George Washington vs. William and Mary

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
quatemala girl

George Washington vs. William and Mary

Postby quatemala girl » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:29 pm

My decision has come down to George Washington at sticker price or William and Mary with scholarships. I want to work in DC with a clerkship or in public interest when I graduate. Thoughts on the merits of these two in achieving this?

FunkyJD

Re: George Washington vs. William and Mary

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:54 pm

quatemala girl wrote:My decision has come down to George Washington at sticker price or William and Mary with scholarships. I want to work in DC with a clerkship or in public interest when I graduate. Thoughts on the merits of these two in achieving this?

This site is a great reference for demographics regarding federal clerks: --LinkRemoved--

If you want a shot at a federal clerkship based in DC, GW > W&M.

If you would be willing to try for a federal clerkship based in Virginia, W&M has recently placed clerks with the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.

--LinkRemoved--

I'd imagine GW > W&M for placing clerks in DC Superior Court and the DC Court of Appeals, due to proximity, but I don't have any proof for that. Here's the website for the DC Courts:

http://www.dccourts.gov/dccourts/index.jsp

Given how competitive clerkships are, you'll have to decide if whatever advantage GW confers is worth such a large premium to attend. I'm skeptical that it is, but others can speak to that.

I'll let others speak re: PI.

forty-two

Re: George Washington vs. William and Mary

Postby forty-two » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:39 am

I would say W&M because I personally think debt should be an important consideration, especially if you're considering PI (granted, I don't know how GW's LRAP is). Even without a scholarship, you would leave law school with much less debt from W&M because both the tuition and cost of living are significantly lower. It also isn't that far from DC. However, I think the arguments for GW are valid too (I also have a friend who's a 1L there and she absolutely loves it), so I think it should come down to how debt adverse you are and which school you get a better vibe from.

Congrats, by the way. Those are excellent choices!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”