Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clintonius

Silver

Re: Cornell the Lady Gaga of Law Schools

Post by clintonius » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
artichoke wrote:
ahduth wrote:
artichoke wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love love drinking, just maybe not four loko... or pbr.. or 5'o...

But out of curiousity, what T14 schools would you say are NOT like that?
Uhh, I don't go to law school yet, but back when I was an undergraduate, NYU was in... downtown New York City. There were a couple different bars, like, around. You could probably even find Four Loko if you wanted.
Helpful. Thanks.
I would imagine ALL the schools in a major city would be similar. NU is in the heart of downtown chicago. Columbia is also in manhattan. etc.
Yeah, NYU has tons of delightful (read: non-fratty) bars all over. It's great.

On an unrelated note, I didn't realize NU law was separate from the main campus until just now.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I was at bar louie on friday and it was definitely a frattastic time. Seriosuly though, all the frat kids go to either bar louie/toms or morgan street at least a couple times a week. Half the time i'm in one of those places it is at least half WUSTL juniors and seniors.
Huh, I think we're just working with very different definitions of fratty- but I also think these definitions are dependent upon the school. Frats (and bros) at SLU, for example, are worlds apart from frats at WUSTL, which barely resemble frats at Mizzou.
This is probably true. But my definition of fratty here is lots of drunkenness that often leads to being loud and obnoxious, dancing, making out/hooking up, and generally not worrying about how you look besides getting with a female. TBF, I used to go, before I transferred, to a large state school, and it wasn't that much crazier or different from here.

EDIT: also, I'm not sure the "fratty" stuff people see in movies actually happens at most schools. So that kind of stuff isn't waht i'm talking about.
I dunno, my friends and I did a pretty good interpretation of Animal House for a few years at SLU, and I have some friends at Mizzou who are still like that. But that's why my GPA is 3.4 after a long struggle to bring my grades up, and that's why I'm eager to leave bros in undergrad. Freshman year was great, but I don't want a repeat in law school.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 am

clintonius wrote:Yeah, NYU has tons of delightful (read: non-fratty) bars all over. It's great.

On an unrelated note, I didn't realize NU law was separate from the main campus until just now.
The thing really is that there are very few "NYU" bars, period. I never ventured up to Columbia, but I think it's probably in a similar boat to Northwestern and Chicago, inasmuch as they're in the city, and you have access to tons of shit, but it's not at the epicenter of New York nightlife.

The area Northwestern is in is a little flash and trash for my taste, but you're in North Loop, River North, or whatever it is over there, and you can basically get wherever you want no sweat.

But all of that really just doesn't compare to NYU's location. It's a cut above in terms of non... Four Loko-type shit to do. Is Orchard Bar still there?

At any rate, I think I just sold myself on trying to head back to the village. Maybe the Violets will let me back in.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 am

where are NYU's good bars?

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:16 am

ahduth wrote:
clintonius wrote:Yeah, NYU has tons of delightful (read: non-fratty) bars all over. It's great.

The thing really is that there are very few "NYU" bars, period. I never ventured up to Columbia, but I think it's probably in a similar boat to Northwestern and Chicago, inasmuch as they're in the city, and you have access to tons of shit, but it's not at the epicenter of New York nightlife.

The area Northwestern is in is a little flash and trash for my taste, but you're in North Loop, River North, or whatever it is over there, and you can basically get wherever you want no sweat.

But all of that really just doesn't compare to NYU's location. It's a cut above in terms of non... Four Loko-type shit to do. Is Orchard Bar still there?

At any rate, I think I just sold myself on trying to head back to the village. Maybe the Violets will let me back in.
Of course NY is going to offer more to do than other locations might... the real issue is whether or not one can afford it. Unfortunately, "non four loko type shit" tends to be more expensive, which I anticipate being an issue for me in the near future. My point is, while I would love to attend NYU or Columbia for the great education and incredible nightlife, it seems a bit unrealistic at this point :?
Last edited by artichoke on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:17 am

NYC is definitely more $, but it's easier to make $ in NYC. the perception is kind of the american dollar is a little warped so it balances. if you work in NY, but live in Jersey, you would have it made but the cost of commuting would make you poor again.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 am

justadude55 wrote:NYC is definitely more $, but it's easier to make $ in NYC. the perception is kind of the american dollar is a little warped so it balances. if you work in NY, but live in Jersey, you would have it made but the cost of commuting would make you poor again.
the PATH is cheaper than the subway, and NJ income tax is way lower than NYC, so... how is this true at all?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 am

JG Hall wrote:
justadude55 wrote:NYC is definitely more $, but it's easier to make $ in NYC. the perception is kind of the american dollar is a little warped so it balances. if you work in NY, but live in Jersey, you would have it made but the cost of commuting would make you poor again.
the PATH is cheaper than the subway, and NJ income tax is way lower than NYC, so... how is this true at all?
Yah, really. Cause it's not like anyone does this in practice or anything :roll:

Suburb supremacy: Westchester (NY) /Fairfield (CT)>NJ>Long Island

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:52 am

How did this devolve into an NYU discussion?
Duke is where its at - all we do is chug Oban and pop bottles of Grand Cru 'err day.
In all seriousness though, Durham bars have a way better beer selection than any New York City bar (Dogfish Head is standard tap beer in most places).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 am

pelmen74 wrote:How did this devolve into an NYU discussion?
Duke is where its at - all we do is chug Oban and pop bottles of Grand Cru 'err day.
In all seriousness though, Durham bars have a way better beer selection than any New York City bar (Dogfish Head is standard tap beer in most places).
My ED app is currently in review... let's do this thing, Duke.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:02 pm

pelmen74 wrote:In all seriousness though, Durham bars have a way better beer selection than any New York City bar.
I find this difficult to believe. I do wish we had more dogfishhead, though.

ahduth: google seems to believe that Orchard Bar is still around, though I've never been. What's it like?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 pm

beachbum wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:How did this devolve into an NYU discussion?
My ED app is currently in review... let's do this thing, Duke.
Speaking of Duke, I've noticed that they have a 20% yield which is 3rd lowest of the T14 (Chicago/GULC 19%) and just ahead of Cornell's 23%. Seems kind of strange to me, since Duke has massive lay prestige, nice weather, and places as well as MVP and NU.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 pm

clintonius wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:In all seriousness though, Durham bars have a way better beer selection than any New York City bar.
I find this difficult to believe. I do wish we had more dogfishhead, though.

ahduth: google seems to believe that Orchard Bar is still around, though I've never been. What's it like?
any NYC bar: http://www.gingerman-ny.com/

Well okay that one's a little over the top. But they have a lot of beer.

Orchard Bar looks like its closed now actually, they just had good music and good drinks, and I ended up there a lot.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:14 pm

mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.
If you're too cool to drink a four loko, I don't wanna know you.
Four Loko will no longer be sold in NY state.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alcoholic_energy_drinks

artichoke

Silver

Post by artichoke » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

im_blue wrote:
mths wrote:
mteevin wrote:there's a reason the incidence of alcoholism is much higher amongst attorneys than the general population. once you get to law school, you'll be pounding natty as fast as you can get your hands on it when you have a free hour or two.

They've cracked down here as well (WA).

wildcathighfive

Bronze

Post by wildcathighfive » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 pm

artichoke wrote:
im_blue wrote:
mths wrote:

They've cracked down here as well (WA).

also banned in michigan recently

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 59982.html

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I better stock up for after my 1L finals before they're gone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”