Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
artichoke

Silver

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Post by artichoke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 am

mths wrote:
artichoke wrote:
im_blue wrote:
artichoke wrote:fuck. I really want to go to Cornell.
Why? You have CCN numbers.
Cornell is the right school for me. Pending my acceptance, of course.
And how do you feel about wed-sat drinking?
I don't like it as much as I like mon-sun drinking.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 am

pppokerface wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
pppokerface wrote:Woah so much hate for Cornell ha-I don't get it?
I don't even think that its THAT easy to get in...I rarely see 3.6/168s get in, at least from my LSN and TLS stats stalking. Usually its at least a higher GPA-like a 3.8+/168 that I see get in. Perhaps thats just me...
was this bump necessary? no.
no but it was sufficient.
Hahaha that was awful. Never try to make a joke again.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:18 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Truth is everyone considered Cornell to be the most reachable T-14 school and sent in an application to try their luck, possibly fueled by the horrible economy.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:19 am

Ragged wrote:Cornell Law School is like Paris Hiltion - easy to get into and has a well known and respected name which it doesn't live up to.
I thought that was Georgetown.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:20 am

im_blue wrote:
I don't even think that its THAT easy to get in...I rarely see 3.6/168s get in, at least from my LSN and TLS stats stalking. Usually its at least a higher GPA-like a 3.8+/168 that I see get in. Perhaps thats just me...
It's easy to get into relative to the rest of the T14, but at least they've pulled their medians out of the logjam of schools at 167. It was embarrassing last year when they were behind schools like Vandy, UCLA, GW, UT, WUSTL, and even Minn.
I don't get why Cornell medians were so low. Was it because they were holistic? I find it hard to believe Cornell had a hard time attracting 168+ LSAT applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:23 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote:
It's easy to get into relative to the rest of the T14, but at least they've pulled their medians out of the logjam of schools at 167. It was embarrassing last year when they were behind schools like Vandy, UCLA, GW, UT, WUSTL, and even Minn.
I don't get why Cornell medians were so low. Was it because they were holistic? I find it hard to believe Cornell had a hard time attracting 168+ LSAT applicants.
Cornell has relatively high 25th percentiles. I guess their priority is accepting the most qualified class rather than inflate their medians by taking splitters. They're also stingy with scholarship money so they can't attract too many above-median people.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 am

im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Cornell has relatively high 25th percentiles. I guess their priority is accepting the most qualified class rather than inflate their medians by taking splitters. They're also stingy with scholarship money so they can't attract too many above-median people.
That makes sense. I hope when you describe "most qualified" it means most well rounded gpa+lsat wise. I've heard Cornell is averse to splitters but if they start looking for softs+numbers I'm shit out of luck.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:29 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote: Cornell has relatively high 25th percentiles. I guess their priority is accepting the most qualified class rather than inflate their medians by taking splitters. They're also stingy with scholarship money so they can't attract too many above-median people.
That makes sense. I hope when you describe "most qualified" it means most well rounded gpa+lsat wise. I've heard Cornell is averse to splitters but if they start looking for softs+numbers I'm shit out of luck.
Right, they're looking for good GPA and LSAT, similar to Michigan and Duke. They're the 6th most numbers-oriented T14, so I don't think softs are too important.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =2&t=96231

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:31 am

im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote: Cornell has relatively high 25th percentiles. I guess their priority is accepting the most qualified class rather than inflate their medians by taking splitters. They're also stingy with scholarship money so they can't attract too many above-median people.
Right, they're looking for good GPA and LSAT, similar to Michigan and Duke. They're the 6th most numbers-oriented T14, so I don't think softs are too important.
Have you seen the chart with the LSAT+GPA for Duke? It surprised me how many they didn't accept that had a 170+/3.75+.

Only thing that I could think of is YP but over half were not "admitted". So is Duke going crazy with YP or what?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote: Right, they're looking for good GPA and LSAT, similar to Michigan and Duke. They're the 6th most numbers-oriented T14, so I don't think softs are too important.
Have you seen the chart with the LSAT+GPA for Duke? It surprised me how many they didn't accept that had a 170+/3.75+.

Only thing that I could think of is YP but over half were not "admitted". So is Duke going crazy with YP or what?
Duke shows 297/664 for 3.75+/170+ but if you check LSN for the same numbers you'll see 174 accepted and 16 WL, so 174/190 = 92%. I'm going to guess that it was a typo, since 597/664 = 90% is pretty close to the LSN sample, and 2 and 5 are next to each other on a numeric keypad. There's just no statistical possibility that LSN accounts for 174/297 = 59% of their acceptances but only 16/(664-297) = 4% of their rejections in this numbers range.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:44 am

artichoke wrote: I don't like it as much as I like mon-sun drinking.
Cornell is the school for you

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:54 am

im_blue wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
im_blue wrote: Right, they're looking for good GPA and LSAT, similar to Michigan and Duke. They're the 6th most numbers-oriented T14, so I don't think softs are too important.

Duke shows 297/664 for 3.75+/170+ but if you check LSN for the same numbers you'll see 174 accepted and 16 WL, so 174/190 = 92%. I'm going to guess that it was a typo, since 597/664 = 90% is pretty close to the LSN sample, and 2 and 5 are next to each other on a numeric keypad. There's just no statistical possibility that LSN accounts for 174/297 = 59% of their acceptances but only 16/(664-297) = 4% of their rejections in this numbers range.
Lol, that would be one big typo. Maybe someone should call and ask them.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 am

i broke a 170 and would love to go to cornell if they'll have me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 am

justadude55 wrote:i broke a 170 and would love to go to cornell if they'll have me.
You're GPA must be pretty low if you are worrying about Cornell with a 170.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:59 am

St.Remy wrote:
pppokerface wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
was this bump necessary? no.
no but it was sufficient.
Hahaha that was awful. Never try to make a joke again.
TLS can be a very scary place sometimes.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:11 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
justadude55 wrote:i broke a 170 and would love to go to cornell if they'll have me.
3.5 at a t-30 with a challenging course load + working f/t. not low. so far i'm in no where so i'm nervous....

but i'd choose cornell over half the top 14.
Last edited by justadude55 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
You're Your GPA must be pretty low if you are worrying about Cornell with a 170.
Anything below a 3.7 would probably be up in the air and in this day and age there are no guarantees.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:13 am

mths wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
You're Your GPA must be pretty low if you are worrying about Cornell with a 170.
Anything below a 3.7 would probably be up in the air and in this day and age there are no guarantees.
thanks for the vote of confidence, god.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

justadude55 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
3.5 at a t-30 with a challenging course load + working f/t. not low. just white.
I'd rather be a 3.5/170 than a 168/3.79 (my case).

But I guess on the bright side I can always retake...while a low gpa is harder to raise (time/money wise anyways).

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 am

justadude55 wrote: thanks for the vote of confidence, god.
:lol:

It wasn't personal. I know people's cycles were all over the place in my class and there were some pretty weird accepts/rejects. You have a very good chance of making it in here and I'm sure I'd love to have you as a classmate.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:17 am

mths wrote:

It wasn't personal. I know people's cycles were all over the place in my class and there were some pretty weird accepts/rejects. You have a very good chance of making it in here and I'm sure I'd love to have you as a classmate.
well if you're looking for a good sense of humor and someone who loves acquiring power and money while remaining a nice guy, you'll like me. if not, i look forward to taking your job offers ;-)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

justadude55 wrote:
mths wrote:

well if you're looking for a good sense of humor and someone who loves acquiring power and money while remaining a nice guy, you'll like me. if not, i look forward to taking your job offers ;-)
just come out and drink and don't be an insufferable gunner and you'll do just fine

also, I hope you enjoyed high school cause welcome back

Not too worried about a 1L taking my job offers though....

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:23 am

hahaha i don't really know what makes 1 a gunner.

in undergrad, i compensated for showing up an hour late and not doing much of the assigned reading by developing relationships with the teachers (even hired some TA's for my company part time), but this was mostly cause i was soooo bored of the classes once i got interested in law.

i definitely participate a lot, but i don't have to be right....i like learning from being wrong. i do love drinking though, and while i take making $ seriously, have never been soooo serious about school. idk if this makes me a gunner.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 am

justadude55 wrote:hahaha i don't really know what makes 1 a gunner.

in undergrad, i compensated for showing up an hour late and not doing much of the assigned reading by developing relationships with the teachers (even hired some TA's for my company part time), but this was mostly cause i was soooo bored of the classes once i got interested in law.

i definitely participate a lot, but i don't have to be right....i like learning from being wrong. i do love drinking though, and while i take making $ seriously, have never been soooo serious about school. idk if this makes me a gunner.
I don't know how next year's class is going to be but this year's is very chill and extremely cool. I've made some amazing friends here. Everyone studies a lot but if you stay involved in the social arena and learn to laugh at yourself you'll really enjoy your time here.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 am

yeah would definitely love some cool friends in law schools. for years now, i've been debating with friends of mine, not about law, but LSAT type logic on who the hottest girls are, the best football team, best wings, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”