Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rayiner

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:21 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:
rayiner wrote:
jitsrenzo wrote:I am too discontent for my own good, so I feel this way.

Discontent about what?

I would've been delighted to get into CCN a year ago, but now I'm kicking myself for not getting a few more points on the LSAT or a .08 grade bump. Silly, stupid, and sure-fire way to not be happy? YES

Law school is a means to an end. Will CCN get you the job you want? Then be happy and don't look back. Don't compare yourself to other people because frankly there are a shit ton of people better than you. If you got into CCN, there are ~900 people who got into YHS. If you got into YHS, there are ~450 people who will (statistically) finish above you in the class*. Set realistic goals, work to execute them, and be happy when you attain them.

*) And a lot of those will be taller, better looking, and have hotter girlfriends. :lol:

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?

Won't go over two pages.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:29 pm

oneforship wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?

Won't go over two pages.

In his defense, Helmholtz couldn't have possibly anticipated the more positive direction this thread has taken.... especially after the "ratard" incident. +1 for TLS recovery today.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:fuck it, I'll bite...where's the quote from?

Listen, I don't know if this happens on TLS often, but I feel bad for calling you a ratard. I didn't mean it. I understand the point of your original response, and although I agree with several of your sentiments, I don't think you fully understood mine. It was a targeted inquiry, relative to both specific group of applicants and possible considerations of the same.

I would personally be thrilled if I get into either Georgetown, IUB or similar. There certainly won't be any "remorse" on my part as I'm working as hard as I can towards the top of my class next year. A year or so of UG ratardness on my part left a considerable scar on my UG record and so I understand the realistic chance of my own reaches into certain schools. That is, however, neither here nor there; I'd just like to apologize for calling you a ratard.

apology accepted, reasonable doubt. and I'm sorry for calling you a "retard".

P.S.-I haven't seen the Hangover yet, so I guess I'm slow on the pop culture.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Honestly, dude, don't bother watching The Hangover. That movie was waaay overhyped. The humor was about as sophisticated as...well, some other bad comedy I've forgotten about. I remember hearing it was better than Wedding Crashers, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc., but that just ain't true. People will quote anything if it seems popular. The Sackster should have quit while he was ahead.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:52 pm

whitman wrote:Honestly, dude, don't bother watching The Hangover. That movie was waaay overhyped. The humor was about as sophisticated as...well, some other bad comedy I've forgotten about. I remember hearing it was better than Wedding Crashers, 40 Year Old Virgin, etc., but that just ain't true. People will quote anything if it seems popular. The Sackster should have quit while he was ahead.

Mike Tyson Cameo = worth seeing.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Only in the warped world of TLS would attending a T6-T14 school make one feel like a failure.

Let's review what schools are in T7-T14:

Berkeley
Penn
Michigan
Duke
Northwestern
Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown

Are these really considered dumps now? Give me a break.

In the real world going to any of these schools is fairly prestigious. And if you think the name of the school on your degree determines the rest of your life, then obviously you don't have much confidence in your abilities to succeed on your own merits.

There are limits to this, of course. Phoenix School of Law, etc. But your career potential is dictated much more by your drive and skills than by whether you went to HYS or Va/Cornell/Gtown.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass

Anti G-town trolling.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:09 pm

To answer the question, no.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:31 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass

Anti G-town trolling.

And some kind of anti-Boalt trolling.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:34 pm

beef wellington wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

/out of my ass

Anti G-town trolling.

Yeah, half assed though because he included them the first time around.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:36 pm

beef wellington wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPBDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass

Anti G-town trolling.

Forgetting boalt in the second half was on accident.

But it is anti GULC trolling. GULC is just barely better than UCLA, UT or Vandy in terms of placement. If GULC reduced its class size to that of NU and Cornell, it might place as well, but instead they have 1000000 GULC grads chasing the same jobs in DC. It's a slaughter.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:...heir of resentment...

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 pm

underachiever wrote:No, most at Penn could have been at CCN but decided on P for some reason. While there is talk here and there about people wanting to transfer to H or Y, I would 95% are really happy to be here (as happy to be in law school as one can be) and I would say im in this club. I mean i wanted to go to Harvard Law, but 99% of people do and thats just because of the name recognition, not for any real reason. Once i got my LSAT i focused on whats the best school for me and i know after being here for a few months that i found it

Really? (Seriously asking)

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Unemployed wrote:
underachiever wrote:No, most at Penn could have been at CCN but decided on P for some reason. While there is talk here and there about people wanting to transfer to H or Y, I would 95% are really happy to be here (as happy to be in law school as one can be) and I would say im in this club. I mean i wanted to go to Harvard Law, but 99% of people do and thats just because of the name recognition, not for any real reason. Once i got my LSAT i focused on whats the best school for me and i know after being here for a few months that i found it

I could see law students interested in business trying to sneak into Wharton, or at least take courses there. It happens enough that the Wharton ad-comm is "getting tired" of the Penn Law backdoor.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:45 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Is attending a top 6 to top 14 school

Massive anti-Chicago trolling in this thread...

ccs224 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:...heir of resentment...

Also... clearly a clever reference to "inborn sense of entitlement"

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Depends if your numbers are in the 25% or 75%. Same question at every school. Either you're thrilled to be there or wish you could have gotten into a better school.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 pm

englawyer wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

I could see law students interested in business trying to sneak into Wharton, or at least take courses there. It happens enough that the Wharton ad-comm is "getting tired" of the Penn Law backdoor.

Don't get me wrong - it's a totally sensible decision to go to Penn over CCN. I'm just surprised by the notion that most people at Penn had (or could have) gotten into CCN.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:50 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:fuck it, I'll bite...where's the quote from?

Listen, I don't know if this happens on TLS often, but I feel bad for calling you a ratard. I didn't mean it. I understand the point of your original response, and although I agree with several of your sentiments, I don't think you fully understood mine. It was a targeted inquiry, relative to both specific group of applicants and possible considerations of the same.

I would personally be thrilled if I get into either Georgetown, IUB or similar. There certainly won't be any "remorse" on my part as I'm working as hard as I can towards the top of my class next year. A year or so of UG ratardness on my part left a considerable scar on my UG record and so I understand the realistic chance of my own reaches into certain schools. That is, however, neither here nor there; I'd just like to apologize for calling you a ratard.

apology accepted, reasonable doubt. and I'm sorry for calling you a "retard".

P.S.-I haven't seen the Hangover yet, so I guess I'm slow on the pop culture.

objectively terrible movie

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:01 pm

More like anti-NYU trolling.

In four years it will be:

HYS*CC*NBP*VCGDMN*

*= Logical Breaks.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:More like anti-NYU trolling.

HYS*CC*NBP*VCGDMN*

*= Logical Breaks.

That is some anti-VA+Mich trolling

HYS*CC*NMVPB*DNCG

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:12 pm

HYS*CC*NBP*VCGDMN*

*= Logical Breaks.

Maybe for NYC placement only. For nationwide its more like HYS*CC*NBPVCDMN*G

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm

This has probably already been said (because it is obvious), but of course there are people like this at any school. There are also people who are elated to be there, as well. Basically, if a T6-10 was a reach for you, and you were accepted and are attending, you are pretty happy. If it was just a target for you, and you didn't make it into T5 where you really wanted to be, then you are naturally going to feel a little disappointed.

This is all relative and applies to literally every school, it isn't rocket science.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

HYS*CC*NBP*VCGDMN*

*= Logical Breaks.

Maybe for NYC placement only. For nationwide its more like HYS*CC*NBPVCDMN*G

RANCID Cornell trolling

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”