There is no point in visiting a law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Re: There is no point in visiting a law school

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm

GATORTIM wrote:I visited Yale (only b/c I was attending a wedding in CT) and ended up hooking up with an undergrad...it was kinda worth it

This may be the best campus visit story ever. It will inspire future generations to visit Yale regardless of their chances of admission. :mrgreen:

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Kakarot wrote:Janitors tend to know the MOST about schools. They are there all the time and will be honest and upfront with you more than students or professors. They don't care if you go and are rather easy to befriend. So in future tours: check out comfort levels, breate in the air, and talk to a janitor.

this is really good advice. i've worked in a mailroom for my entire UG, and the non-professional staff are not only honest about their experiences, but can be some of the most caring, welcoming people i've met here. the bottom line is, a school that treats its staff members well is more likely to treat you well. (and not to be preachy, but being nice to staff can really pay off later.)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:06 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i was sure id attend ASW before, but now im not as certain

i am 99% deadset on my school for a lot of reasons, including personal ones involving my SO

i am pretty adaptable, i guess you could say...i dont really mind the weather, the campus outlook, the city, etc. i mean, some are better than others (imo), but i make due regardless

now im starting to wonder if i should bother spending the money going to the ASW if im going to pick the school anyways..?

are there other factors important/significant about a school's ASW besides the "choosing it" part?

partying/social networking, although obviously not essential. it might be neat to meet and connect with some of your future classmates

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 pm

englawyer wrote:partying/social networking, although obviously not essential. it might be neat to meet and connect with some of your future classmates

read: find a roommate.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 pm

OP wasted a visit. It's not just touring the facilities, it's a chance to inter-personally ask questions regarding the curriculum, to sit in on classes, to talk to administrators and maybe even network for potential scholarships.

I have visited two schools thus far: one sent a student that showed me around the law school, the other sent an admissions rep, showed me the entire university, and introduced me to one of my potential 1L professors. He also gave me a list of places to have dinner that evening. This sort of thing means a lot to me.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Janitors tend to know the MOST about schools. They are there all the time and will be honest and upfront with you more than students or professors. They don't care if you go and are rather easy to befriend. So in future tours: check out comfort levels, breate in the air, and talk to a janitor.

this is really good advice. i've worked in a mailroom for my entire UG, and the non-professional staff are not only honest about their experiences, but can be some of the most caring, welcoming people i've met here. the bottom line is, a school that treats its staff members well is more likely to treat you well. (and not to be preachy, but being nice to staff can really pay off later.)

I so agree with both of you. Kakarot makes a seemingly trivial point about sitting in the chairs, but you'd be surprised. I visited a school last month that had those chairs that are anchored to the desk, and the chair next to it, and they swivel. So, every time you move, you swing around, and the guy next to you bumps up a bit. Just weird. Plus, I like my own "space" ( fung shui aside). All things being equal, a good building, freshly mown grass, caring janitors (who are, don't you doubt it for one second, the guardian angels of the halls), and a bright blue sky make a difference...hell yes, that's my school.

Few years ago, my then fiance had been accepted to both Stanford and Harvard. All set to go to Harvard. Then we made a visit to Boston. Granted, it was late March or so. But when we got to the law school and walked through all thoses damn underground tunnels that link the classrooms? F no. Off to Stanford he went, and me with him.

Took one look at NESL in Boston last month. Dirty, I mean filthy, windows. Done.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:31 pm

summerstar wrote:the guardian angels of the halls

hahahhahaha can you say SCRUBS

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm

never watch it...elaborate, please

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:01 pm

summerstar wrote:never watch it...elaborate, please

FLAME!!!.... The janitor in scrubs basically runs the hospital or at least thinks he does. Are you a girl?

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v2mEg9Cpvs

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Kakarot wrote:

FLAME!!!.... The janitor in scrubs basically runs the hospital or at least thinks he does. Are you a girl?

Watch this:

No Flame, and from YOU Kakaroot, whom I just agreed with! SHAME! and no...I'm not a "girl" I'm a woman. I've seen it here and there, of course, but don't watch a lot of television actually, and not enough to know the janitor's role!!! Jeez.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:12 pm

saw the youtube clip. got it. duh. anyway it's an archetype of sorts, brilliantly illustrated by his role in Scrubs because it's so true.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:13 pm

summerstar wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Watch this:

No Flame, and from YOU Kakaroot, whom I just agreed with! SHAME! and no...I'm not a "girl" I'm a woman. I've seen it here and there, of course, but don't watch a lot of television actually, and not enough to know the janitor's role!!! Jeez.

Sorry for calling you a girl. That explains it though, women don't like scrubs the same way men do.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:15 pm

oh, don't apologize, I'll take it as a compliment :wink: .

I DO like Grey's Anatomy, though, does that count, will you forgive me?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Kakarot wrote:Sorry for calling you a girl. That explains it though, women don't like scrubs the same way men do.

that and the fact that i really appreciate summerstar being a girl and having a boob avatar probably makes me a dude.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:20 pm

summerstar wrote:oh, don't apologize, I'll take it as a compliment :wink: .

I DO like Grey's Anatomy, though, does that count, will you forgive me?

No, that makes you worse off.... Might as well say "I watch days of our lives." If you watch the daily show or colbert report then you are fine?

jayn3 wrote:that and the fact that i really appreciate summerstar being a girl and having a boob avatar probably makes me a dude.

If it was a self tar +1000 if not blah... I learned long ago not to assume avatar = gender.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 pm

LOL...well, I am so so so a woman, and that is a damn close self tar, or I wouldn't have put it up.

Hmmm. never mind.....

What I mean to say is, no I never watch soaps ( ew ew ew) and yes to Daily show and of course Colbert. I'm not under a rock, you know.

Boston Legal, The Practice, The Good Wife...now that's kick ass.

Oh, and just for good measure, so you know I'm a bona fide "girl"...the Kardashians, and Housewives of ANY city. eeek...now I'm done for.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok so what have we learned here, kids? Yes, yes, visit the schools, especially if you have doubts about it, so you can rule it out or conversely, if you think you could fall in love with it, then affirm that fact.

Just like the avatars here...what's really behind them?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:59 pm

Kakarot wrote:If it was a self tar +1000 if not blah... I learned long ago not to assume avatar = gender.

oh man, sounds like you've got a great story behind this mantra ;)

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 pm

soda mayor wrote:There is no point in visiting a law school

LOL

adora

Postby adora » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Though most law schools probably put on a show for admitted students when they visit, some don't. There are plenty of horror stories about bad visits...and I think that those experiences are more telling than the good ones. I'm visiting a school in February in a city I know I'll love and on a campus I know is beautiful. But I want to make sure they present themselves well. Pretty much, I just want to make sure they care enough to make themselves look good for me. And I just want to make sure there aren't any red flags...I figure, I'm going to be there for three years and spend lots of money on it-I should make sure everything is right.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:28 pm

adora wrote:Though most law schools probably put on a show for admitted students when they visit, some don't. There are plenty of horror stories about bad visits...and I think that those experiences are more telling than the good ones. I'm visiting a school in February in a city I know I'll love and on a campus I know is beautiful. But I want to make sure they present themselves well. Pretty much, I just want to make sure they care enough to make themselves look good for me. And I just want to make sure there aren't any red flags...I figure, I'm going to be there for three years and spend lots of money on it-I should make sure everything is right.

I want to hear the horror stories (and you're so right, it's more revealing). Any threads apropos?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:35 pm

I can't imagine choosing a school without visiting. I mean, it would be just about 100% inconceivable to me, absent extreme personal hardship to commit to going somewhere I had not explored not just once, but at length. By the time I committed to my school, I knew enough about it that I could lead tours, and now that I'm a 1L, I get to do just that. This isn't just about sitting in some chairs, as others have said. It's about immersing yourself in the neighborhood where your school is located; taking the public transportation, eating at the cafes, drinking at the bars, shopping at the grocery stores. Maybe it is because I'm a girl, but I did want to be comfortable, and I am. There is something intangible in the air when a school is a good fit for you. I felt similarly about Northeastern, oddly enough, and I was thinking hard about going there before Fordham accepted me.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:43 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I can't imagine choosing a school without visiting. I mean, it would be just about 100% inconceivable to me, absent extreme personal hardship to commit to going somewhere I had not explored not just once, but at length. By the time I committed to my school, I knew enough about it that I could lead tours, and now that I'm a 1L, I get to do just that. This isn't just about sitting in some chairs, as others have said. It's about immersing yourself in the neighborhood where your school is located; taking the public transportation, eating at the cafes, drinking at the bars, shopping at the grocery stores. Maybe it is because I'm a girl, but I did want to be comfortable, and I am. There is something intangible in the air when a school is a good fit for you. I felt similarly about Northeastern, oddly enough, and I was thinking hard about going there before Fordham accepted me.

I was wondering how long it would take you to show up here. :wink:

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I can't imagine choosing a school without visiting. I mean, it would be just about 100% inconceivable to me, absent extreme personal hardship to commit to going somewhere I had not explored not just once, but at length. By the time I committed to my school, I knew enough about it that I could lead tours, and now that I'm a 1L, I get to do just that. This isn't just about sitting in some chairs, as others have said. It's about immersing yourself in the neighborhood where your school is located; taking the public transportation, eating at the cafes, drinking at the bars, shopping at the grocery stores. Maybe it is because I'm a girl, but I did want to be comfortable, and I am. There is something intangible in the air when a school is a good fit for you. I felt similarly about Northeastern, oddly enough, and I was thinking hard about going there before Fordham accepted me.

I was wondering how long it would take you to show up here. :wink:

and to mention that Fordham accepted you. :roll:

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you are choosing between Michigan and Virginia with equal cost, and you want NYC big law, why not choose based on the campus, they are peer schools and you are living there for three years.

Both campuses are beautiful

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”