Resume question. Re: video games ;)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Include VG on LAW SCHOOL resume w/out mention on personal statement?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

pleasetryagain

Re: Resume question. Re: video games ;)

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 am

flame?

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:32 am

So what game was it? SOCOM? Halo? COD?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 am

jetlagz28 wrote:So what game was it? SOCOM? Halo? COD?

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT GAME IT WAS.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 am

DCD wrote:flame?

Most likely, but it gave me a reason to post a Shaq Fu pic, so this thread has my seal of approval.

Renaixença

Postby Renaixença » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 am

adcoms love including crap like this in viewbooks and class profiles.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 am

Kohinoor wrote:

Yes it does, for personal reasons. i would love to team up w this guy n get my rank up (assuming halo...OP, it's halo, right?)

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 am

Include it.

A soft factor like this will never hurt you, no adcomm is going to say "oh professional video game player--DENIED", but there is a minor chance it might stick out to one of them and help you out. It's a no lose.

If my pro-paintball background weren't from when I was 13--it'd be on there.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:38 am

Last edited by pleasetryagain on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:47 am

jack duluoz wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Yes it does, for personal reasons. i would love to team up w this guy n get my rank up (assuming halo...OP, it's halo, right?)

pro halo is 4 on 4, not 5 on 5.... there are very few games that are played 5v5, and judging by the list of games played that year, i'm pretty sure it was counter strike.

that said, i'm not sure how this could really be played as positive unless you simply left it at "sponsored professional gamer". Then it becomes a soft with the recognition that you were sponsored (and not just being a huge nerd).
Last edited by Panther7 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

anomz24

Postby anomz24 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am

PM Sent to ya

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 am

Panther7 wrote:
jack duluoz wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

pro halo is 4 on 4, not 5 on 5.... there are very few games that are played 5v5, and judging by the list of games played that year, i'm pretty sure it was counter strike.

that said, i'm not sure how this could really be played as positive unless you simply left it at "sponsored professional gamer". Then it becomes a soft with the recognition that you were sponsored (and not just being a huge nerd).

or WoW, I'm betting on WoW.

Maybe not, don't think they had it at the New York event. CS then.
Last edited by dextermorgan on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

eml256

Postby eml256 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 am

I would definitely include it. I assume that OP has other professional experience, since "gap" implies that he/she has worked afterward. It's an interesting soft that very few others are likely to put down. Given OP's success, it demonstrates a level of dedication and skill. Plus, to be honest, I feel like there is less of a stigma attached to gaming then there would be to say, being on a college dance team (not that I think that's fair at all). Depending on the type of game, a great deal of intelligence and strategy is required to excel. Appearing "nerdy" doesn't seem like a bad thing in law school admissions, so long as OP has some evidence of interpersonal/social skills on his resume from past job experience.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 am

dextermorgan wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

WoW was never played 5v5 at WSVG.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 am

eml256 wrote:I would definitely include it. I assume that OP has other professional experience, since "gap" implies that he/she has worked afterward. It's an interesting soft that very few others are likely to put down. Given OP's success, it demonstrates a level of dedication and skill. Plus, to be honest, I feel like there is less of a stigma attached to gaming then there would be to say, being on a college dance team (not that I think that's fair at all). Depending on the type of game, a great deal of intelligence and strategy is required to excel. Appearing "nerdy" doesn't seem like a bad thing in law school admissions, so long as OP has some evidence of interpersonal/social skills on his resume from past job experience.

Uh... there is "three years on the Hill" nerdy and then there is "neckbeard and powerleveling" nerdy. One of those is good.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 am

Panther7 wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

WoW was never played 5v5 at WSVG.

He could have been in the top 10 in other competitions and competed in the 3v3 bracket at WSVG.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 am

as someone over 30 who has interviewed/hired people - please dear god don't include this. imo, it is absolutely unprofessional to include your level of video game expertise in an application.

honestly, i'd include dog show experience before this.

ravens20

Postby ravens20 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Only if it was Image. CS and Warcraft 3 are TTT.

I just love the Shaq Fu reference.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 am

Yeah.. I wouldn't include it. You have to think how it would look to adcomms and law professors, not fellow students. I'm thinking generally they would have a more negative impression of "professional gamers" than we do.

Irrelephant

Postby Irrelephant » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:29 am

Call of duty 1-2. I spent like a whole summer in high school playing games while I had a hurt neck. I just naturally excelled at it. In college, I used it to travel around for free with my friends from home and simply hang out with them for a few hours a week doing something we loved. It was a lot of fun and we were pretty good. We could have been better had I not lived in Isla Vista, CA and attended UCSB.

I got paid to play video games lol. And we barely played.

I think it is decent team work experience but Im not willing to dedicate the space necessary to explain it. I'm probably not going to include it, but I appreciate the feedback.

Wonderful video gymboree. Roommate linked it at work
Last edited by Irrelephant on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:45 am

Irrelephant wrote:Call of duty 1-2. I spent like a whole summer in high school playing games while I had a hurt neck. I just naturally excelled at it. In college, I used it to travel around for free with my friends from home and simply hang out with them for a few hours a week doing something we loved. It was a lot of fun and we were pretty good. We could have been better had I not lived in Isla Vista, CA and attended UCSB.

I got paid to play video games lol. And we barely played.

I think it is decent team work experience but Im not willing to dedicate the space necessary to explain it. I'm probably not going to include it, but I appreciate the feedback.

probably a smart play.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:02 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
puppins wrote:depends on what game

Okay, this is true. If you were leading people in five on five matches of Shaq-Fu, then put that shit down.

+1

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 am

jack duluoz wrote:In my EXP (hehe), ppl who are really good at video games tend to not get laid, but can also be very intelligent. I'd throw it in there. I don't see how it could hurt.

lol

+1

Throw it in OP. I think it's interesting, and if you can spin it right, it could help you stand out.

DCD wrote:does earning revenues of "up to $2000.00" qualify as professional anything?

lol

+1

1WingedAngel

Postby 1WingedAngel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 am

I think this is actually awesome. Then again, take that with a grain of salt because I'm a huge gaming fan.

The thing that caught my eye the most was "designing strategies, team management, sponsorships, and often accounted for revenues of up to $2,000.". It shows leadership and some profit, plus you were top 10 champs.

This thread has shown us, however, that there's a stigma around video games. Most people just don't understand the work that goes into these tournaments. So word your experience carefully. If you can write it well, you should definitely include it. Having a big empty space in your timeline sounds worse, imho, and possibly suspicious.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 am

1WingedAngel wrote:I think this is actually awesome. Then again, take that with a grain of salt because I'm a huge gaming fan.

The thing that caught my eye the most was "designing strategies, team management, sponsorships, and often accounted for revenues of up to $2,000.". It shows leadership and some profit, plus you were top 10 champs.

This thread has shown us, however, that there's a stigma around video games. Most people just don't understand the work that goes into these tournaments. So word your experience carefully. If you can write it well, you should definitely include it. Having a big empty space in your timeline sounds worse, imho, and possibly suspicious.

+1

Successful professional gaming requires an immense amount of dedication and skill--especially when teams and tactical depth are involved. You're competing against people who are every bit as addicted, and beating them at a standardized task by outwitting them, out-coordinating them, or simply outplaying them. Though the substance of any particular game does not translate directly to law school or the legal arena, much of insight gained through the experience does.

Also, the fact that you're walking away from such a sweet gig proves that you're not a slacker. People would kill to play games for cash.

I'm with 1WingedAngel: if you can put the right spin on this, it'll set you apart and weigh strongly in your favor.
Last edited by autarkh on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:55 am

I am over thirty and have interviewed and hired professional nurses for hospital work. If I saw this on a resume I'd hire you (assuming you had no obvious defects). I don't even like video games but it makes it seem like you have personality and enthusiasm. Seriously, when I was hiring, after looking at the resume, calling the references and asking all the stupid interview questions, I ask myself "of all the remaining candidates who would I enjoy having a beer with after work?" If I was an acdom I'd ask the same questions after screening candidates for numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”