Online status checker aggregator?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Online status checker aggregator?

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Hey guys. So like many of you I'm sure, I applied to a ton of schools. For each school you get a unique login page to go to, with a unique username and password. To check each of these every day (like 10 pages for the 10 schools I applied to) to see my status, it's a pain in the ass.

Is there a site that aggregates all this into a feed so I can just log in to one account and it grabs all this information for my various schools and displays it in a coherent way?

If not, is this something people would want? (I'm a web designer in a past life, and could make this in a few days)

Is there anyone with similar web design experience who would want to work on this project with me to make everyone's life easier?

Sakura3210

Re: Online status checker aggregator?

Postby Sakura3210 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm

There was one. It got shut down after LSAC decided it was triyng to maliciously attack its site (apparently those login pages are attached to them). Sucks, but apparently it's not an option. :evil:

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:07 pm

weird. it doesn't appear to be attached to the LSAC, but maybe somehow it is.

They really need to condense all the accounts into just one account somehow. I'll poke around and see what I come up with, without violating any terms/laws of course.

aad

Postby aad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Maybe somebody should talk to LSAC about doing that in partnership with them.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm

That's a great idea. Does know of any way to get in touch with anyone over there (other than just sending out a random email) who would have the pull to bring something like this to fruition?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Check out the web address of the status checker page for each school. Says aces2.lsac somethin else I believe

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:48 pm

Yeah I noticed that after logging in.

For all of the schools I applied to, I was given the same username, suggesting it's all linked already. Just different passwords for each school.

I bet it wouldn't be that hard to condense it all into one page/report for all your schools.

yeff

Postby yeff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 pm

Considering the centralization of every other part of the application process, this does seem like something that could be rather easily implemented.

Seems likely that it is some sort of school preference issue rather than a technical hurdle that is in the way.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 pm

oh it's absolutely not a technical hurdle. I can code it in a week without their help. With their help it'd be like 3 days. But apparently they don't like multiple simultaneous logins from a single source, so they'd have to allow the program to work on their end, which too would be extremely easy.

They just have to let me do it, do it themselves, or it'd be nice if they atleast tell us why they won't allow it ;x

queue

Postby queue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 am

Was getting tired of this, too, so I wrote a command line script in python: --LinkRemoved--. Requires Mechanize Browser and Beautiful Soup. It assumes username and password are the same across each of the sites.

patat

Postby patat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:34 pm

queue wrote:Was getting tired of this, too, so I wrote a command line script in python: --LinkRemoved--. Requires Mechanize Browser and Beautiful Soup. It assumes username and password are the same across each of the sites.

This was great, thank you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”