Columbia Fee Waiver + horrible GPA + URM + February retake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew the Wolverine

Columbia Fee Waiver + horrible GPA + URM + February retake

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:20 pm

I have a 2.7 (huge upward trend), I'm a URM, first LSAT 161, and I am retaking the LSAT in February. I got a fee waiver from Columbia today in an email, and I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. The best I can do on the LSAT coming up is about 172 (that was just below my highest practice test), and that would be a bit of a miracle. Should I just submit it now and spend the $12 for LSAC, and just hope my LSAT is high enough for them to even give my app a look?

cr073137

Re: Columbia Fee Waiver + horrible GPA + URM + February retake

Postby cr073137 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Send the application in so they only have to wait for the LSAT, If you were to get 170+, you have some chances if you have a good excuse to why you were performing bad at the beginning.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:04 pm

If you're dead set on applying this cycle, definitely send the app. It's only $12 vs. a chance, however small, of getting accepted. If you can wait apply next cycle with higher LSAT and ED.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I have a 2.7 (huge upward trend), I'm a URM, first LSAT 161, and I am retaking the LSAT in February. I got a fee waiver from Columbia today in an email, and I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. The best I can do on the LSAT coming up is about 172 (that was just below my highest practice test), and that would be a bit of a miracle. Should I just submit it now and spend the $12 for LSAC, and just hope my LSAT is high enough for them to even give my app a look?

Dude same thing happened to me last cycle, I got my hopes up and I got rejected. I guess apply and then forget about it, there's no need to obsessively check your status checker like I did in hopes that the fee waiver meant something and you might get in.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Honestly, I think CLS will be a pipe dream regardless of whether you apply now or next year. If I were you, I would just go ahead and submit now and plan on kicking the February LSAT's ass.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Honestly, I think CLS will be a pipe dream regardless of whether you apply now or next year. If I were you, I would just go ahead and submit now and plan on kicking the February LSAT's ass.

Yeah I know it's a super long shot, that's why I'm debating whether or not to even try. I wouldn't spend $75, not in a million years, with my current stats, so the waiver at least makes it a reasonable decision. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I suppose $12 isn't much in the grand scheme of things for the tiny chance I might get in.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:38 pm

Hard for me to see them taking someone with a 2.7 no matter what you score on the LSAT. But it can't hurt to try!

law10

Postby law10 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

My friend has the exact same numbers and received a fee waiver to Columbia today as well! Hmmm...maybe they are targeting URMs within a certain LSAT range or something?? Of course you should apply...you never know. Check LSN...some people who get fee waivers this late DO get in!

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 pm

they give every one free waivers, i got 2 so technically they owe me 75 dollars. dont let it make you think you have a better chance. it boosts their prestige to have more people apply then rejected.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I have a 2.7 (huge upward trend), I'm a URM, first LSAT 161, and I am retaking the LSAT in February. I got a fee waiver from Columbia today in an email, and I'm wondering if it's even worth trying. The best I can do on the LSAT coming up is about 172 (that was just below my highest practice test), and that would be a bit of a miracle. Should I just submit it now and spend the $12 for LSAC, and just hope my LSAT is high enough for them to even give my app a look?

Dude same thing happened to me last cycle, I got my hopes up and I got rejected. I guess apply and then forget about it, there's no need to obsessively check your status checker like I did in hopes that the fee waiver meant something and you might get in.

Columbia status checker doesn't change beyond "complete" so no need to obsessively check it at all.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Joga Bonito wrote:

Columbia status checker doesn't change beyond "complete" so no need to obsessively check it at all.

Well look at you aren't we sharp...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”