Privacy concern for TLS posters

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Privacy concern for TLS posters

Postby SandyC877 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:43 pm

I read in multiple threads that adcomms frequent the TLS. Any truth to this? Also has TLS or its posters ever outed a poster to a law school? That TestMasters employment discrimination thread got me concerned a bit. How did a third party company find the identity of a tls poster?

ApexChaser

Re: Privacy concern for TLS posters

Postby ApexChaser » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:08 pm

Dean Pless posts on here. During interviews, other adcomms have admitted they frequent TLS.

The simple solution is to be careful of what you post. It's no different than the rest of the intarwebz. I'd wager a few of the more "interesting" applicants get google'd by the adcomms.

Have you ever tried googling yourself? It's amazing how much information is out there.

wocehtoom

Postby wocehtoom » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:13 pm

I never quite understood the secrecy and the fear of being outed here on TLS. What exactly is there to hide? Speaking as a 0L here

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:15 pm

With all the information that people post on here, I would say that adcomms would be able to fit the puzzle pieces together fairly easily.

Take you for example... I spent less than 2 minutes looking at your posts and know that you applied to Cornell in December with a 164 LSAT. If I'm on the Cornell adcomm, it's not so hard to filter the december applications by lsat score and get my "list of suspects." Do any of them have a first name that is some variation of Sandy? Last name start with C? (I don't have any idea if your user name is related to your real name or not... but if it is, you're certainly not anonymous).

If so inclined, I could probably take a few more minutes to actually open some of the posts, read them, and find out more items that I could match against my list of december applicants with a 164.

Other than your email address, I don't think the TLS registration process really gives them much information that they could use to "out" you to anyone. But many of us include a lot of information in our posts that would point an interested adcomm member to our real identities. Heck, I know they could pick me out - but then again, I never post anything on the internet with any expectation of true anonymity.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Sangiovese wrote:With all the information that people post on here, I would say that adcomms would be able to fit the puzzle pieces together fairly easily.

Take you for example... I spent less than 2 minutes looking at your posts and know that you applied to Cornell in December with a 164 LSAT. If I'm on the Cornell adcomm, it's not so hard to filter the december applications by lsat score and get my "list of suspects." Do any of them have a first name that is some variation of Sandy? Last name start with C? (I don't have any idea if your user name is related to your real name or not... but if it is, you're certainly not anonymous).

If so inclined, I could probably take a few more minutes to actually open some of the posts, read them, and find out more items that I could match against my list of december applicants with a 164.

Other than your email address, I don't think the TLS registration process really gives them much information that they could use to "out" you to anyone. But many of us include a lot of information in our posts that would point an interested adcomm member to our real identities. Heck, I know they could pick me out - but then again, I never post anything on the internet with any expectation of true anonymity.

I suppose you are right. I personally don't have any major concerns, but I do remember making some unsavvy comments about some TTs and TTT.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Sangiovese wrote:With all the information that people post on here, I would say that adcomms would be able to fit the puzzle pieces together fairly easily.

This.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”