The Real Person TLS Community Thread.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
reasonabledoubt

The Real Person TLS Community Thread.

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm not sure if this thread will work or even interest anyone but I thought it was worthwhile to at least create it as an option.

I don't expect anyone to change their current profiles to include a real picture, use real names, etc.

Instead, I figured people can create a new TLS account and enter into this more "real" community whenever they'd like. This will be a thread where real people can (with discretion of course) meet each other, chat with adcomms, etc.

Again, I know TLS is founded on anonymity but I just thought a thread like this should exist in case it interests anyone to put a real name to a real profile to a real face, etc, etc. Again, discretion will be the predominant theme ITT.

If this didn't already exist, here it is. I hope it becomes useful in some way. I may create a new TLS account myself to post here.

los blancos

Re: The Real Person TLS Community Thread.

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I'd be careful, I think alts get you banned.

aIvin adams

Postby aIvin adams » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm

whats an alt?

:oops:

eidt - eh, i guess if igured it out
Last edited by aIvin adams on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

boilercat wrote:I'd be careful, I think alts get you banned.

Ok, well, if that's the case I guess this idea won't work. I thought it could have potentially turned into a useful networking community though. Mods, can you confirm or deny the plausibility of this idea?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Heard of Facebook?

Perjury

Postby Perjury » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:21 pm

get a life

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:13 pm

I like the concept. I would like to make TLS more of a social networking site as members likely have a lot in common with each other. Besides obviously all being interested in law school, applicants are likely to be driven, high achievers and a bit more extroverted than the average law school applicant since they are participating on forums.

Perhaps this real members forum could be open to members only with 100+ post (or a higher number) to address some privacy concerns. The rule against alts could be modified for those in this forum if they wanted another screen name for the other forums. Not a bad idea and certainly one to explore.

Best,

Ken

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Ken wrote:I like the concept. I would like to make TLS more of a social networking site as members likely have a lot in common with each other. Besides obviously all being interested in law school, applicants are likely to be driven, high achievers and a bit more extroverted than the average law school applicant since they are participating on forums.

Perhaps this real members forum could be open to members only with 100+ post (or a higher number) to address some privacy concerns. The rule against alts could be modified for those in this forum if they wanted another screen name for the other forums. Not a bad idea and certainly one to explore.

Best,

Ken

That's exactly what I was thinking - I mean, for one example, it could become hugely useful to establish a social network with several others in law schools throughout the country. I understand discretion would be an absolute priority if one were to participate in a real identity forum while they're applying to law school, but it would be fair to simply think whatever you say and discuss can be read by any adcomm. "Act accordingly." This might be a good thing when you're in the mood to participate as a "real person" - it could potentially become a LS recruitment forum, for instance. I could definitely see it becomming a de-facto "interview" forum for students to meet and chat with adcomms, amongst other things. Anyways, TLS as it is is awesome, but this could be another section or element that may interest many current and future users.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:00 pm

i bet many people would be uncomfortable there while their cycle is going on. after the cycle and throughout law school, it could be a good idea though. but the best implementation might be some kind of facebook app

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm

englawyer wrote:i bet many people would be uncomfortable there while their cycle is going on. after the cycle and throughout law school, it could be a good idea though. but the best implementation might be some kind of facebook app

I agree with the "during their cycle" point, but not with the facebook app. I think facebook has far more privacy concerns associated with it than this would.

Also, a lot of people (rightly IMO) simply don't want to be a part of facebook.

There's a lot of things to iron out... but I think a real-person LS forum would be useful for a lot of people. I'll say it again, I think people would enter it when they're in the mood to be professional or a bit more serious. With that said, it could also be a helpful, fun community. I would definitely jump on board after I decide (or they decide rather) which LS I'm going to.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:08 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:i bet many people would be uncomfortable there while their cycle is going on. after the cycle and throughout law school, it could be a good idea though. but the best implementation might be some kind of facebook app

I agree with the "during their cycle" point, but not with the facebook app. I think facebook has far more privacy concerns associated with it than this would.

Also, a lot of people (rightly IMO) simply don't want to be a part of facebook.

There's a lot of things to iron out... but I think a real-person LS forum would be useful for a lot of people. I'll say it again, I think people would enter it when they're in the mood to be professional or a bit more serious. With that said, it could also be a helpful, fun community. I would definitely jump on board after I decide (or they decide rather) which LS I'm going to.

I mean, this thing could also become a pro-bono free legal assistance resource for people to log on and "ask a 3L" something, for example.

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Be pretty cool to have a network of buds from more prestigious institutions than my own (alumni networks are for suckers! :wink: )

I know, nowhere near 100 posts yet but I'll keep trying...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:36 pm

But we already have gchat and facebook groups for the people we want to talk to...

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:55 pm

What happens when TLSers stop being polite and start being REAL?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 pm

didn't you just post a thread about which school has the ugliest students?

Maybe you are just trying to answer your own question!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:13 pm

The paranoia doesn't end after your cycle does. We just went through our first grade release as 1Ls, and there was a lot of consternation regarding whether or not to openly discuss grades on the forum.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:What happens when TLSers stop being polite and start being REAL?

--ImageRemoved--

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:What happens when TLSers stop being polite and start being REAL?

:shock:

--ImageRemoved--

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 pm

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 pm

This is same OP that just made the Ugly people in law school thread, lol.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:04 am

PhantaManta wrote:This is same OP that just made the Ugly people in law school thread, lol.

Umm, that was sort of a parody thread b/c of the hipsters and bros thing. Sheesh... if you're going to stalk my post history use some deduction folks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”