Is UVA worth sticker?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is UVA Worth Sticker?

Like, totally:
66%
No way, Jose:
12%
Only HYS are worth sticker:
22%

Total votes: 110

vanwinkle

Re: Is UVA worth sticker?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:It depends.

An excellent summary, but much more critically, WHERE did you find that image in your 'tar?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:It depends.

An excellent summary, but much more critically, WHERE did you find that image in your 'tar?

One of my friends sent it to me, I have NO idea where he found it. I am however very pleased with it.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 pm

May not even be an issue, Dean of Adm. emailed me asking me to update my grades--a personal email. That means ( i think) you are in if they are the same as when you applied, but they went from 387 to 383, to i'm probably out. /Thread

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:May not even be an issue, Dean of Adm. emailed me asking me to update my grades--a personal email. That means ( i think) you are in if they are the same as when you applied, but they went from 387 to 383, to i'm probably out. /Thread

Well, if they haven't been updated through LSAC it doesn't make a difference. Whatever you do don't update your LSAC transcript. That is all they care about.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:13 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Cupidity wrote:May not even be an issue, Dean of Adm. emailed me asking me to update my grades--a personal email. That means ( i think) you are in if they are the same as when you applied, but they went from 387 to 383, to i'm probably out. /Thread

Well, if they haven't been updated through LSAC it doesn't make a difference. Whatever you do don't update your LSAC transcript. That is all they care about.

I didn't but I told him in an email (which is what he asked for), he actually said "don't update your LSAC GPA, it's too complicated", which makes me have hope. Maybe they liked my PS?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 pm

Cupidity wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I didn't but I told him in an email (which is what he asked for), he actually said "don't update your LSAC GPA, it's too complicated", which makes me have hope. Maybe they liked my PS?

Well the fact that they sent you a personal email can only be a good sign.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Well the fact that they sent you a personal email can only be a good sign.

He sent it like an hour after I faxed my ED contract.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

This is going to be really interesting. I don't think it should make a difference because your LSAC transcript hasn't been updated. When did they tell you not to update your transcript?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 pm

It wasn't like "Don't update", it was just "There is no need to update your LSAC transcript, its too complicated a process, just send us an informal email. This was I think Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd probably have heard back by now except the school is shut-down. I also promised a 3.86 if they accepted me, pulling a 4.0 is no big deal for me, I just blew off a gen-ed last semester and it bit me in the ass.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Cupidity wrote:It wasn't like "Don't update", it was just "There is no need to update your LSAC transcript, its too complicated a process, just send us an informal email. This was I think Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd probably have heard back by now except the school is shut-down. I also promised a 3.86 if they accepted me, pulling a 4.0 is no big deal for me, I just blew off a gen-ed last semester and it bit me in the ass.

That was their way of telling you not to update it without directly telling you that. If it is not updated on LSAC i really don't think they will weigh that into their decision.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 pm

I really fucking hope so. 166/3.87--->3.83... I'm sooooo borderline, I want Charlottesville bad.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 pm

Vanwinkle or some other UVA 1Ls in here to give their opinion because they can probably give a better picture than I can.
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:37 pm

You could figure this out with math instead of hoping for reassuring anecdotes!
Last edited by Kohinoor on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:We need to get Vanwinkle or some other UVA 1Ls in here to give their opinion because they can probably give a better picture than I can.

I'm hesitant to give my opinion at this point because it's clouded by hindsight bias. I can easily look back now and say "I made the right decision then", but at the time was it? Obviously I felt that it was, because I made it, but I could just as easily have tanked every single one of my classes this semester and be in here bitter and cold, bitching about how UVA is not at all worth the money.

However, I will say that it has turned out to be the right decision so far for me. Beyond that you can find far greater wisdom here:

Kohinoor wrote:You could figure this out with math instead of hoping for reassuring anecdotes!

bees

Postby bees » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Do law schools only have to report your LSAC GPA, as opposed to the GPA you have when you graduate?

I'm not sure I have a problem with that - I seem to remember UGs not asking for your last semester of high schools classes either - but I would have loved it if you'd had a 3.87 and bumped it up to a 3.89 and you were told to update your LSAC GPA and then were admitted as soon as you did.

That would be TTT.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:We need to get Vanwinkle or some other UVA 1Ls in here to give their opinion because they can probably give a better picture than I can.

I'm hesitant to give my opinion at this point because it's clouded by hindsight bias. I can easily look back now and say "I made the right decision then", but at the time was it? Obviously I felt that it was, because I made it, but I could just as easily have tanked every single one of my classes this semester and be in here bitter and cold, bitching about how UVA is not at all worth the money.

However, I will say that it has turned out to be the right decision so far for me. Beyond that you can find far greater wisdom here:

Kohinoor wrote:You could figure this out with math instead of hoping for reassuring anecdotes!

I was referring to his predicament about his GPA falling and the email he received from one of the adcomms. Read the second page to see what we were talking about.

Also, the fact that you made ballin grades seems to be one of the worst kept secrets on TLS :lol:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:I was referring to his predicament about his GPA falling and the email he received from one of the adcomms. Read the second page to see what we were talking about.

I sent him a PM with my opinions already, actually. I had thoughts but I didn't want to share them publically for a couple different reasons.

jawsthegreat wrote:Also, the fact that you made ballin grades seems to be one of the worst kept secrets on TLS :lol:

:shock:

I'm gonna just "no comment" this one.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm

I agree with vanwinkle that the end answer of whether it was worth it will depend on how you perform in LS.

I'd just like to point out that the problem with OPs scenario is that if he has a lowish GPA, you're probably not talking full ride scholarship at a T20-30, like some earlier posts seem to suggest. I got into Michigan (a UVA peer), but my T20-30s options are NOT full rides. Even at Emory where they lavish $$$ on high LSATs, people with my numbers on LSN didn't get full rides. If you're not getting $ from a T10, you're probably not getting a full ride at a T20-30 (barring URM status).

Also, let's not forget that a full tuition scholarship doesn't cover the $45-50k you'd have to borrow for COL.

So the question becomes is UVA with about $180k debt with good job prospects for top third or top half of the class better than $60-80k debt at a T20-30 where only top 5-10% cut it for good prospects.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Attention avocado111,

I received your PM regarding this thread but cannot reply to it because you have PMs disabled. Please re-enable them and PM me again.

(Everybody else please ignore this, it's just another person seeking UVA advice, if anyone else wants advice specific to their own stats they're free to PM me as well.)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Attention avocado111,

I received your PM regarding this thread but cannot reply to it because you have PMs disabled. Please re-enable them and PM me again.

(Everybody else please ignore this, it's just another person seeking UVA advice, if anyone else wants advice specific to their own stats they're free to PM me as well.)

I don't know if LS's let students work in admissions, but if they do you should get a job in admissions and be UVA's rep on TLS. You would be able to keep us updated on the admissions process and so forth. Kind of like Dean Pless. You are already their best salesman.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Kakarot wrote:I don't know if LS's let students work in admissions, but if they do you should get a job in admissions and be UVA's rep on TLS. You would be able to keep us updated on the admissions process and so forth. Kind of like Dean Pless. You are already their best salesman.

Yeah, but if I were here in an official capacity I wouldn't have the freedom to smart off at people who need to be put in their place on here. If I'm gonna keep selling people on the school, I'm content to keep doing it for free and retain the freedom that comes with that. :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”