Resume question. Re: video games ;) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Include VG on LAW SCHOOL resume w/out mention on personal statement?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

MC Southstar

Silver

Re: Resume question. Re: video games ;)

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:36 am

PhantaManta wrote:I don't think people in this thread realize how serious business pro video gaming is. You ever seen starcraft in Korea? shit is crazy.
America refuses to be like the rest of the world.

HTH.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

Hey OP, did you play CS? Were you at CPL Dallas? if so, which team? our paths have probably crossed at some point :) PM me!

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:54 am

Like others in this thread, I'm a huge nerd myself. I just picked up Star Trek Online, and giggled in glee when I saw the "play" button was instead, "Engage." That should help you understand what kind of nerd-level I'm on.

That said, I'm going to have to side with those who say, "Leave it off."

I realize that professional gaming takes a lot of skill, dedication, and work. Personally, I don't think it's any less valid than professional sports. The problem is that other people do make a distinction. Games have simply not yet permeated society to the point where the average person will understand or recognize the work involved in doing it professionally. Maybe in another 20-30 years we will be at that point, but not today.

If you put that on your resume (for law school or for work) you may run into a reader who's sympathetic to the cause, or you might run into someone who squints at your resume and says, "So...you played the video games? Thought they were for kids." Which type of person do you think you're going to encounter more? It's just statistics.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:04 pm

mb88 wrote:Games have simply not yet permeated society to the point where the average person will understand or recognize the work involved in doing it professionally. Maybe in another 20-30 years we will be at that point, but not today.
Ahhhh I can't wait for that day. I would totally hire the world's best starcraft players into supervisor roles-- imagine the micromanagement skills!! :P

All executive MBAs should be required to read Ender's Game as part of their curriculum hehe...

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 pm

My PS is about how I played in the World Cyber Games in highschool, and I am in at NYU. Just sayin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 pm

irie wrote:
mb88 wrote:Games have simply not yet permeated society to the point where the average person will understand or recognize the work involved in doing it professionally. Maybe in another 20-30 years we will be at that point, but not today.
Ahhhh I can't wait for that day. I would totally hire the world's best starcraft players into supervisor roles-- imagine the micromanagement skills!! :P

All executive MBAs should be required to read Ender's Game as part of their curriculum hehe...
The problem is that their skills are being funneled into a useless game instead of being used to do something productive for society.

Sounds kind of like football.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:16 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
irie wrote:

The problem is that their skills are being funneled into a useless game instead of being used to do something productive for society.

Sounds kind of like football.
Well, to be fair...games can require strategy, tactics, micro-management, and organizational skills.

The skills being "funneled" into football are throwing/catching an egg-shaped ball. :wink:

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm

As a prestige whore, I broke it down. Again, every person accepted to or at a T-14 said to put it. Hmmmmm, do you think that's because we took risks on our own resumes?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm

double post.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Veyron wrote:As a prestige whore, I broke it down. Again, every person accepted to or at a T-14 said to put it. Hmmmmm, do you think that's because we took risks on our own resumes?
Anti-penn and Northwestern trolling.

And no it isn't because you took risks, its because you our LSATs, which means we are nerd and thus don't harshly judge gamers.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Sry, must have missed your profile in my "survey". All I can say is that I definitely took insane risks in my app, worked out for me. Its the onliest way to do reaches IMHO.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Veyron wrote:As a prestige whore, I broke it down. Again, every person accepted to or at a T-14 said to put it. Hmmmmm, do you think that's because we took risks on our own resumes?
Anti-penn and Northwestern trolling.

And no it isn't because you took risks, its because you our LSATs, which means we are nerd and thus don't harshly judge gamers.
i admit it. the morning of the LSATs i got up extra early so i could squeeze in an hour of Assassin's Creed before the test.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm

i would definitely consider putting it. doesnt sound like its a gap, but it will not hurt you if it reflects some consistency w the rest of yer application (interest in tech and collaborating with others).

also if smth like it is in yer PS or other parts of yer resume, that would be cool.

im not an expert at LS admissions but i've been doing job resumes for years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anomz24

New

Post by anomz24 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 pm

CanadianEH wrote:My PS is about how I played in the World Cyber Games in highschool, and I am in at NYU. Just sayin.
Haha wow, what a small world... PM sent I am a WCG Canada alum also.

My PS dealt with my gaming also -- I view it as life-changing since it provided the means for me to pursue my undergrad and now graduate level education.

Just focus on all the positive aspects wherever it comes up in your applications. I've had a great cycle thus far (knock on wood) so I don't think it has hurt me and if it does down the road then oh well, can't change the past.

Best of luck to you

Irrelephant

New

Post by Irrelephant » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:03 pm

moandersen wrote:I believe that putting the "Interests and Activities" section of your resume would be appropriate. I find it incredibly interesting, but it should not be included with your job(s). As someone who played CS competitively for a couple years, I definitely see where you are coming from. however, playing CoD when living in isla vista? that i dont understand. iv is crazy fun.

oh, and CoD MW2 is the shiz.

That's why we weren't the best team!!! IV is awesome, but I'd never live in that shithole again.
Since I stopped in 2007, I've been playing COD MW2/Fifa/nba2k9/10 on PS3 with my roommates (sdegarmo) and my video game enthusiast girl friend (she loves the sims/little big planet/and CODMW2)..

Also, I realized I was too excited to wait until the next cycle to apply and thus applied to USC, Texas, Davis, San Diego, and Loyola last week. So I've already submitted these apps. How do I go about updating my resume for these 5 schools?

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:02 am

As a side note, and something of great importance to everyone in this thread:

CoD:MW2 needs to be erased from the universe. Footstep-less, invisible to radar and heartbeat sensor ninjas who can literally leap across a room and instant-kill you with a knife are an abomination to the FPS genre.

What ever happened to the good old days when all we had to worry about was an AWP under the bridge?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:08 am

mb88 wrote:As a side note, and something of great importance to everyone in this thread:

CoD:MW2 needs to be erased from the universe. Footstep-less, invisible to radar and heartbeat sensor ninjas who can literally leap across a room and instant-kill you with a knife are an abomination to the FPS genre.

What ever happened to the good old days when all we had to worry about was an AWP under the bridge?
That's not even half as bad a problem as the prevalence of nade launchers. The designers were thoughtful enough to nerf the double 1887's, but not the nade launchers? wtf...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 am

mb88 wrote:As a side note, and something of great importance to everyone in this thread:

It's a valid, viable playstyle.

Irrelephant

New

Post by Irrelephant » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:04 pm

how does this look?

Professional Video Game Player
Team Leader and organization manager of Pure Gaming, and Verge.LLC, teams ranked in the top 10 of the United States. Responsible for designing strategies, promotional marketing, travel itineraries, and team uniformity. Sponsored to compete in international tournaments such as Cyberzone Pennsyvania, and the World Series of Video Games in Texas.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:06 pm

get rid of "strategies" unless you are referring to organizational strategies. I'd also mention something about securing sponsorships as one of the main points.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Irrelephant wrote:how does this look?

Team Leader and organization manager of Pure Gaming, and Verge.LLC, teams ranked in the top 10 of the United States. Responsible for designing strategies, promotional marketing, travel itineraries, and team uniformity. Sponsored to compete in international tournaments such as Cyberzone Pennsyvania, and the World Series of Video Games in Texas.
Team Leader and Organizing Manager; Purge Gaming/Verge LLC
- Designed marketing strategies and promotional outreach materials which ensured team maintained full sponsorship support
- Kept cost ledgers and tracked income for entire team to maintain programming fungibility/profitability
- Collaborated with team members and coordinated strategies to secure a national top 10 ranking

i didnt do a very good job here- just trying to give an example of the suggestions i'd make if it were for a job resume. definitely nobody knows/cares about Cyberzone Pennsylvania, World Series of Video Games, etc. that is jabberwocke at best. just focus on the words/ideas that transcend videogaming- leadership, responsibility, communication, collaboration, etc etc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Irrelephant

New

Post by Irrelephant » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
Irrelephant wrote:how does this look?

Team Leader and Organizing Manager; Purge Gaming/Verge LLC
- Designed marketing strategies and promotional outreach materials which ensured team maintained full sponsorship support
- Kept cost ledgers and tracked income for entire team to maintain programming fungibility/profitability
- Collaborated with team members and coordinated strategies to secure a national top 10 ranking

i didnt do a very good job here- just trying to give an example of the suggestions i'd make if it were for a job resume. definitely nobody knows/cares about Cyberzone Pennsylvania, World Series of Video Games, etc. that is jabberwocke at best. just focus on the words/ideas that transcend videogaming- leadership, responsibility, communication, collaboration, etc etc
Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm not putting this on my job resume by the way.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Pure Gaming, and Verge, LLC
Professional Video Game Player -- Team Leader and Organizational Manager
-- Competed in international tournaments, such as Cyberzone Pennsylvania and the World Series of Video Games in Texas.
-- Ranked among the top 10 teams in the United States for [year].
-- Designed and implemented in-game strategy and tactics; coordinated team training regimen.
-- Developed promotional marketing materials; planned travel itineraries; managed sponsorship contracts.
Last edited by autarkh on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Irrelephant wrote:
Thank you, that was very helpful. I'm not putting this on my job resume by the way.
sure :) yah i was just trying to qualify my advice by reminding you that i dont know much about applying to LS. just jobs. its pretty cool experience so u should go for it on yer resume if you are able to focus on the real-world skills you used while doing this.

winokbe

New

Post by winokbe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:21 pm

autarkh wrote:Pure Gaming, and Verge, LLC
Professional Video Game Player -- Team Leader and Organizational Manager
-- Competed in international tournaments, such as Cyberzone Pennsylvania and the World Series of Video Games in Texas.
-- Ranked among the top 10 teams in the United States for [year].
-- Designed and implemented in-game strategy and tactics; coordinated team training regimen.
-- Developed promotional marketing materials; planned travel itineraries; managed sponsorship contracts.

This

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”