A waitlisted loser at safety school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Me-a Culpa

A waitlisted loser at safety school

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Okay, I’ve lurked this forum for a while. By the way, the PS guide is awesome. My question is: am I fucked? How could this happen?

I’m purposely leaving the school name and my numbers out. I have absolutely NO desire to make someone with similar or lower numbers feel as crappy as I do.

About 15 minutes ago, I was waitlisted at a TTT(thanks to the testmaster's thread, I now know what it means). It was a SUPER safety school that I had no plans to attend.

My LSAT and GPA are well above the 75% averages, but not so high that it was ridiculous. I’m a non-trad. My “softs” are good with very strong work history. Further, I have a shit load of volunteer work and strong commitment to public interest law -- I know everyone says this, but I’m serious. My DS and PS are well written, edited by 3 different professors and an author of many published books; although, the two statements are controversial. They detail a fucked up childhood and strung-out, crack-head parents while chronicling my life from trailer-trash (no offense intended) to upper-middle class.

Potential app issues:
1. A lengthy criminal history of misdemeanors. The worst was 10 years ago: DUI reduced to a negligent driving. The other stuff is from another lifetime.
2. Three minor grammatical errors … the DS was too sad…(?);
3. App was not submitted until late Jan.

Damn, maybe I used the wrong school name. I wrote one essay and merged the wrong names

Before anyone says the economy is bad, job prospects sucks and I should “rethink” law school, I plan to pay out of pocket. It would not be a strain on me or my family’s lifestyle. I’d be fine if I NEVER got a job. I'm planning on purely pro bono work. I only write this to provide context… Law school is to prove something to myself, and additionally, pro bono work was my way of “giving back” to society -- dead serious.

So, does anyone have any ideas how this could happen? Has this ever happened? Or, by following the TLS paradigm, you could just tell me I’m a complete loser. At least I’ll have another reason to drown my sorrows (and anger) with a shitload of grey goose...

jks289

Re: A waitlisted loser at safety school

Postby jks289 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:48 pm

There are a few answers to being waitlisted at a safety. Yield protection: They find it so unlikely you will attend they stick you on the waitlist to see. Reservations about an application element: Anything you listed would do it (DUI, old drug charges, careless mistakes on application). Or you misjudged it as a safety: Unlikely if you are over 75% on both, but maybe you've got your numbers wrong. Is it possible one of your LORs expressed concern over you abilities or fitness?

Relax, it is a waitlist and if it actually a third tier school, you will get off it. The best thing to do is to contact an admissions officer and say you are still really interested in the school, and ask what specific types of information might you suppliment to help them with their decision. Do not come off as irritated or surprised or entitled. Just act like you are mildly disappointed but as determined as ever. It will be fine.
Last edited by jks289 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:Okay, I’ve lurked this forum for a while. By the way, the PS guide is awesome. My question is: am I fucked? How could this happen?

I’m purposely leaving the school name and my numbers out. I have absolutely NO desire to make someone with similar or lower numbers feel as crappy as I do.

About 15 minutes ago, I was waitlisted at a TTT(thanks to the testmaster's thread, I now know what it means). It was a SUPER safety school that I had no plans to attend.

My LSAT and GPA are well above the 75% averages, but not so high that it was ridiculous. I’m a non-trad. My “softs” are good with very strong work history. Further, I have a shit load of volunteer work and strong commitment to public interest law -- I know everyone says this, but I’m serious. My DS and PS are well written, edited by 3 different professors and an author of many published books; although, the two statements are controversial. They detail a fucked up childhood and strung-out, crack-head parents while chronicling my life from trailer-trash (no offense intended) to upper-middle class.

Potential app issues:
1. A lengthy criminal history of misdemeanors. The worst was 10 years ago: DUI reduced to a negligent driving. The other stuff is from another lifetime.
2. Three minor grammatical errors … the DS was too sad…(?);
3. App was not submitted until late Jan.

Damn, maybe I used the wrong school name. I wrote one essay and merged the wrong names

Before anyone says the economy is bad, job prospects sucks and I should “rethink” law school, I plan to pay out of pocket. It would not be a strain on me or my family’s lifestyle. I’d be fine if I NEVER got a job. I'm planning on purely pro bono work. I only write this to provide context… Law school is to prove something to myself, and additionally, pro bono work was my way of “giving back” to society -- dead serious.

So, does anyone have any ideas how this could happen? Has this ever happened? Or, by following the TLS paradigm, you could just tell me I’m a complete loser. At least I’ll have another reason to drown my sorrows (and anger) with a shitload of grey goose...

I would say you got YP'ed.

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:07 pm

OGR3 wrote:I would say you got YP'ed.

Oh damn, thanks... I don't have top 10 numbers, but I have numbers that are quite a bit higher than their 75% range. Fuuny, I just expected them to throw money at higher numbers.

I did not know what "YP" meant until reading this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52630

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:
OGR3 wrote:I would say you got YP'ed.

Oh damn, thanks... I don't have top 10 numbers, but I have numbers that are quite a bit higher than their 75% range. Fuuny, I just expected them to throw money at higher numbers.

I did not know what "YP" meant until reading this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52630

Some schools that are considered a safety will throw you money if you have a strong connection to them "location, UG, or family going there." Most though, know you aren't coming and YP. Dean Pless is great though and doesn't YP, but look at LSN and you will see at least 95% of schools YP..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”