Page 5 of 6

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 pm
by fortissimo
booboo wrote:
im_blue wrote:With the way CA is heading, T9 is actually anti-Boalt.


And looking at the way Boalt jumps around on the rankings (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eF5IpaOMmrY/SewXHSA8RiI/AAAAAAAAAM0/e-F_a44JEQE/s1600-h/USNWRT14.png ) I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.


Boalt is like the unmedicated schizophrenic of the t14.

Attending a school between 6 and 14 is nice. Fewer gunners and more chill time.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 pm
by jawsthegreat
OP is a douche.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm
by Kobe_Teeth
jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.



+1

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 pm
by jonas586
Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?


Won't go over two pages.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 pm
by reasonabledoubt
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.



+1


-2

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm
by Sogui
Before I took the LSAT I was practicing at 169-176 with my average being around 172-173.

With my GPA and weak softs I would have been very happy to attend NYU and down ecstatic to get a Columbia acceptance.

Well I scored a 176 and within a month my expectations completely turned on their head.

The NYU acceptance I got became an "Oh, all right!" moment

The Columbia acceptance became a "Wow! I'm in!!" moment

But I still check the hell out of my email every day hoping for a JR1 email, check the Harvard 2010 and Phone Interview thread obsessively. I start feeling more and more like a mediocre candidate the longer I hang out in the Harvard thread, it feels like 80% of the posters in there are in at Stanford, Yale, or Columbia with a Butler or Hamilton. Now I'm at the point where I feel like a failure if I don't at least get a JR1 out of Harvard.

If I had gotten that 173 and gotten into NYU/Columbia I would be perfectly content! But since someone with my numbers (176/3.87) is "expected" to get into Harvard, or at least receive a JR1... I keep putting myself on pins and needles.


It's all about expectations and relative performance people. I'm sure even even 50% of HLS would feel like losers if they hung out with YLS kids long enough.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:19 pm
by kittenmittons
jonas586 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?


Won't go over two pages.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 pm
by Richie Tenenbaum
rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Is attending a top 6 to top 14 school similar to a morrissey concert? In other words, full of depressed, morose, unstable, sullenly people wearing black who don't shower often? Does everyone walk around with a subtle, yet undeniable, heir of resentment that they didn't make it into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc?

It's a serious question - and I'm giving credit to all T14's in the sense that they surely must have worked reasonably hard to get there. (ug gpa, lsat, w/e, etc) But, is there an lingering sense of "fail" for not making it all the way to the top 5? Do most offset this sense of fail by being an insatiable, friendless gunner for three years in t6 tyo t14's?

I may barely make it into Georgetown, so this thread isn't specifically targeted for me, but I am still curious in case I plan to transfer up after 1L. Anyways, what do you all reckon the predominant dynamics are in the lower end of the T14 world?


The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass


I agree with this. The people with the biggest chips on their shoulder are probably folks at CLS, because they just barely missed HLS (likely by 0.1 GPA points or so). And the "girl at a bar" prestige gap between HLS and Columbia is enormous. Meanwhile, I can't imagine there are too many people at Duke upset over barely missing Virginia...


I agree with the CLS situation for sure. For Chicago and NYU though, people can "sneak" in with a GPA around 3.4-3.5 with a good LSAT score (*cough* me hopefully *cough*). For those people, I imagine they are extremely grateful (*cough* I know I would, please accept me both *cough*) and cannot be too upset about missing HLS by around .2-.4 GPA points.

Another thought that comes out of this discussion: I bet there are a lot of people who are estatic to be at Berkeley (unless they are pissed about not getting a few points higher on the LSAT to have a shot at Stanford).

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm
by reasonabledoubt
jawsthegreat wrote:jawsthegreat is a douche. this thread is good discussion.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm
by jawsthegreat
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.



+1


-2


Lol, this just proves that you are.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm
by reasonabledoubt
Sogui wrote:Before I took the LSAT I was practicing at 169-176 with my average being around 172-173.

With my GPA and weak softs I would have been very happy to attend NYU and down ecstatic to get a Columbia acceptance.

Well I scored a 176 and within a month my expectations completely turned on their head.

The NYU acceptance I got became an "Oh, all right!" moment

The Columbia acceptance became a "Wow! I'm in!!" moment

But I still check the hell out of my email every day hoping for a JR1 email, check the Harvard 2010 and Phone Interview thread obsessively. I start feeling more and more like a mediocre candidate the longer I hang out in the Harvard thread, it feels like 80% of the posters in there are in at Stanford, Yale, or Columbia with a Butler or Hamilton. Now I'm at the point where I feel like a failure if I don't at least get a JR1 out of Harvard.

If I had gotten that 173 and gotten into NYU/Columbia I would be perfectly content! But since someone with my numbers (176/3.87) is "expected" to get into Harvard, or at least receive a JR1... I keep putting myself on pins and needles.


It's all about expectations and relative performance people. I'm sure even even 50% of HLS would feel like losers if they hung out with YLS kids long enough.


What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm
by reasonabledoubt
jawsthegreat wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.



+1


-2


Lol, this just proves that I am.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm
by englawyer
reasonabledoubt wrote:What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.


we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 pm
by Richie Tenenbaum
jawsthegreat wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.



+1


-2


Lol, this just proves that I am.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 pm
by Oblomov
whataboutbahb wrote:
englawyer wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.


we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:


SCJ > POTUS.

You need to know the prestige breakdown if you want to be a gunner for life.


Taft was a gunner's gunner.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm
by reasonabledoubt
englawyer wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.


we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:50 pm
by kittenmittons
Illuminati or bust

hth

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 am
by aIvin adams
kittenmittons wrote:Illuminati or bust

hth


Image

potus < scj < jayz

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 am
by Oblomov
reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.


we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.


Subtle Zionist conspiracy trolling.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am
by reasonabledoubt
Oblomov wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.


we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.


Subtle Zionist conspiracy trolling.


False. I meant what I wrote.... finance/corporate/banking elite. It's more of a class consideration and which one makes the rules. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's common sense conclusion if you look at the dynamics of our institutions.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am
by englawyer
reasonabledoubt wrote:
False. I meant what I wrote.... finance/corporate/banking elite. It's more of a class consideration and which one makes the rules. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's common sense conclusion if you look at the dynamics of our institutions.


cough cough...massive wall st bailout..cough cough

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 pm
by Nom Sawyer
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Oblomov wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:


I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.


Subtle Zionist conspiracy trolling.


False. I meant what I wrote.... finance/corporate/banking elite. It's more of a class consideration and which one makes the rules. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's common sense conclusion if you look at the dynamics of our institutions.


Image

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm
by of Benito Cereno
Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Is attending a top 6 to top 14 school similar to a morrissey concert? In other words, full of depressed, morose, unstable, sullenly people wearing black who don't shower often? Does everyone walk around with a subtle, yet undeniable, heir of resentment that they didn't make it into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc?

It's a serious question - and I'm giving credit to all T14's in the sense that they surely must have worked reasonably hard to get there. (ug gpa, lsat, w/e, etc) But, is there an lingering sense of "fail" for not making it all the way to the top 5? Do most offset this sense of fail by being an insatiable, friendless gunner for three years in t6 tyo t14's?

I may barely make it into Georgetown, so this thread isn't specifically targeted for me, but I am still curious in case I plan to transfer up after 1L. Anyways, what do you all reckon the predominant dynamics are in the lower end of the T14 world?


The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass


the difference between CLS and penn or virginia might not be that huge but the difference between CLS and NW, Cornell or Duke is quite another story.

edit: just realized I was posting in a crazy pat buchanan thread.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:22 pm
by reasonabledoubt
The pragmatic "conspiracy" label: Shutting down any meaningful dialogue relating to the investigation of how our financial system actually functions since 1913.

No surprises. Predictable. Carry on.

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm
by Nom Sawyer
reasonabledoubt wrote:The pragmatic "conspiracy" label: Shutting down any meaningful dialogue relating to the investigation of how our financial system actually functions since 1913.

No surprises. Predictable. Carry on.




reasonabledoubt wrote:You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for.


Just had to quote it one more time for kicks... :D