Losing job after applications?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ahhshit

Losing job after applications?

Postby ahhshit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Kind of a weird situation here...

I'm resigning from my job tomorrow, and I'm a little concerned about what this will mean for all of the applications/resumes I've already sent out to law schools...

Any idea?

kittenmittons

Re: Losing job after applications?

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Schools won't care

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:36 pm

I don't think it would matter as long as everything on the app was correct at the time. Even if you decided to send admissions an email updating them of your situation I don't think it would impact your chances. Besides, they probably suspected you would quit sometime between now and your first day of class.

edit: wouldn't you rather get fired so you can collect unemployment? Just "get caught" browsing TLS when you should be starting a fresh batch of TPS reports
Last edited by GATORTIM on Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoomba200

Postby Zoomba200 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Didn't your resumes say "June 2008 - Present"? "Present" was the moment you handed in your resumes and in my opinion it shouldn't matter if you resign after that point. If you are really worried about it you can call each school and let them know, but I doubt they care.

ahhshit

Postby ahhshit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:Didn't your resumes say "June 2008 - Present"? "Present" was the moment you handed in your resumes and in my opinion it shouldn't matter if you resign after that point. If you are really worried about it you can call each school and let them know, but I doubt they care.

Yeah, they did say "present" on them..so I thought that may be enough to justify any questions that may, but probably won't, arise.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Wow. Just Wow.

ahhshit

Postby ahhshit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Wow. Just Wow.

My work experience is a very, very big factor in my applications. I put a heavy emphasis on it.

Your rude comment's level of ignorance is wow. Just wow.

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm

ahhshit wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:Wow. Just Wow.

My work experience is a very, very big factor in my applications. I put a heavy emphasis on it.

Your rude comment's level of ignorance is wow. Just wow.

I think this would only be a deciding factor if the reasons for your resignation were unsavory or you were doing it to avoid being fired. I don't think it would hurt to notify the schools you are applying to, just to be on the safe side. I don't see why resigning now, versus a few months from now, would make much of a difference to them, but then again, I have seen schools that ask that you update them if anything on your resume changes.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”