Sending LOCI before Waitlist? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nimhnimh

New

Sending LOCI before Waitlist?

Post by nimhnimh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm a URM borderline candidate at several T14s. I've been complete at many of these schools for months. Most likely I'll get waitlisted at a bunch and HOPEFULLY get into one. I wanted to find out if it'd be a good idea to send in a LOCI now telling them what I've been up to and new reasons that I'm interested in their school (this would be in addition to the previous "why" letters I included). My feeling is that showing this sincere interest would influence they from not waitlisting me. Is this a bad idea? Most of these T14 waitlists don't work out so I thought it might be better to send a LOCI now while I still have a chance. Thoughts?

groundkontrol

Bronze

Re: Sending LOCI before Waitlist?

Post by groundkontrol » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm interested in this as well. Anyone?

Lurkster

Bronze

Post by Lurkster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 pm

In my humble opinion, sending a LOCI prior to having a decision of any kind probably won't change anything. If you are heading for a waitlist based on your completed application packet, improved grades or LSAT are likely to be the only things that would make an impact. You said that you've already included "why" letters as well, so they definitely know that you have a real interest (which they'd probably gather from your numbers making you borderline for them anyway).

I'd save the LOCI for later, and try to distance yourself from the waitlisted pack if you end up there.

lawman335

Bronze

Post by lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:17 am

Why r u sending it so soon , u can just wait for the waitlist.......why r u in so urgent........

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 pm

lawman335 wrote:Why r u sending it so soon , u can just wait for the waitlist.......why r u in so urgent........
You are an idiot.

OP: Sending a LOCI before a decision is reached can help convince them that you are interested in actually attending that particular institution. Since many T14s are so concerned about yield these days a well-written LOCI could help push you from WL to acceptance if you're borderline. You should especially try this since some schools use WL as a soft reject; if you wait until you're WL'ed you've already blown your chances.

You can always send another LOCI after you're WL'ed, if you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runn3rs

New

Post by runn3rs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 am

I'd recommend sending one. You should also find out whether your school will number their waitlist because if they do, you only have one shot to send a LOCI (when it could help). If they rank the waitlist, send it now for sure. If they don't rank the waitlist, your decision is more difficult but I'd recommend sending it.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 am

runn3rs wrote:I'd recommend sending one. You should also find out whether your school will number their waitlist because if they do, you only have one shot to send a LOCI (when it could help). If they rank the waitlist, send it now for sure. If they don't rank the waitlist, your decision is more difficult but I'd recommend sending it.

Which of the T14 rank their waitlist?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:54 am

I'm sending one to my #1 school tomorrow telling them just that. PT or FT, if I'm in I'm going.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:38 am

I'm considering sending in a LOCI after 8 weeks from going complete. Gonna package it with an additional letter of rec and an update. I really want to send it before getting waitlisted because... well I'm very borderline and I might be rejected straight up. so I'm hoping this will earn me a waitlist and just maybe an acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:12 am

vanwinkle wrote:
lawman335 wrote:Why r u sending it so soon , u can just wait for the waitlist.......why r u in so urgent........
You are an idiot.

OP: Sending a LOCI before a decision is reached can help convince them that you are interested in actually attending that particular institution. Since many T14s are so concerned about yield these days a well-written LOCI could help push you from WL to acceptance if you're borderline. You should especially try this since some schools use WL as a soft reject; if you wait until you're WL'ed you've already blown your chances.

You can always send another LOCI after you're WL'ed, if you are.
I agree with this. Definitely can't hurt.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 am

beach_terror wrote:I'm sending one to my #1 school tomorrow telling them just that. PT or FT, if I'm in I'm going.
I did that this week as well.

Baloo

New

Post by Baloo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:07 pm

I've also sent in LOCI without being waitlisted first. My theory is that you're probably doing this for schools that are a reach anyhow. The chances that this would hurt you are minimal (maybe if the adcom is in a crap mood and gets annoyed?). At the very least, it tells them you were willing to sit down and put in an extra page of work. And it's another chance to get your name out there, contact the adcoms, and say precisely why you want to go to school X.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 am

Would a pre-WL LOCI make me lose me application's place in line?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 am

How are you guys sending them. Are you attaching a PDF to an e-mail sent to a specific person?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 am

I sent one via email, just opening with Dear XXXX Admissions Office. Then I put a P.S about adding it to my file. I printed one out and mailed it to their admissions department as well (different letter, about accepting the WL, etc).

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I hadn't considered this but I am now. For those who are sending such letters, how are you wording them? PM if you'd like. I've always imagined adcomms to be cynical types with whom a corny or over-eager approach is going to hurt more than help. Maybe I'm projecting.

summerstar

Bronze

Post by summerstar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 pm

This cycle is madness, an LOCI can't hurt.

NUMB3RFIFTY

New

Post by NUMB3RFIFTY » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:37 am

There's just so much to take into consideration. There's no way to get inside each individual addcoms head. Some will inevitably get annoyed at a pre-waitlist letter and some will welcome it.

I guess what we're trying to figure out is more a best case/worst case type of deal.

If it proves to be counter-productive, just how bad could it get? And if it proves to be a good idea, how much could it help?

I'll be drafting a pre-waitlist letter myself and praying for the best.

PM if you like and we can 187 the letter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”