years ago is part of a Community College...Now I know that doesn't seem like too big a deal, but here's the problem: 2/3 of the way through the program I was dismissed "without prejudice" from the class, meaning I could have returned the next class to restart the program if I so desired, they just didn't want to graduate me. Also, the reasoning for the dismissal was "conduct unbecoming of a recruit", which I can relatively easily mitigate via an addendum.

So, 2 questions.
1-should I not worry about it and if its brought up then just tell the Adcomm everything?
or
2-Should I freak out and send an addendum with all my applications stating my failure to provide the information about this "college" along with explanations etc?

Keep in mind that the Law Enforcement Academy is a completely separate part of the college, they just use the colleges facilities and I had to fill out an application for the school. I don't even know if i have a record at the school of me taking the "class" so to speak, and if I do, whether it shows as a W, Incomplete, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Also,
I'm looking at Loyola as my 1st choice since I'm local to SoCal and my family is here. My UGPA is a 3.44, bombed my first LSAT (forgot to take a watch and ran out of time on 3 sections) and 149'd it. My practice tests (in time) were all 159-163. Obviously I'm going to retake and by that time I shouldn't have a problem with mid-high 160s (on one test I managed a 167 as my high)
Should i just pack my bags and head to the nearest t3/t4 school that I can get into or is there hope?

Anonymous Loser

Re: Does this count as an attended school?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Is the Police Academy such an institution where you actually get grades that could be figured into a transcript??? I don't thing so... but I'd look into it.

I guess, IMHO, it sounds like something that should be disclosed. Or at least addressed in your resume if no transcript reports are required. I'm just thinking of long term prognosis come C&F time. It certainly doesn't seem to be even close to the same level as a military dis-honorable discharge. It's just the way they worded it that raises a red flag. I seriously doubt this is something that anyone here has come across.

Good luck regardless. Just took the LSAT today myself and would love to be admitted to Loyola as well. Hopefully the stars come into alignment for both of us!

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Is the Police Academy such an institution where you actually get grades that could be figured into a transcript??? I don't thing so... but I'd look into it.

I guess, IMHO, it sounds like something that should be disclosed. Or at least addressed in your resume if no transcript reports are required. I'm just thinking of long term prognosis come C&F time. It certainly doesn't seem to be even close to the same level as a military dis-honorable discharge. It's just the way they worded it that raises a red flag. I seriously doubt this is something that anyone here has come across.

Good luck regardless. Just took the LSAT today myself and would love to be admitted to Loyola as well. Hopefully the stars come into alignment for both of us!

How was your LSAT?

winokbe

Postby winokbe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm

No, there are no grades given its either "Congrats you passed here's your POST certificate" or "Sorry, you didn't pass, better luck next year" and then you're dismissed without prejudice (which is what happened to me, I just didn't finish the full 18 weeks, only went 13).

They have two types of dismissal;

with prejudice (like a dishonorable discharge)
or
without (which is their way of saying, we don't like you, we don't think you'll be a good cop, but we can't make you quit on your own because you're meeting all the physical requirements and are 2nd in your class for academics)

It really is something that is easily explainable, I personally feel like it doesn't really affect anything, other than the fact that it explains what I was doing for a semester.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Pussy Galore wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Is the Police Academy such an institution where you actually get grades that could be figured into a transcript??? I don't thing so... but I'd look into it.

How was your LSAT?

Meh... games sucked, but other than that par for the course. A little luck could sure come in handy!
*Sorry for the slight derail here OP*

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”