Testing thanks

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LLK2009

Testing thanks

Postby LLK2009 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm

testing thanks
Last edited by LLK2009 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Re: biglaw paralegal?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 pm

That is known as "Work Experience" or WE and is a soft factor for admissions. Every time you see people talking about WE or softs in general, this applies in that way.

"Softs" are called softs because they are a lot less supportive of your application than "hard" numbers (your LSAT and GPA). So it can make a difference, but not nearly as much as your GPA and LSAT will.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 pm

LLK2009 wrote:Can this have a significant influence on my competitiveness for law school admissions? I was a biglaw paralegal for 2 years after undergrad at one of the top firms in the country - wondering how much I can play this up in my app.

Mention it, but understand that such qualifications are par for the course.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 pm

LLK2009 wrote:Can this have a significant influence on my competitiveness for law school admissions? I was a biglaw paralegal for 2 years after undergrad at one of the top firms in the country - wondering how much I can play this up in my app.

I think it will be helpful if you did something very interesting during your two years there, like coordinate a pro bono program or something cool. Otherwise, lots of people were BigLaw paralegals before law school doing what most BigLaw paralegals do: page check, make binders, re-make binders, re-make them again, bates stamp a trillion pages, add a sub-level to a few pages that were originally left out or added in later, stay up all night going through exhibits or cite-checking. Some of the lucky ones get to do more interesting things, and if you're one of them then you may be able to use it to your advantage. I wouldn't, however, make it a major part of my PS or make it what qualifies me as an interesting person if I were you.

LLK2009

Postby LLK2009 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 am

sirchristaylor wrote:

I think it will be helpful if you did something very interesting during your two years there, like coordinate a pro bono program or something cool. Otherwise, lots of people were BigLaw paralegals before law school doing what most BigLaw paralegals do: page check, make binders, re-make binders, re-make them again, bates stamp a trillion pages, add a sub-level to a few pages that were originally left out or added in later, stay up all night going through exhibits or cite-checking. Some of the lucky ones get to do more interesting things, and if you're one of them then you may be able to use it to your advantage. I wouldn't, however, make it a major part of my PS or make it what qualifies me as an interesting person if I were you.

Thanks for this.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 am

Talk with coworkers who are alumni at the schools to which you're applying. Try to get some targeted LORS. You can also play up the fact that you want to be a lawyer because of experience and not just some dream. You know what it takes, etc. If the firm has a close connection with a particular school (they recruit there, lots of alumni, etc.) that could work in your favor.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 am

When I wrote LsOCI to schools that had waitlisted me, I also mentioned in some way the partners, counsel, and associates with whom I had interacted and to whom I looked up as a means of somewhat personalizing the letter. That's another angle that you can take.

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 am

I sure hope so. I've worked as a paralegal in biglaw for 10 years, and trust me, I do much more than bates and binders. Essentially the attorney tells me the strategy and I prepare the documents so that most of the time all he has to do is read them and sign his name.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 am

raperez129 wrote:I sure hope so. I've worked as a paralegal in biglaw for 10 years, and trust me, I do much more than bates and binders. Essentially the attorney tells me the strategy and I prepare the documents so that most of the time all he has to do is read them and sign his name.

It sounds like your experience would probably be considered unique when compared to most of the rest of us, so you should be able to capitalize much more on your time there.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:54 am

I think it is significant especially at Northwestern. Make sure you have a good resume ready. And im not sure for those people making binder sif you are really a paralegal...maybe thats your title but your probably just a legal secretyary in reality

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 pm

meowmeow wrote:I think it is significant especially at Northwestern. Make sure you have a good resume ready. And im not sure for those people making binder sif you are really a paralegal...maybe thats your title but your probably just a legal secretyary in reality

Ha. I think every Biglaw paralegal wishes...

Edit: When I speak of making binders, it almost always refers to the 1 to 2-year paras that leave and go on to law school. I'm not saying all that you do is make binders, but it definitely has a way of sticking out in ones memory above many other things. I got lucky and got to do awesome stuff in addition to making binders. :D

LDC

Postby LDC » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 pm

here's the advice i got from a lawyer when i was choosing jobs:

DON'T DO IT.

if you want good experience, try for a research asst. position at a think tank or non-profit. it's much more interesting and you'll learn a ton. and you'll have more to write about when you apply to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”