Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
artichoke

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:19 pm

mths wrote:
artichoke wrote:I don't like it as much as I like mon-sun drinking.

Cornell is the school for you

No but, really? Is there a large drinking culture there? There is nothing I cannot stand more than frat party drinking. I'm talking about scotch at the end of the night, not like, keg stands.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:

No but, really? Is there a large drinking culture there? There is nothing I cannot stand more than frat party drinking. I'm talking about scotch at the end of the night, not like, keg stands.

So, you don't have very many friends do you?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm

dude keg stands are awesome

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:

I don't understand the difference between these two things.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:

He's insinuating that he is more mature because he sits at home by himself and drinks scotch instead of going out, socializing, and drinking natty.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:Cornell is the school for you

He's insinuating that he is more mature because he sits at home by himself and drinks scotch instead of going out, socializing, and drinking natty.

*she's

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:Cornell is the school for you

Right, I got that. I guess more clear would have been: Why can't I do both? (And I do)

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Right, I got that. I guess more clear would have been: Why can't I do both? (And I do)

Right, my point is, I don't want to go to a school with a dominant frat party culture. My question was, if this is how one would describe Cornell. Get it?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm

artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:No but, really? Is there a large drinking culture there? There is nothing I cannot stand more than frat party drinking. I'm talking about scotch at the end of the night, not like, keg stands.

*she's

Well, that proves my point.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm

No, I get what artichoke is saying. I definitely prefer the more relaxed bar/restaurant scene to the club/frat party culture. I did the frat thing for the first few years of undergrad and it was a lot of fun, but it just doesn't appeal to me now like it used to. Maybe I just got lame.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 pm

artichoke wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Right, my point is, I don't want to go to a school with a dominant frat party culture. My question was, if this is how one would describe Cornell. Get it?

To try and answer your question, every law school has a large amount of people who drink and socialize, Cornell is probably among some of the bigger offenders because of its isolation.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

*she's

Well, that proves my point.

beachbum wrote:No, I get what artichoke is saying. I definitely prefer the more relaxed bar/restaurant scene to the club/frat party culture. I did the frat thing for the first few years of undergrad and it was a lot of fun, but it just doesn't appeal to me now like it used to. Maybe I just got lame.

Yep, and if I'm lame now, so be it, but I want to be around other people who are lame as well, not frat boys.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

beachbum wrote:No, I get what artichoke is saying. I definitely prefer the more relaxed bar/restaurant scene to the club/frat party culture. I did the frat thing for the first few years of undergrad and it was a lot of fun, but it just doesn't appeal to me now like it used to. Maybe I just got lame.

In general, bar scenes around universities is the same or equitable enough to a frat scene. Therefore, if you don't like going to a house party, you probably won't like going to a packed bar/club around the university either. You don't have to get wasted and do a keg stand, but if you aren't ok with these things at all, you'll probably not be around others that drink all that often. It's fine if you don't drink, but just understand what you are getting into.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

artichoke wrote:

Cornell undergrad is certainly a pretty frat heavy culture. Ithaca has plenty of fine wine bistros and cute little restaurants as well though. So I imagine you can get either- I don't see how the undergraduate culture can directly influence the law school beyond a certain extent.

And I disagree- there are nice bars too, for the faculty. Not just fratty bars.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:

Cornell undergrad is certainly a pretty frat heavy culture. Ithaca has plenty of fine wine bistros and cute little restaurants as well though. So I imagine you can get either- I don't see how the undergraduate culture can directly influence the law school beyond a certain extent.

Hmm, I hadn't heard this about Cornell honestly. Thank you for giving me an honest answer, it's helpful!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

In general, bar scenes around universities is the same or equitable enough to a frat scene. Therefore, if you don't like going to a house party, you probably won't like going to a packed bar/club around the university either. You don't have to get wasted and do a keg stand, but if you aren't ok with these things at all, you'll probably not be around others that drink all that often. It's fine if you don't drink, but just understand what you are getting into.

Eh, I dunno about that. I'm living in an area that seems to be almost entirely grad students (WUSTL and SLU), and the bar scene around here is noticeably different than the bars/frat parties/apt parties (we don't have houses) that are frequented by undergrads. I love to drink (just ask my GPA), but I'd much rather do it with grad students than undergrads.
Last edited by beachbum on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 pm

artichoke wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:

Hmm, I hadn't heard this about Cornell honestly. Thank you for giving me an honest answer, it's helpful!

I'm not an undergrad there, to be clear- just from NY, and so have about 30 friends who went there, plus my uncle's on faculty so I know other parts of Ithaca. Only way to know for sure is to judge for yourself.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:25 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Eh, I dunno about that. I'm living in an area that seems to be almost entirely grad students (WUSTL and SLU), and the bar scene around here is noticeably different than the bars/frat parties/apt parties (we don't have houses) that are frequented by undergrads. I love to drink, but I'd much rather do it with the grad students than undergrads.

+1

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:34 pm

beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Eh, I dunno about that. I'm living in an area that seems to be almost entirely grad students (WUSTL and SLU), and the bar scene around here is noticeably different than the bars/frat parties/apt parties (we don't have houses) that are frequented by undergrads. I love to drink (just ask my GPA), but I'd much rather do it with grad students than undergrads.

What's funny, is we live in the same place, and I would wholheartedly disagree with you about the Central West End and that area. The landing, sure, it's usually an older crowd, but not the area around the schools and Central West End.

Edit: you also have to understand, i'm not talking about animal house type shit, i'm talking about realistic house parties that you see at the frats on a campus like WUSTL. There aren't really keg stands going on, just a lot of drinking, socializing, and dancing. That is about it.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:35 pm

artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:

Haha cornell is the wrong place for you.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 pm

mths wrote:
artichoke wrote:
mths wrote:

Haha cornell is the wrong place for you.

:lol:

mteevin

Postby mteevin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm

there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:41 pm

mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

lol, I saw some kid at the grocery store on friday night with a cart full of yellow four loko's, at least 30-40 were in that cart. But, to be honest, four loko is gross.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

mths wrote:

Ohhh my god. I'm definitely going to need to think about my school preferences.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”