Is UVA worth sticker?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is UVA Worth Sticker?

Like, totally:
66%
No way, Jose:
12%
Only HYS are worth sticker:
22%

Total votes: 110

Cupidity

Is UVA worth sticker?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 am

Speculate.

Cupidity

Re: Is UVA worth sticker?

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 am

Also, it is the best school I may get into.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 am

Cupidity wrote:Also, it is the best school I may get into.

+1. I might have a shot at UVA and NU. Applied to CCP (Left N out) just for the hell of it.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:19 am

I hope so... because that's what I'm going to be paying.

Honestly though I think the real answer is... depends on what your other options are and what you want to do after graduation:

For me the answer is a resounding yes, it's worth sticker. But here are my circumstances:
1. I want to work in California and I have a low GPA, this locks me out of Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley, USC. Specifically I have a preference for NorCal so my options would have been Davis, Santa Clara, and Hastings. All 3 of these are known to be extremely stingy. The cheapest option for me would have been Santa Clara because I received a small scholarship and I had the option of living at home.
To me UVA sticker > Santa Clara for cheaper.

2. I don't know what I want to do: biglaw, PI, or government or whatever. I like keeping my options open and higher ranked schools have more options. UVA gives me a realistic shot at big law (if I decide to go for it).

3. I'm not huge on prestige, but I do care about it. I chose UCLA for undergrad over UC Irvine tuition and ASU with full tuition + small stipend. I don't look down at lower ranked schools, but for me personally I like the idea of challenging myself. I want to see if I'm capable at succeeding at a top-ranked, prestigious law school.

4. My only other option at t14 was Georgetown PT also at sticker. UVA seems like a much better environment for me (smaller town, more collegial atmosphere).

If I had had a choice between UVA and some sort of regionally dominant school with a big scholarship then that changes things. But for my area, Berkeley and Stanford are right here. There is no regionally dominant non-t14 school.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:05 am

I think T10 is worth sticker. Despite the chicken little mentality, the odds of getting a job are still decent. Granted it's not a given, but I don't think it's as bad as people are making it out to be, especially if the economy makes a comeback over the next 3 years.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:55 pm

no school is worth paying 40+K tuition...

i'm talking about educational quality.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I voted that only HYS are worth sticker. If you can get into UVA, odds are strong that you'll get $$ or $$$ at a T25, in which case I'd turn down UVA. $180,000+ debt is a horrifying prospect to me.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Even the education at harvard isn't worth the tuition. You are pretty much paying over 5,000 per class when most hobos can pick up law books at the library and read for free. It's the degree people pay for. If you are paying for the degree, then go for it.

redginseng

Postby redginseng » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm

no one buys education w/ 40K. Textbooks and supplements are enough to learn the law.

What you are actually buying is something more. E.g. no matter how much you know, you cannot get a prestigious clerkship, a chance to work in a prestigious law firm w/o coming out of a good law school.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:08 pm

so you are admitting you are paying money to get more money in the end? Then, professors could be obsolete you are saying?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:15 pm

UFMatt wrote:I voted that only HYS are worth sticker. If you can get into UVA, odds are strong that you'll get $$ or $$$ at a T25, in which case I'd turn down UVA. $180,000+ debt is a horrifying prospect to me.

Not as much an option for people who have preference for certain regions.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:18 pm

We pay for the credentials. A hobo reaeding law books for free may be smarter and better lawyer but having a degree from harvard law says something on its own. With the 1million+ lawyers in the US, firms employers and consumers need some way to categorize everyone.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:20 pm

ogman05 wrote:We pay for the credentials. A hobo reaeding law books for free may be smarter and better lawyer but having a degree from harvard law says something on its own. With the 1million+ lawyers in the US, firms employers and consumers need some way to categorize everyone.

+1 to hobo reaeding... That misspelling hurts my eyes to look at.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes.

But not if you have any money from CCN to Cornell.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Not to be confrontational, but I'm not going to answer a poll with "Like, totally" as my response. To answer the question, in absolute terms, probably not. LS everywhere is really just more expensive than it should be. But for people like myself and the many on these boards who are dying to become lawyers, it is absolutely worth sticker compared to other options.

I don't understand people that advocate taking half scholarships at schools that have greatly diminished job prospects (ie 20-30 schools vs. T10) because they are "risk averse." I'm paying sticker at UVA to manage the risk that I don't get a job at all. If I was less risk averse, I would take the money somewhere else and bank on top 5% and LR. That way I would have less money to pay back.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Kakarot wrote:
ogman05 wrote:We pay for the credentials. A hobo reaeding law books for free may be smarter and better lawyer but having a degree from harvard law says something on its own. With the 1million+ lawyers in the US, firms employers and consumers need some way to categorize everyone.

+1 to hobo reaeding... That misspelling hurts my eyes to look at.

lol.. tru my bad.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Not to be confrontational, but I'm not going to answer a poll with "Like, totally" as my response. To answer the question, in absolute terms, probably not. LS everywhere is really just more expensive than it should be. But for people like myself and the many on these boards who are dying to become lawyers, it is absolutely worth sticker compared to other options.

I don't understand people that advocate taking half scholarships at schools that have greatly diminished job prospects (ie 20-30 schools vs. T10) because they are "risk averse." I'm paying sticker at UVA to manage the risk that I don't get a job at all. If I was less risk averse, I would take the money somewhere else and bank on top 5% and LR. That way I would have less money to pay back.

+1
I agree with this. Gambling 3 years of your life (even at full scholarship) for dismal job prospects is risky.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Is UVA worth $180,000? We believed it once. Make us believe it again. He was a 0L of TLS. Honor him.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:12 pm

thesealocust wrote:Modest goal (small market firm, public interest / public defender work, politics work without hope of massive payout): The answer isn't 'no', but debt aversion makes a lot of sense here.

But in the bolded scenarios, isn't IBR going to make more sense anyways?

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:36 pm

id rather have a good shot at biglaw with debt than no chance and no debt

hence my UVA ED

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Modest goal (small market firm, public interest / public defender work, politics work without hope of massive payout): The answer isn't 'no', but debt aversion makes a lot of sense here.

But in the bolded scenarios, isn't IBR going to make more sense anyways?

IMO, yes. That's the gamble I took by coming to UVA and taking on massive debt to do so. I think that's also paying off, since prestige of degree is something that comes into play with these kind of decisions. I know a couple of my classmates who already have summer 1L internships with the USAO in their home district, and got them before grades even came out.

If you're going PI, IBR+T14 can be a winning combination. It does open doors that lower-ranked schools won't. You just have to carefully consider the debt and how you plan to pay it off.

Da Stain

Postby Da Stain » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 pm

UVA2L (Hooray!!)

Seriously consider how debt-averse you. I guess this goes for all of you. I had scholarships to T25, but decided to pay sticker here. Just try and imagine how much it will weigh on you 18 months from now if your phone isn't ringing after OGI. Will it drive you nuts? Will you be okay?

Ultimately, I think the academic stuff takes care of itself. If you're a top 10% student at GW, you'll probably do pretty well at UVA anyway. Given what I know now, if I could go to GW for free or UVA for sticker, I'd probably pick GW. I've got a girlfriend, I'll probably be getting married after graduation, and I'm unemployed. 200k for what turned out to be the same job prospects as a T25 isn't what I had in mind.

So, don't just focus on academics. Think about yourself and whether or not you have the stomach for the somewhat real chance that you will be 200k in the hole with no foreseeable way to pay it off anywhere near the way you imagined.

(FWIW, I'm right on the median, so this isn't some sort of buyer's remorse about being a shitty law student. 2 years ago I'd have been very happy right now.)

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:29 pm

biglaw has been a crapshoot for most people at T10 last summer and if you miss the boat your 2L summer it's very difficult to ever crack into.

Don't justify the debt by banking on biglaw.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 pm

It depends.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”