Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
mteevin
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby mteevin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm

mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


ahhhh....the simple joys of getting blackout drunk for $4 bucks and change.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:46 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.


Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:49 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.

I'm sure you can find people to drink scotch with you at the end of the night but you won't be going out with the majority of the crowd. Untie that sweater from around your neck, plenty of time to be pretentious after law school.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm

artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.


Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?

Yale. Good luck.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm

artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.


Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?


Probably, the most unlike that, will be Chicago and Yale.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm

mths wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.

I'm sure you can find people to drink scotch with you at the end of the night but you won't be going out with the majority of the crowd. Untie that sweater from around your neck, plenty of time to be pretentious after law school.


Oh Lord, since when is not liking Four Loko pretentious?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 pm

artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.


Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?

Yale, Stanford, Chicago

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.


Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.

I'm sure you can find people to drink scotch with you at the end of the night but you won't be going out with the majority of the crowd. Untie that sweater from around your neck, plenty of time to be pretentious after law school.


Oh Lord, since when is not liking Four Loko pretentious?

You are being too literal, it's not specifically about the four loko.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:I'm sure you can find people to drink scotch with you at the end of the night but you won't be going out with the majority of the crowd. Untie that sweater from around your neck, plenty of time to be pretentious after law school.


Oh Lord, since when is not liking Four Loko pretentious?

You are being too literal, it's not specifically about the four loko.


Ok, ok, I know that. Regardless, I think I've taken this far enough, considering I am supposed to be hard at work right now. Honestly though, I think I've gained some insight.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Is drinking scotch pretentious? I must have missed something when I had my monocle out for repairs.

Thuogh it was broken at my frat's last rager... huh.

And four loko is awful- my fraternity voted to ban it from future events.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Haha that's not what I mean. All I am trying to say is that if you don't like the packed bar/houseparty/beerpong scene then you won't be running into a good amount of the law school. Of course you can always find people that want to do what you want to do but this is not a big city and we amuse ourselves how we can.

So far as I can tell, most t14a are like that.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Go to Chicago if you want to have the most boring 3 years of school.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:06 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Go to Chicago if you want to have the most boring 3 years of school.


Entertainment isn't my major concern when choosing a law school, but to each her or his own.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Go to Chicago if you want to have the most boring 3 years of school a 2/3 shot of landing biglaw.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:10 pm

im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Go to Chicago if you want to have the most boring 3 years of school a 2/3 shot of landing biglaw.


2/3'rd? I thought the Chicago market was pretty bad. I don't think even NYU places 60%+ into biglaw, do they?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Go to Chicago if you want to have the most boring 3 years of school a 2/3 shot of landing biglaw.


2/3'rd? I thought the Chicago market was pretty bad. I don't think even NYU places 60%+ into biglaw, do they?

According to the Legal Employment forum, all of CCN placed around 2/3 at OCI this year. Chicago only places about 1/3 of their graduates in the city anyway, and nearly 20% into each of NYC, CA, and DC/Atl/TX.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:No, I get what artichoke is saying. I definitely prefer the more relaxed bar/restaurant scene to the club/frat party culture. I did the frat thing for the first few years of undergrad and it was a lot of fun, but it just doesn't appeal to me now like it used to. Maybe I just got lame.


In general, bar scenes around universities is the same or equitable enough to a frat scene. Therefore, if you don't like going to a house party, you probably won't like going to a packed bar/club around the university either. You don't have to get wasted and do a keg stand, but if you aren't ok with these things at all, you'll probably not be around others that drink all that often. It's fine if you don't drink, but just understand what you are getting into.


Eh, I dunno about that. I'm living in an area that seems to be almost entirely grad students (WUSTL and SLU), and the bar scene around here is noticeably different than the bars/frat parties/apt parties (we don't have houses) that are frequented by undergrads. I love to drink (just ask my GPA), but I'd much rather do it with grad students than undergrads.


What's funny, is we live in the same place, and I would wholheartedly disagree with you about the Central West End and that area. The landing, sure, it's usually an older crowd, but not the area around the schools and Central West End.

Edit: you also have to understand, i'm not talking about animal house type shit, i'm talking about realistic house parties that you see at the frats on a campus like WUSTL. There aren't really keg stands going on, just a lot of drinking, socializing, and dancing. That is about it.


You're in the CWE? Ha, no kidding.

I should tell you that I go to SLU- so maybe our bars/frat parties are a little different from WUSTL's (I've only been to a handful of WUSTL parties, but the kids definitely seemed... smarter). But when you compare the scene at Bar Louie/Subzero/Tom's (regardless of how much the food sucks)/etc to Laclede's/Hump's, it's definitely a different vibe. I'm all about drinking and having a good time, but I'd much rather do it at Bar Louie than Laclede's.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:36 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:In general, bar scenes around universities is the same or equitable enough to a frat scene. Therefore, if you don't like going to a house party, you probably won't like going to a packed bar/club around the university either. You don't have to get wasted and do a keg stand, but if you aren't ok with these things at all, you'll probably not be around others that drink all that often. It's fine if you don't drink, but just understand what you are getting into.


Eh, I dunno about that. I'm living in an area that seems to be almost entirely grad students (WUSTL and SLU), and the bar scene around here is noticeably different than the bars/frat parties/apt parties (we don't have houses) that are frequented by undergrads. I love to drink (just ask my GPA), but I'd much rather do it with grad students than undergrads.


What's funny, is we live in the same place, and I would wholheartedly disagree with you about the Central West End and that area. The landing, sure, it's usually an older crowd, but not the area around the schools and Central West End.

Edit: you also have to understand, i'm not talking about animal house type shit, i'm talking about realistic house parties that you see at the frats on a campus like WUSTL. There aren't really keg stands going on, just a lot of drinking, socializing, and dancing. That is about it.


You're in the CWE? Ha, no kidding.

I should tell you that I go to SLU- so maybe our bars/frat parties are a little different from WUSTL's (I've only been to a handful of WUSTL parties, but the kids definitely seemed... smarter). But when you compare the scene at Bar Louie/Subzero/Tom's (regardless of how much the food sucks)/etc to Laclede's/Hump's, it's definitely a different vibe. I'm all about drinking and having a good time, but I'd much rather do it at Bar Louie than Laclede's.


I was at bar louie on friday and it was definitely a frattastic time. Seriosuly though, all the frat kids go to either bar louie/toms or morgan street at least a couple times a week. Half the time i'm in one of those places it is at least half WUSTL juniors and seniors.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I was at bar louie on friday and it was definitely a frattastic time. Seriosuly though, all the frat kids go to either bar louie/toms or morgan street at least a couple times a week. Half the time i'm in one of those places it is at least half WUSTL juniors and seniors.


Huh, I think we're just working with very different definitions of fratty- but I also think these definitions are dependent upon the school. Frats (and bros) at SLU, for example, are worlds apart from frats at WUSTL, which barely resemble frats at Mizzou.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I was at bar louie on friday and it was definitely a frattastic time. Seriosuly though, all the frat kids go to either bar louie/toms or morgan street at least a couple times a week. Half the time i'm in one of those places it is at least half WUSTL juniors and seniors.


Huh, I think we're just working with very different definitions of fratty- but I also think these definitions are dependent upon the school. Frats (and bros) at SLU, for example, are worlds apart from frats at WUSTL, which barely resemble frats at Mizzou.


This is probably true. But my definition of fratty here is lots of drunkenness that often leads to being loud and obnoxious, dancing, making out/hooking up, and generally not worrying about how you look besides getting with a female. TBF, I used to go, before I transferred, to a large state school, and it wasn't that much crazier or different from here.

EDIT: also, I'm not sure the "fratty" stuff people see in movies actually happens at most schools. So that kind of stuff isn't waht i'm talking about.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm

artichoke wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?


Uhh, I don't go to law school yet, but back when I was an undergraduate, NYU was in... downtown New York City. There were a couple different bars, like, around. You could probably even find Four Loko if you wanted.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm

ahduth wrote:
artichoke wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?


Uhh, I don't go to law school yet, but back when I was an undergraduate, NYU was in... downtown New York City. There were a couple different bars, like, around. You could probably even find Four Loko if you wanted.


Helpful. Thanks.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:08 pm

artichoke wrote:
ahduth wrote:
artichoke wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?


Uhh, I don't go to law school yet, but back when I was an undergraduate, NYU was in... downtown New York City. There were a couple different bars, like, around. You could probably even find Four Loko if you wanted.


Helpful. Thanks.


I would imagine ALL the schools in a major city would be similar. NU is in the heart of downtown chicago. Columbia is also in manhattan. etc.

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby MartianManhunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:13 pm

im_blue wrote:
artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.


Honestly, approximately 35% of every law school will be like that.


Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?

Yale, Stanford, Chicago


Lies and slander.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 6 guests