Inequality in LS Admissions Process.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emalf

Inequality in LS Admissions Process.

Postby emalf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Why are law schools so unfair?

This law school process sucks because you see people with lower grades, lesser credentials, and URMS admitted almost at face value. while people like me get dinged because all of our spots are taken by special interest applicants (URMs w/ lower #s), etc.

It's like schools, in general, are trying to make up for the fact that blacks, latinos, etc. were discriminated against by taking it out on people so far removed from the situation (ie, me with my numbers).

Isn't it a given that URM's also, in general, do the worst in law school and tend to be at the bottom of the class, anyways?

Why are whites so disadvantaged in LS admissions??!
Last edited by emalf on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Re: Inequality in LS Admissions Process.

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

IBTL

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

The process in inequal because the applicants are inequal...

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

emalf wrote:Why are law schools so unfair?

I have already been dinged at 4 schools (Stanford, G'Town, BU and GW). That wouldn't be too big of deal other than the fact that I have a 3.9/168 (non-URM) and was Vice President of my UG student government body. I also have no criminal offenses and partake in community service.

This law school process sucks because you see people with lower grades, lesser credentials, and URMS admitted almost at face value. while people like me get dinged because all of our spots are taken by special interest applicants (URMs w/ lower #s), etc.

It's like schools, in general, are trying to make up for the fact that blacks, latinos, etc. were discriminated against by taking it out on people so far removed from the situation (ie, me with my numbers).

Isn't it a given that URM's also, in general, do the worst in law school and tend to be at the bottom of the class, anyways?

Seriously?

kentee15

Postby kentee15 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:53 pm

bullshit u got rejected from GW with those numbers unless whoever wrote your apps wrote horrible things about you

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

kentee15 wrote:bullshit u got rejected from GW with those numbers unless whoever wrote your apps wrote horrible things about you

I think this post was OP's PS, so that could explain the GW ding.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

You got dinged at GW and BU with a 169/3.8?

I call bullshit. Either that or the entitled douchebaggery evident in your OP came through in your application.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm

kittenmittons wrote:IBTL

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Flame flame flame flame flame

emalf

Postby emalf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

booboo wrote:

I have already been dinged at 4 schools (Stanford, G'Town, BU and GW). That wouldn't be too big of deal other than the fact that I have a 3.9/168 (non-URM) and was Vice President of my UG student government body. I also have no criminal offenses and partake in community service.

Seriously?

I'm so serious. I was getting pissed writing this. I have 4 more schools to hear from. But this process is bullshit. especially when people with lower numbers are taken into those same schools.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

White splitters are "special interest" applicants? :)

My advice to you, assuming this isn't a flame, is not to post when you're upset. It makes you look foolish. Stanford and Georgetown are by no means locks with your stats. Not getting into BU or GW is unfortunate, but that's why it's wise to apply to 12+ schools.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

I really hope this is a flame.

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

kentee15 wrote:bullshit u got rejected from GW with those numbers unless whoever wrote your apps wrote horrible things about you

Pretty sure you'd have to write a scathing PS about how URM's are undeserving to go to law school without the requisite numbers, and then spitting on the PS would keep you out. (I am guessing that is what happened here.)

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Maybe you are just boring

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 pm

i think it doesnt help anyone to have a silent majority of pissed off people thinking they are being screwed by affirmative action and stuff.

op, i sympathize with your frustration, but remember a couple things:

1. no one is entitled to a spot because of their numbers. ultimately its for the admissions people to select kids on teh basis of a whole host of considerations. you are betraying an insane degree of conceit in acting like you know more than they do.

2. the "special" admits you refer to are few in number. you would have likely been pwned by another white guy had AA never existed.

hth

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Dude, if your PS/Resume was anything like this post... IT SCREAMS WHINEY LITTLE DOUCHE!!!! I'd check on that and possibly re-submit if you get a chance.

Also, IBTL.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Wait, URMs might be getting a special boost? Clearly we need our top investigative reporters to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your sharp eye, OP. Without you, we'd have never noticed.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Seriously
Huge FLAME

someone should lock this

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

emalf wrote:

Your personal statement sucks.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

scribelaw wrote:You got dinged at GW and BU with a 169/3.8?

I call bullshit. Either that or the entitled douchebaggery evident in your OP came through in your application.

Hi, I'm Dyslexia, have we met?
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emalf

Postby emalf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 pm

talibkweli wrote:i think it doesnt help anyone to have a silent majority of pissed off people thinking they are being screwed by affirmative action and stuff.

op, i sympathize with your frustration, but remember a couple things:

1. no one is entitled to a spot because of their numbers. ultimately its for the admissions people to select kids on teh basis of a whole host of considerations. you are betraying an insane degree of conceit in acting like you know more than they do.

2. the "special" admits you refer to are few in number. you would have likely been pwned by another white guy had AA never existed.

hth

how many more people are there with #s higher than 3.9/168? you probably got in somewhere better with lower numbers because of affirmative action.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:58 pm

deleted, quoting and editing fail on my part.
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm

emalf wrote:how many more people are there with #s higher than 3.9/168? you probably got in somewhere better with lower numbers because of affirmative action.

talib's #'s pwn you

hth

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Mods really should start enforcing the no alts rule.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:00 pm

El tago

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”