Resume question. Re: video games ;) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Include VG on LAW SCHOOL resume w/out mention on personal statement?

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 24

Irrelephant

New

Resume question. Re: video games ;)

Post by Irrelephant » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:59 pm

I was looking at my resume and realized that there is a big gap where I wasn't working during undergrad. During this period I was playing professional video games on a 5 versus 5 level. I would never put this on an employment resume, but would it be a good idea to add a synopsis of the following to my law school resume:

Played professional (Call of Duty 1 & 2) video games from April 2006 to July 2007
Sponsored trips to New York and Dallas for the World Series of Video Games.
As team leader, I was responsible for designing strategies, team management, sponsorships, and often accounted for revenues of up to $2,000.
We were consistently ranked in the top 10 of the united states.

I never thought I would gain anything from this in life (except for basically getting paid to play video games), but I think it might fill the void on my resume.

Thoughts?

Here is some additional information as some individuals are not seeing my post on the second page.
"Call of duty 1-2. I spent like a whole summer in high school playing games while I had a hurt neck. I just naturally excelled at it. In college, I used it to travel around for free with my friends from home and simply hang out with them for a few hours a week doing something we loved. It was a lot of fun and we were pretty good. We could have been better had I not lived in Isla Vista, CA and attended UCSB."

I graduated in June 2009. I've been working at the Santa Barbara Public Defender's since July, and also at a wrongful termination firm in Los Angeles. I didn't work for almost two years during my undergrad because i was playing competitive video games. It was a much bigger part of my life in high school, but I'm very happy that I was able to capitalize on some of the people willing to invest money into the sport as I aged and matured.

We won Newegg Lanfest, and placed 9-12th in the world at WSVG. (lost to some German team cause my headphones, which i actually just plugged in and WORKED!!!, went out a few days before WSVG and I had to use some headphones that did not have a volume adjuster and would not go loud enough to hear ingame sounds over the ear drum breaking Fight Night Round 3 competition) I think we got third at Cyberzone PA with 3 people from my team (friends from home) and two ringers (we also stayed in a hotel over central park in NY during this trip). We were CAL runners up, and were 10-2/3 most cevo seasons we played.

My personal statement does not regard professional video gaming, but is definitely a "positive" factor on my applications according to most people I've shown it to. In light of this, I think if I can accurately explain the video game factor in a concise fashion on my resume, it could really help the adcomms create a picture of me.
Last edited by Irrelephant on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTH

Diamond

Re: Resume question. Re: video games ;)

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:07 am

Irrelephant wrote:I was looking at my resume and realized that there is a big gap where I wasn't working during undergrad. During this period I was playing professional video games on a 5 versus 5 level. I would never put this on an employment resume, but would it be a good idea to add a synopsis of the following to my law school resume:

Played professional video games from April 2006 to July 2007
As team leader, I was responsible for designing strategies, team management, sponsorships, and often accounted for revenues of up to $2,000.

I never thought I would gain anything from this in life (except for basically getting paid to play video games), but I think it might fill the void on my resume.

Thoughts?
I would absolutely leave the void.

New

Post by 02092010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 am

Just spice it up, like people who aren't janitors but Environmental Service Associates. Or instead of Joe Dirt, Joe Dierte.

Just say you were the Team Leader for Sucess and Management involving Electronic Interfacing or something like that. You get the gist/jist?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:19 am

Too much stigma.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 am

TipTravHoot wrote: I would absolutely leave the void.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am

If it was during undergrad it isn't even a gap.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:25 am

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 am

puppins wrote:depends on what game
Okay, this is true. If you were leading people in five on five matches of Shaq-Fu, then put that shit down.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:28 am

I would include it. Seems interesting to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 am

highlight it and send pics

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 am

How so?

SnowyMobs

New

Post by SnowyMobs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Okay, this is true. If you were leading people in five on five matches of Shaq-Fu, then put that shit down.
i lol'd.

but yeah, if it was during undergrad i don't think it'll be a glaring void if you left it out

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 am

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 am

Only if it was Quake4. CS and Warcraft 3 are TTT.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:34 am

WSVG is already TTT

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:Only if it was Image. CS and Warcraft 3 are TTT.

Grad_Student

Bronze

Post by Grad_Student » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 am

Halo I'm willing to bet

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:38 am

fatl1ty?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am

Irrelephant wrote:I was looking at my resume and realized that there is a big gap where I wasn't working during undergrad. During this period I was playing professional video games on a 5 versus 5 level. I would never put this on an employment resume, but would it be a good idea to add a synopsis of the following to my law school resume:

Thoughts?
I guess I'm in the minority with this, but I'd absolutely keep it. It's interesting, unique and you're very, very good at it.

I know someone who put burger flipper at White Castle on their law school resume and talked about it in their ps. They got in, for what it's worth.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 am

If its GRAW I'll actually be impressed. That was my favorite Xbox series.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:08 am

ConMan345 wrote:

Thoughts?
I guess I'm in the minority with this, but I'd absolutely keep it. It's interesting, unique and you're very, very good at it.

I know someone who put burger flipper at White Castle on their law school resume and talked about it in their ps. They got in, for what it's worth.
I would too, especially since it's not like you sat around in your parents basement playing WoW and are trying to use that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kaya_belly

New

Post by kaya_belly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:12 am

For what it is worth, I think this makes you interesting. If you feel like it was valuable work, then include.

But I would not include it simply because you feel like you have to fill a gap. You were going to school; technically, there was no gap.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:27 am

thalassocrat wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Thoughts?

I would too, especially since it's not like you sat around in your parents basement playing WoW and are trying to use that.
To be fair, it sounds like he was so good at sitting in a basement playing video games that somebody paid him to do it. Now, that is indeed an accomplishment, but not all accomplishments should be shared when you're competing with people that did jobs that people in the real world consider credible.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 am

In my EXP (hehe), ppl who are really good at video games tend to not get laid, but can also be very intelligent. I'd throw it in there. I don't see how it could hurt.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 am

Kohinoor wrote:To be fair, it sounds like he was so good at sitting in a basement playing video games that somebody paid him to do it. Now, that is indeed an accomplishment, but not all accomplishments should be shared when you're competing with people that did jobs that people in the real world consider credible.
Credited. I'm pretty sure I would reach past someone who felt it necessary to talk about their gaming prowess to admit someone with real work experience/community service with lower numbers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”