Oklahoma presence in Texas

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sudoku

Oklahoma presence in Texas

Postby sudoku » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:54 am

I intend to practice in Texas, so naturally, I've applied to numerous Texas schools vacillating in rank from T3 and T4 schools, to my reaches, SMU and Baylor. I am confident I will be accepted into a third or fourth tier Texas school (my GPA leaves something to be desired, hence T2 schools as my reaches), but how effective is an Oklahoma law degree in Texas? Would an Oklahoma acceptance carry more Texas regional weight than, say, a St. Mary's, or South Texas College of Law degree?
Last edited by sudoku on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Re: Oklahoma presence in Texas

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 am

sudoku wrote:I intend to practice in Texas, so naturally, I've applied to numerous Texas schools vacillating in rank from T3 and T4 schools, to my reaches, SMU and Baylor. I am confident I will be accepted into a third or fourth tier Texas school (my GPA leaves something to be desired, hence T2 schools as my reaches), but how effective is an Oklahoma law degree in Texas? Would an Oklahoma acceptance carry more Texas regional weight than, say, a Texas Tech, St. Mary's, or South Texas College of Law degree?

My initial reaction would be that OU isn't going to carry much weight in Texas, but checkout [url]nalpdirectory.org[ /url] for yourself and see if any of the Texas firms are going there to recruit. I've checked this before and don't remember seeing OU pop up, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

sudoku

Postby sudoku » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks!!! I appreciate your help!

adrib

Postby adrib » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:07 am

what are your stats? SMU is pretty good to splitters, at least on LSN.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 am

sudoku wrote:I intend to practice in Texas, so naturally, I've applied to numerous Texas schools vacillating in rank from T3 and T4 schools, to my reaches, SMU and Baylor. I am confident I will be accepted into a third or fourth tier Texas school (my GPA leaves something to be desired, hence T2 schools as my reaches), but how effective is an Oklahoma law degree in Texas? Would an Oklahoma acceptance carry more Texas regional weight than, say, a Texas Tech, St. Mary's, or South Texas College of Law degree?

You've thought this through? It's dangerous to try to jump markets from SMU/Baylor without very good grades and I can't imagine that the outcomes from a third or fourth tier Texas school will be great with UT hogging the market.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 am

In general, I wouldn't advise name-dropping OU if you want to get ahead in the state of Texas. :lol:

May I refer you to this thread, with urgency:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106247

There are other bits you should read, but here's a response that's directly relevant to your OU question:

Funky JD wrote:Long shot: Oklahoma*
-- * Based on a friend's experience, Oklahoma gives you a shot at Dallas -- but by a shot, I mean, you are trying to land a 747 on a short runway in some serious turbulence created by the above schools, and your fuel is low, and you'll need to be near the top of your class or be Sully Sullenberger to accomplish it. And my friend had to lateral into it -- he didn't start in Big D -- and he ended up in mid-law, not biglaw. I would not recommend this approach unless you'd be okay with practicing in Oklahoma if you failed, as he was.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”