Resume question. Re: video games ;)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Include VG on LAW SCHOOL resume w/out mention on personal statement?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

Veyron

Re: Resume question. Re: video games ;)

Postby Veyron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 am

Dude, I would totally put that on your resume - no flame. This is the kind of thing that makes you an interesting person that would add a unique aspect to a class.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:13 am

I'd include it, especially if your resume seems pretty barren otherwise. Most applicants are just a pair of numbers to adcomms. Anything that'll set you apart a little is pretty nice.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 am

1WingedAngel wrote:Having a big empty space in your timeline sounds worse, imho, and possibly suspicious.

How does not working during undergrad sound suspicious? I don't think it even really counts as a gap at all.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 am

galahad85 wrote:
1WingedAngel wrote:Having a big empty space in your timeline sounds worse, imho, and possibly suspicious.

How does not working during undergrad sound suspicious? I don't think it even really counts as a gap at all.

It doesn't sound suspicious per se, but they'll just assume that he wasted his time... playing video games. Only they'll also assume he was one of the other 99%+ of gamers that don't get paid to do it.

existenz

Postby existenz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 am

I would not include this under work experience. I would put it in the "Interests/Activities" section of your resume. And even then only if you won some competition, placed as a finalist, or was sponsored by a company.

It could add some spice and originality to your resume, but don't take it too far or try to draw too much attention to it. It's in the same category as being a professional poker player or a game show contestant. Kinda funny, kinda interesting, but potentially risky if you make it sound like playing video games is your number one interest in life.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 am

I'm not sure if the people saying to put it in are saboteurs or just have no idea how the world works. OP, just keep in mind that if adding that to your resume ultimately hurts you, all the people glibly saying 'it couldn't hurt' will shrug and go on with their lives.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 am

Kohinoor wrote:I'm not sure if the people saying to put it in are saboteurs or just have no idea how the world works. OP, just keep in mind that if adding that to your resume ultimately hurts you, all the people glibly saying 'it couldn't hurt' will shrug and go on with their lives.

+1

This is one of those situations where it's better to err on the side of caution. Leaving it out won't hurt you, but putting it in could potentially do so, depending on the person reading the application.

MDPSteve

Postby MDPSteve » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:49 am

I would put it on my resume but I wouldn't put the focus on the fact that you played video games but on the responsibilities you had while being a professional video gamer.

I'm sure being a pro video gamer included much more than just "playing" video games (I wouldn't even mention the game in my resume). It shows that you managed people, performed well under pressure, etc.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:33 am

You know, if you are going to a school that has a entertainment law specialty then you could work this into their program. I've heard that video games make more money than movies now.

z*z

Postby z*z » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:47 am

I would include it. Schools always like to brag about the interesting and diverse backgrounds of their students. I know of a top ten specifically mentioning that a student was a former professional poker player.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am

This might be ultimately irrelevant, but I put my professional gaming experience on my resume when I was applying for internships (think I removed it for FT job interviews), and it seemed to be something interviewers were interested in.

Of course, the people who were interviewing me were almost all giant geeks/nerds, so there is that.

I played FPS games as well, and tbh, any stigma around FPS games is pretty undeserved. A lot of people who play, even at a professional level, are pretty normal kids with otherwise fruitful lives. Not everyone of course. I think I took it out of my resume later because I didn't think it was important enough to warrant reformatting my resume, as I was running out of space.

My personal opinion:

If your grades don't suck and you can word it well enough that whoever reading it gets an idea of what relevant skills and qualities it takes to be a professional gamer, you can opt to include it.

However, I still think it's too stigmatized and is not relevant or meaningful enough of an experience to overcome that stigma. I'm risk averse when it comes to this kind of thing. I think public perception of someone who plays video games and someone who plays poker are two completely different animals. TLS is a self-selected group of nerds who are more likely to approve of this kind of thing.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 am

I believe that putting the "Interests and Activities" section of your resume would be appropriate. I find it incredibly interesting, but it should not be included with your job(s). As someone who played CS competitively for a couple years, I definitely see where you are coming from. however, playing CoD when living in isla vista? that i dont understand. iv is crazy fun.

oh, and CoD MW2 is the shiz.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:56 am

Thinking back on it, gamers were nowhere near as geeky as TLS posters. I've learned so much about the dark underbelly of the internet since I started posting here.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 am

ConMan345 wrote:
Irrelephant wrote:I was looking at my resume and realized that there is a big gap where I wasn't working during undergrad. During this period I was playing professional video games on a 5 versus 5 level. I would never put this on an employment resume, but would it be a good idea to add a synopsis of the following to my law school resume:

Played professional video games from April 2006 to July 2007
Sponsored trips to New York and Dallas for the World Series of Video Games.
As team leader, I was responsible for designing strategies, team management, sponsorships, and often accounted for revenues of up to $2,000.
We were consistently ranked in the top 10 of the united states.

I never thought I would gain anything from this in life (except for basically getting paid to play video games), but I think it might fill the void on my resume.

Thoughts?

I guess I'm in the minority with this, but I'd absolutely keep it. It's interesting, unique and you're very, very good at it.

I know someone who put burger flipper at White Castle on their law school resume and talked about it in their ps. They got in, for what it's worth.

I 100% agree. You would be a fool NOT to include this. It is something incredibly unique. And although some posters in this thread are under the delusion otherwise, law school admisions offices are not manned by professional robots. They are people too, and they like hearing about fun careers like this,

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am

I was a market research analyst for a major videogame company. And then I became a social worker.

It DEFINITELY helped me get into reaches. It makes you different. As long as you portray yourself as an intellectual first, videogame enthusiast second, you should be fine.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:08 am

galahad85 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I'm not sure if the people saying to put it in are saboteurs or just have no idea how the world works. OP, just keep in mind that if adding that to your resume ultimately hurts you, all the people glibly saying 'it couldn't hurt' will shrug and go on with their lives.

+1

This is one of those situations where it's better to err on the side of caution. Leaving it out won't hurt you, but putting it in could potentially do so, depending on the person reading the application.

If you listen to these guys, you will regret it. This could be the x factor that gets you admitted. Leaving it out makes you just another face in the crowd.

And I am already in law school, so I have no stake in your application. Take that for what it is.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

puppins wrote:
Bosque wrote:I 100% agree. You would be a fool NOT to include this. It is something incredibly unique. And although some posters in this thread are under the delusion otherwise, law school admisions offices are not manned by professional robots. They are people too, and they like hearing about fun careers like this,

I also think law school admissions resumes should be more unique and interesting, and job resumes should be more professional and less risky. maybe that is a flawed assumption but it makes sense to me.

I can understand that. If this were a resume for a job, I might confine the pro-gamer job to the interests category at the bottom. It is still a good conversation starter for interviews so I would want it on there, but at that point you want to be emphasizing your legal experience in the work section.

But law school resumes are not about legal experience. They don't care about that. They just want to know you are an interesting person that is going to help them build a diverse class. I would say pro-gamer fits the bill there. Plus if you put it in, the dean will most likely announce it in his orientation speech about how interesting this year's class is.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am

For law school admissions who cares, they barely even look at your resume.

But for a real job, I would never put this on there. Here is why. I am a very nerdy person, I own a battlestar gallactica Tshirt, I went to engineering school, I play video games, I even program for fun, and yet I'd look down at someone who put gamer on their resume.

If I'll judge you for it, you sure hell are going to get judged by some other HR person who thinks video games are for nerdy losers.

This is the kind of thing that won't help 50% of the time, will be a "why is this on a resume" 25% of the time, will get you dinged 20% of the time, and may help 5%.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:For law school admissions who cares, they barely even look at your resume.

But for a real job, I would never put this on there. Here is why. I am a very nerdy person, I own a battlestar gallactica Tshirt, I went to engineering school, I play video games, I even program for fun, and yet I'd look down at someone who put gamer on their resume.

If I'll judge you for it, you sure hell are going to get judged by some other HR person who thinks video games are for nerdy losers.

This is the kind of thing that won't help 50% of the time, will be a "why is this on a resume" 25% of the time, will get you dinged 20% of the time, and may help 5%.

This is my point exactly. Even I, a comp sci major who has professionally video gamed, think this would be a negative thing on a resume.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sapp

Postby sapp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

existenz wrote:I would not include this under work experience. I would put it in the "Interests/Activities" section of your resume. And even then only if you won some competition, placed as a finalist, or was sponsored by a company.

It could add some spice and originality to your resume, but don't take it too far or try to draw too much attention to it. It's in the same category as being a professional poker player or a game show contestant. Kinda funny, kinda interesting, but potentially risky if you make it sound like playing video games is your number one interest in life.

+1

Keep it a simple reference. Don't get too elaborate with it. If you feel llike you have to justify/explain it in more than a line or two forget about it. I'm guessing from your OP that you have other work experience to include so I don't think this is a horrible avenue to go. If playing video games was the only thing you did it might look a little...special. But def add it into Interests/Activities and not w/e.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

Definitely include it. I think we all need to stop pretending that law applicants aren't, on the whole, giant dorks in the first place. :wink:

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:For law school admissions who cares, they barely even look at your resume.

This is my point exactly. Even I, a comp sci major who has professionally video gamed, think this would be a negative thing on a resume.

If this isn't enough to convince the OP nothing will.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 am

I don't think people in this thread realize how serious business pro video gaming is. You ever seen starcraft in Korea? shit is crazy.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 am

I see nothing wrong with including it, especially if you can emphasize the leadership and organizational aspects of what you did - I'd say those are more important to LS admissions committees than the details of the activity itself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”