"easy" classes while abroad... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
toiletpaper55

New

"easy" classes while abroad...

Post by toiletpaper55 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm currently studying abroad in Hong Kong and I want to know if the classes that I'm taking now will weaken my application considering they're not related to my major. I'm an accounting and finance major but here in HK I'm taking only 12 credits (while trying to study for the LSATS but its honestly crazy hard when everyones out everynight...).

I'm only taking cultural classes such as: Chinese I, HK Gov't & Pol, US-China Relations and China and the World. Considering I usually take 18+ credits and work, will my 12 credit semester adversely affect my application.

I currently have a 3.97 but I plan on it dropping here (the curve is sick, they limit classes to 15% A's and kids are ridiculously competitive, some classes can have a 97% average so they force rank and grade accordingly). The grading system, among other reasons, is why I'm not taking any business classes...And even with "easy" classes, I don't expect a 4.0...

Any thoughts, experience(s) you can share?

MPMP

New

Re: "easy" classes while abroad...

Post by MPMP » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:32 pm

You have a 3.97 ... I wouldn't worry that much about my GPA, personally. I think you'll be fine. Just get that LSAT over 170 and you will have a lot of great opportunities.

Osos

New

Post by Osos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:57 am

If the curve is so bad, have you considered trying to take some pass/no pass? It would be a shame to diminish that gpa so much.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:02 am

any reasonable school will understand that the experience of being abroad in and of itself is worth at least 4 credits. no, you do not have to worry. yes, everything will be ok. trust me, i'll be a lawyer someday.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:09 am

How will those grades appear on your final UG transcript? If they are converted into Pass/Fail (as I think most universities do) you have nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure LSAC says not to send transcripts from foreign universities if you're not getting your degree from that school or you've studied there for less than a year.
And I doubt that they will even notice that you took 12 credits instead of 18, and even if they do since foreign universities usually have weigh classes differently credit-wise they probably won't pay much attention to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawman335

Bronze

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:28 am

you are having 12credits which means 3.97 GPA thats not a bad score............

toiletpaper55

New

Post by toiletpaper55 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 am

kazu wrote:How will those grades appear on your final UG transcript? If they are converted into Pass/Fail (as I think most universities do) you have nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure LSAC says not to send transcripts from foreign universities if you're not getting your degree from that school or you've studied there for less than a year.
And I doubt that they will even notice that you took 12 credits instead of 18, and even if they do since foreign universities usually have weigh classes differently credit-wise they probably won't pay much attention to it.
the classes on at my home university show up as P/F but i thought you have to send in transcripts from all institutions you studied at when applying...if not, i might have an even easier semester...

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:41 am

toiletpaper55 wrote:
kazu wrote:How will those grades appear on your final UG transcript? If they are converted into Pass/Fail (as I think most universities do) you have nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure LSAC says not to send transcripts from foreign universities if you're not getting your degree from that school or you've studied there for less than a year.
the classes on at my home university show up as P/F but i thought you have to send in transcripts from all institutions you studied at when applying...if not, i might have an even easier semester...
Nope... here's how LSAC puts it regarding international transcripts
International Transcripts

* Transcripts must be sent if your degree was received from an institution located outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and you are applying to a Credential Assembly Service-requiring law school that also requires the authentication and evaluation feature.
* Do not have a transcript sent from an international institution if your bachelor's degree is from a US, US Territory, or Canadian school, AND:
o the total amount of work you completed at all international institutions combined is equal to or less than the equivalent of one year of undergraduate study in the US, its territories, or Canada, OR
o your work was completed through an overseas study program that was clearly sponsored by a US, US Territory, or Canadian school.
So have fun and good luck on the LSATs!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”