Berkeley Prof wants to ban LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
im_blue

Re: Berkeley Prof wants to ban LSAT?

Postby im_blue » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm

goingoingone wrote:
im_blue wrote:The point of making the 2400 SAT worth 2/3 English/writing was to give girls a chance to catch up to boys, who tend to score higher on math and slightly lower on verbal. I believe another intended consequence was that the minority gap decreased on a percentage basis, because writing scores are generally inflated compared to the other 2.

I don't know where you got this information. I was a member of the first class to take the 3-section SAT, and I was told that the new SAT was created after years of professors complaining that students were coming to college unprepared to write. I don't think the new SAT fixes this problem, but as far as I know, that was its intention.

The new SAT was not "created" but rather copied the SAT II Writing test (which are now known as SAT Subject tests). Colleges were free to require that if they wanted to evaluate applicants' writing skills. In any case, there's the PC answer and there's the real answer which can get you in real trouble if publicly stated (e.g. Larry Summers and his comments about the gender gap in math). There's a wealth of information on Google about race/gender achievement gaps and how they've tried to solve them.

lawman335

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:31 am

thanks for the video was interesting to watch it.......

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an LSAT counterpart/alternative? Like the ACT to the SAT? An exam that aims to test similar skill sets but in a somewhat different format?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”