Inequality in LS Admissions Process.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Borhas

Re: Inequality in LS Admissions Process.

Postby Borhas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:yea, but he could display that same empathy for the URMs he's blatantly disrespecting as well....he's assuming there's no possibility that: A.) there are URMs with better numbers than his and B.) URMs don't deserve to attend law school, in saying that they're "usually at the bottom of the class".

the system tricks us into believing ridiculous measures like LSAT and GPA determine our worth... HAH what an absurd way to think, but we get tricked into it.

When people are under that mindset they will feel insulted when those same measures of worth seem to selectively be ignored.

emalf

Postby emalf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Should have been president of the UG student body bro

Student goverment positions seem to not matter as much to adcomms (not as much as you UG advisor thinks they do, at least). Maybe because its only slightly less of a popularity contest than homecoming court.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:1.) AA isn't inherently unfair

Not when you realize that LSAT/GPA aren't the only metrics used in evaluation of an application. Unfortunately, as a white male, these are pretty much the only metrics utilized.

I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of non-URM applicants who had sub-median numbers and got into good schools.

Not sub both medians there isn't. Pretending there isn't a significant URM boost is silly.

The real question is would be trade places with the average black person from birth for the chance to get get the URM boost.

I sure as hell wouldn't so I'm not going to complain.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:1.) AA isn't inherently unfair

Not when you realize that LSAT/GPA aren't the only metrics used in evaluation of an application. Unfortunately, as a white male, these are pretty much the only metrics utilized.

I'm pretty sure there's a decent amount of non-URM applicants who had sub-median numbers and got into good schools.

Not sub both medians there isn't. Pretending there isn't a significant URM boost is silly.

The real question is would be trade places with the average black person from birth for the chance to get get the URM boost.

I sure as hell wouldn't so I'm not going to complain.

I would. Then I could listen to Lil Wayne with the windows down and not get the "oh it's just a suburban white kid pretending to be gangsta" looks.

emalf

Postby emalf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 pm

hell, even civil rights activists agree with me:

--LinkRemoved--

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Let's stop re-hashing this.

OP is just jealous. Plenty 'o white bread out there having great cycles. Try harder next time.

Loqued.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”