Using JD as a backdoor into MBA? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ChildPlease

New

Re: Using JD as a backdoor into MBA?

Post by ChildPlease » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks guys for your information. If you performed well in your first year at a top law school how likely would b-schools be to let you in without work experience?

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 pm

echoi wrote:Pros and Cons of a JD/MBA at Veritas Prep Blog: http://blog.veritasprep.com/2009/04/pro ... jdmba.html
Tier Three -- Coin toss. At many universities -- examples include Chicago, Berkeley, Duke, Cornell, Virginia, and UCLA -- it is hard to know which program has the greater relative strength. They are often rated similarly by the prominent ranking systems and have similar national reach. In these cases, you can often assume that the law student will still enjoy the benefit of the doubt and find good opportunities at the business school. This author experienced this first hand at Chicago, where attendance at the law school served as a sort of de facto qualification for attending the business school.
Really hoping the bolded part is true.
Are you interested in the Chicago JD/MBA? Because I have some mild interest...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 pm

ChildPlease wrote:Thanks guys for your information. If you performed well in your first year at a top law school how likely would b-schools be to let you in without work experience?
pretty unlikely i think. b-schools usually want at least 2 years experience.

ChildPlease

New

Post by ChildPlease » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 pm

englawyer wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:Thanks guys for your information. If you performed well in your first year at a top law school how likely would b-schools be to let you in without work experience?
pretty unlikely i think. b-schools usually want at least 2 years experience.
That's what I thought but I am wondering if it might be worth a shot anyways since I don't believe they explicitly require work experience.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:48 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
echoi wrote:Pros and Cons of a JD/MBA at Veritas Prep Blog: http://blog.veritasprep.com/2009/04/pro ... jdmba.html
Tier Three -- Coin toss. At many universities -- examples include Chicago, Berkeley, Duke, Cornell, Virginia, and UCLA -- it is hard to know which program has the greater relative strength. They are often rated similarly by the prominent ranking systems and have similar national reach. In these cases, you can often assume that the law student will still enjoy the benefit of the doubt and find good opportunities at the business school. This author experienced this first hand at Chicago, where attendance at the law school served as a sort of de facto qualification for attending the business school.
Really hoping the bolded part is true.
Are you interested in the Chicago JD/MBA? Because I have some mild interest...
Yeah, it's something I want to keep open as an option. I'm planning on taking a few classes from Booth at the very least, but if I can get admitted to the MBA program, I think I'll go ahead and get the dual degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I know one JD/MBA from my school who is straight out of undergrad. My understanding is it's relatively rare though.

For a regular MBA, it's basically unheard of.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm going to bump this instead of starting a new thread.

But, are there many b-schools that essentially look at someone applying from the law school and say "Get this GMAT score and you're in" (I won't really have any applicable real world experience, even though I'll be out of school for two years before matriculating into law school). Let's say, Illinois, Indiana, OSU, and Michigan for fun?

Indiana's Kelley School of Business says this of four year JD/MBA students:

"Who should pursue the four-year joint program?

"If you're interested in practicing law that involves business clients, working in a corporate law department, or have future entrepreneurial interests, the four-year program may be a good option for you. The four-year program is better suited to those with minimal to no post-college work experience and prepares students for careers in either business or law." emphasis added

FWIW, I like IU's emphasis on entrepreneurship, so even if I'd get into Vandy or G-Town and could essentially get into their business schools if the "Get this GMAT score" paradigm exists, at least from their website; I'd strongly consider being a Hoosier.

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 am

Can someone clarify this for me.....Can apply to the MBA program during my first year at LS or do i need to apply as a joint candidate now?

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:21 am

nphsbuckeye wrote:I'm going to bump this instead of starting a new thread.

But, are there many b-schools that essentially look at someone applying from the law school and say "Get this GMAT score and you're in" (I won't really have any applicable real world experience, even though I'll be out of school for two years before matriculating into law school). Let's say, Illinois, Indiana, OSU, and Michigan for fun?

Indiana's Kelley School of Business says this of four year JD/MBA students:

"Who should pursue the four-year joint program?

"If you're interested in practicing law that involves business clients, working in a corporate law department, or have future entrepreneurial interests, the four-year program may be a good option for you. The four-year program is better suited to those with minimal to no post-college work experience and prepares students for careers in either business or law." emphasis added

FWIW, I like IU's emphasis on entrepreneurship, so even if I'd get into Vandy or G-Town and could essentially get into their business schools if the "Get this GMAT score" paradigm exists, at least from their website; I'd strongly consider being a Hoosier.
I dont think so. I dont think MBA programs rly care a whole lot if ur pursuing a law degree. In general, u need to be competitive in both programs cuz ur basically just applying to both programs individually and need to get accepted into both the normal way. MBA programs do put a lot of weight on your essays, so if u can effectively explain how u will use the dual degree program and y its necessary, then it might help u out a bit. However, I think if ur not going to have much w/e for the MBA program, then u need to have a sig higher GMAT than normal cuz the #'s will then hold more weight.
JD=Doctor wrote:Can someone clarify this for me.....Can apply to the MBA program during my first year at LS or do i need to apply as a joint candidate now?
For all the schools I have seen, u can apply to the MBA program during 1L year, but each school is different so u should probably double check w/ all the schools u have n mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 pm

fugitivejammer wrote: I dont think so. I dont think MBA programs rly care a whole lot if ur pursuing a law degree. In general, u need to be competitive in both programs cuz ur basically just applying to both programs individually and need to get accepted into both the normal way. MBA programs do put a lot of weight on your essays, so if u can effectively explain how u will use the dual degree program and y its necessary, then it might help u out a bit. However, I think if ur not going to have much w/e for the MBA program, then u need to have a sig higher GMAT than normal cuz the #'s will then hold more weight.
I'm fairly familiar with b-school admissions and how that are actually holistic, but there seems to be a bunch of conflicting information about JD/MBA admissions. And yes, a high GMAT will always help (so does GPA, but law school GPAs are usually much higher). That's why I found that question by Indiana interesting - they're saying that that program is good for people without much WE. I'll find out soon enough...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”