Is it better to cancel, or hang on to a (likely) bad score?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JCougar

Re: Is it better to cancel, or hang on to a (likely) bad score?

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

njskatchmo wrote:Even if they don't average them to get a single score, it will certainly reflect poorly on him if the scores are 164,166, 171. I put less stock in such an applicant than a cancel, 166, 171 applicant.

Which school's committee are you on?

monkeyboy

Postby monkeyboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
njskatchmo wrote:Once you get three scores, you can't rely on single outliers as predictive. Even if they don't average them to get a single score, it will certainly reflect poorly on him if the scores are 164,166, 171. I put less stock in such an applicant than a cancel, 166, 171 applicant.

Schools favor the LSAT because its what the USNWR judges them on. This means top scores rule the admissions game.

And putting less stock in a cancel than a 164 is hilarious. People don't cancel for no reason.

Exactly. I have a 163 and I fear that I may have scored lower. I've called a few schools today and they have assured me that they take the top score. Canceled scores following a previously registered score might very easily be construed as an indication that the applicant very likely scored lower. It probably wouldn't look much better than a lower score, if at all. In fact, it might seem cowardly or that the applicant is trying to game the system a bit. There are good reasons to cancel and it isn't a bad thing, but it is likely no better than having a low score.

gmreplay

Postby gmreplay » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I really appreciate the forceful debate on this. Barring a major revelation, I am going to keep it. I probably did poorly, yes, but I think I will be less afraid the second time around if I have a baseline of how I did under real test conditions. Further, it might (with tremendous luck and a nice curve) end up being 164, with which I would at least attempt to get into GWU and a few others. I have a 3.92 GPA right now and I think that I can make a convincing argument in favor of my academic prowess despite the logic games chewing me up and spitting me out.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:37 pm

just fyi: you rarely, if ever, do better than you thought you were going to do.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:38 pm

gmreplay wrote:I think I will be less afraid the second time around if I have a baseline of how I did under real test conditions.

This is a great point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”