Graduate GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
besixdouze

New

Graduate GPA

Post by besixdouze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi, all!

I know that LSAT and GPA are the two primary interests whilst applying to law schools, but I have a concern.

My undergraduate GPA (with majors in English, writing, philosophy and religion and a minor in global studies) was either a 3.6 or a 3.7.

However, I am halfway through my graduate school/divinity school program at Vanderbilt University and my GPA is a 3.4. I'm hoping I can attribute this to grad school having higher standards and it being Vanderbilt (as well as professors not being keen to give out As) but will this be a huge hindrance to getting admitted? How does the graduate GPA factor in while applying to law school?

PoliticalJunkie

Bronze

Re: Graduate GPA

Post by PoliticalJunkie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:54 am

Grad GPA's are usually inflated and not considered as a hard factor in admissions, though it's a soft that can only help.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:42 am

Very rarely do you see someone with a higher undergrad GPA than grad school GPA.

But yeah, it's the kind of thing that won't help you if it's good, but might hurt you if it's bad.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:00 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 am

thesealocust wrote:A graduate GPA much below 3.7 is actively embarrassing.

On the other hand, it isn't factored into U.S. News & World Report's rankings, so it won't matter. In fact, you probably don't even have to supply your graduate GPA. Bank error in your favor!
You have to request transcripts from your grad school....

To the OP: If the program has absolutely serious grade deflation and you have an actual respectable GPA in comparison to everyone else you might want to explain that in an addendum. If not, it still should not hurt you that much since only undergrad counts for rankings. Grad school is still a decent soft to have, just might be a weaker soft with a bad GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”