Applying PT in NY...how is this gonna go down? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joetenfour

New

Applying PT in NY...how is this gonna go down?

Post by joetenfour » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Howdy folks!

Long-time lurker. Coming out into the open due to my apps being in for a month or so and I need something to do between reloading my application status pages! Figured I would run my stats by you all and see if you had any insight as to what I might be able to expect, especially those of you who are at a more advanced stage in this process than I am.

Applied to most every part-time program in the NY metro area (Fordham, St. John's, Pace, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Pace, NYLS), save for the ones in Jersey and Long Island (too much of a schlep for me). LSAT's 161, LSAC GPA is 3.25, graduated Fordham undergrad with a 3.39. Main soft factor is five years law enforcement experience with, um, a very large local agency, maybe some personal adversity during my undergrad years.

Anyways, I'm sure these "Where am I going to get in?" posts are tiresome, but I'd love to know what you think, through the prism of your own experiences. LS Predictor says I've got at least a shot at most of these schools... encouraging as that may be, I'm taking that info with a pillar of salt. Think the cop thing will help or hinder? Is there any money left to be had at this point? Current students, any experiences at these places that you can relate?

Thanks in advance, and good luck to all.

BenJ

Silver

Re: Applying PT in NY...how is this gonna go down?

Post by BenJ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Fordham: Out
Cardozo: WL/Out
Brooklyn: WL/In (would be out for FT)
St. John's: In
Pace: In
NYLS: In

Also, not sure if you know, but Pace's law school is way up in White Plains. Rutgers-Newark and Seton Hall are probably closer to you unless you're in the Bronx or NE Queens.

Work experience always helps, and being in the NYPD (large local law enforcement, :lol:) would definitely help for a criminal law focus. No idea about money, but lower-tier law schools tend not to have much money to throw around anyway, let alone late.

joetenfour

New

Post by joetenfour » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks, Ben, that's about what I expect. Going to be staying on the job afterwards, not looking to go to "BIGLAW" or anything like that, just teach or or do private practice when I retire (in 15 years!) so it frankly comes down to expense and convenience for me. Just want to learn and meet good people.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Fordham will probably WL you, especially if you didn't apply super late. The school likes to admit its own, and your WE is likely to be looked upon favorably. If you retook and went +3, you would cinch it.

<---- current PT student.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:17 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Fordham will probably WL you, especially if you didn't apply super late. The school likes to admit its own, and your WE is likely to be looked upon favorably. If you retook and went +3, you would cinch it.

Also, her title is true. She is the Princess of Fordham, and an excellent source of Fordham information!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joetenfour

New

Post by joetenfour » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:34 pm

booboo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Fordham will probably WL you, especially if you didn't apply super late. The school likes to admit its own, and your WE is likely to be looked upon favorably. If you retook and went +3, you would cinch it.

Also, her title is true. She is the Princess of Fordham, and an excellent source of Fordham information!
Aw, man, a WL at Fordham would totally be a win in my book, even if it's a symbolic one. I wasn't sure if there would be any kind of alumni love (almost expect the opposite!), but good to hear that it may be a factor. I pretty much laid it out to them in my PS that Fordham's my first choice and that I consider it to be "home" in a sense... might be a bit forward and ill-advised, but, eh, it's the truth.

The middling LSAT score does burn me some, I feel like those 3 points aren't impossible, but am deathly afraid of doing the same or worse on a third retake. Got a 158 cold before, then with some studying on my own, got it to 161. Wish I could take some courses, but I work nights and my days off are screwy.

...in any case, thanks for the hope, your highness. :) If I'm WL-ed, you'll recognize me as the guy on 62nd street chalking love notes to the admissions office on the sidewalk.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:48 pm

joetenfour wrote:
booboo wrote:

Aw, man, a WL at Fordham would totally be a win in my book, even if it's a symbolic one. I wasn't sure if there would be any kind of alumni love (almost expect the opposite!), but good to hear that it may be a factor. I pretty much laid it out to them in my PS that Fordham's my first choice and that I consider it to be "home" in a sense... might be a bit forward and ill-advised, but, eh, it's the truth.

The middling LSAT score does burn me some, I feel like those 3 points aren't impossible, but am deathly afraid of doing the same or worse on a third retake. Got a 158 cold before, then with some studying on my own, got it to 161. Wish I could take some courses, but I work nights and my days off are screwy.

...in any case, thanks for the hope, your highness. :) If I'm WL-ed, you'll recognize me as the guy on 62nd street chalking love notes to the admissions office on the sidewalk.
:oops: You guys need to stop!

OP, please don't make the mistake I made and sell yourself short. I was working full time too, and I had no money for a course or a tutor. I had very little time to study, and didn't know how to go about it properly. As a result, I will literally never know what might have been. People say I was at least six points from my LSAT ceiling. I started studying for a retake, and with proper support from TLS, jumped five points before calling off my retake when I was pulled from the waitlist. I had multiple offers of free tutoring, but you don't even need that. The people on here are brilliant, and will help you as much as they can. If you are waitlisted, I would register for the June LSAT (as I did) and do everything you can to raise your score. I regret not doing so, because I am paying sticker, and even a small scholarship would have meant a lot to me.

Fordham UG is something like the #5 feeder school for Fordham Law. Looking around at the schools some of my classmates came from, I am inclined to believe there is a small boost, though I have no proof.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”