Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fortissimo

Silver

Re: Do T-6 to t-14's feel like failures for 3 years?

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 pm

booboo wrote:
im_blue wrote: With the way CA is heading, T9 is actually anti-Boalt.
And looking at the way Boalt jumps around on the rankings (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eF5IpaOMmrY/S ... NWRT14.png ) I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.
Boalt is like the unmedicated schizophrenic of the t14.

Attending a school between 6 and 14 is nice. Fewer gunners and more chill time.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 pm

OP is a douche.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:OP is a douche.

+1

jonas586

New

Post by jonas586 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?
Won't go over two pages.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Before I took the LSAT I was practicing at 169-176 with my average being around 172-173.

With my GPA and weak softs I would have been very happy to attend NYU and down ecstatic to get a Columbia acceptance.

Well I scored a 176 and within a month my expectations completely turned on their head.

The NYU acceptance I got became an "Oh, all right!" moment

The Columbia acceptance became a "Wow! I'm in!!" moment

But I still check the hell out of my email every day hoping for a JR1 email, check the Harvard 2010 and Phone Interview thread obsessively. I start feeling more and more like a mediocre candidate the longer I hang out in the Harvard thread, it feels like 80% of the posters in there are in at Stanford, Yale, or Columbia with a Butler or Hamilton. Now I'm at the point where I feel like a failure if I don't at least get a JR1 out of Harvard.

If I had gotten that 173 and gotten into NYU/Columbia I would be perfectly content! But since someone with my numbers (176/3.87) is "expected" to get into Harvard, or at least receive a JR1... I keep putting myself on pins and needles.

It's all about expectations and relative performance people. I'm sure even even 50% of HLS would feel like losers if they hung out with YLS kids long enough.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:19 pm

jonas586 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Any bets on how long this thread is going to be?
Won't go over two pages.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:27 pm

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Is attending a top 6 to top 14 school similar to a morrissey concert? In other words, full of depressed, morose, unstable, sullenly people wearing black who don't shower often? Does everyone walk around with a subtle, yet undeniable, heir of resentment that they didn't make it into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc?

It's a serious question - and I'm giving credit to all T14's in the sense that they surely must have worked reasonably hard to get there. (ug gpa, lsat, w/e, etc) But, is there an lingering sense of "fail" for not making it all the way to the top 5? Do most offset this sense of fail by being an insatiable, friendless gunner for three years in t6 tyo t14's?

I may barely make it into Georgetown, so this thread isn't specifically targeted for me, but I am still curious in case I plan to transfer up after 1L. Anyways, what do you all reckon the predominant dynamics are in the lower end of the T14 world?
The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass
I agree with this. The people with the biggest chips on their shoulder are probably folks at CLS, because they just barely missed HLS (likely by 0.1 GPA points or so). And the "girl at a bar" prestige gap between HLS and Columbia is enormous. Meanwhile, I can't imagine there are too many people at Duke upset over barely missing Virginia...
I agree with the CLS situation for sure. For Chicago and NYU though, people can "sneak" in with a GPA around 3.4-3.5 with a good LSAT score (*cough* me hopefully *cough*). For those people, I imagine they are extremely grateful (*cough* I know I would, please accept me both *cough*) and cannot be too upset about missing HLS by around .2-.4 GPA points.

Another thought that comes out of this discussion: I bet there are a lot of people who are estatic to be at Berkeley (unless they are pissed about not getting a few points higher on the LSAT to have a shot at Stanford).

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:29 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:jawsthegreat is a douche. this thread is good discussion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:

+1
Lol, this just proves that you are.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Sogui wrote:Before I took the LSAT I was practicing at 169-176 with my average being around 172-173.

With my GPA and weak softs I would have been very happy to attend NYU and down ecstatic to get a Columbia acceptance.

Well I scored a 176 and within a month my expectations completely turned on their head.

The NYU acceptance I got became an "Oh, all right!" moment

The Columbia acceptance became a "Wow! I'm in!!" moment

But I still check the hell out of my email every day hoping for a JR1 email, check the Harvard 2010 and Phone Interview thread obsessively. I start feeling more and more like a mediocre candidate the longer I hang out in the Harvard thread, it feels like 80% of the posters in there are in at Stanford, Yale, or Columbia with a Butler or Hamilton. Now I'm at the point where I feel like a failure if I don't at least get a JR1 out of Harvard.

If I had gotten that 173 and gotten into NYU/Columbia I would be perfectly content! But since someone with my numbers (176/3.87) is "expected" to get into Harvard, or at least receive a JR1... I keep putting myself on pins and needles.

It's all about expectations and relative performance people. I'm sure even even 50% of HLS would feel like losers if they hung out with YLS kids long enough.
What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:

+1
Lol, this just proves that I am.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote: What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.
we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:

+1
Lol, this just proves that I am.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:
englawyer wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote: What does this say about human nature? Something. With that said, many congrats on your acceptances. I'm sure you're smart enough to put this all in proper perspective while continuing on to many more successes and accomplishments.
we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:
SCJ > POTUS.

You need to know the prestige breakdown if you want to be a gunner for life.
Taft was a gunner's gunner.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

englawyer wrote:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:50 pm

Illuminati or bust

hth

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 am

kittenmittons wrote:Illuminati or bust

hth

potus < scj < jayz

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. You don't think Obama realizes how many people higher up on the pyramid there are than him? You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for. With that said, POTUS is an extremely elevated role, but by no means the king of the cabal.
Subtle Zionist conspiracy trolling.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 am

Oblomov wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote:
False. I meant what I wrote.... finance/corporate/banking elite. It's more of a class consideration and which one makes the rules. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's common sense conclusion if you look at the dynamics of our institutions.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:
False. I meant what I wrote.... finance/corporate/banking elite. It's more of a class consideration and which one makes the rules. This isn't conspiracy theory, it's common sense conclusion if you look at the dynamics of our institutions.
cough cough...massive wall st bailout..cough cough

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:
Oblomov wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:
englawyer wrote: we are all blatant social climbers that will never be satisfied, unless we eventually rise to president of the United States. he/she must feel pretty damn accomplished :wink:

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote:Is attending a top 6 to top 14 school similar to a morrissey concert? In other words, full of depressed, morose, unstable, sullenly people wearing black who don't shower often? Does everyone walk around with a subtle, yet undeniable, heir of resentment that they didn't make it into Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc?

It's a serious question - and I'm giving credit to all T14's in the sense that they surely must have worked reasonably hard to get there. (ug gpa, lsat, w/e, etc) But, is there an lingering sense of "fail" for not making it all the way to the top 5? Do most offset this sense of fail by being an insatiable, friendless gunner for three years in t6 tyo t14's?

I may barely make it into Georgetown, so this thread isn't specifically targeted for me, but I am still curious in case I plan to transfer up after 1L. Anyways, what do you all reckon the predominant dynamics are in the lower end of the T14 world?
The difference between CCN and MVPBDNC is smaller than the difference between YHS and CCN. YHS is like gold, CCN silver, and MVPDNC is like bronze. Silver knows they just barely missed gold, but bronze is just happy they got a medal.

/out of my ass
the difference between CLS and penn or virginia might not be that huge but the difference between CLS and NW, Cornell or Duke is quite another story.

edit: just realized I was posting in a crazy pat buchanan thread.

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:22 pm

The pragmatic "conspiracy" label: Shutting down any meaningful dialogue relating to the investigation of how our financial system actually functions since 1913.

No surprises. Predictable. Carry on.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:The pragmatic "conspiracy" label: Shutting down any meaningful dialogue relating to the investigation of how our financial system actually functions since 1913.

No surprises. Predictable. Carry on.

reasonabledoubt wrote:You don't get tapped to be president from the banking/corporate constituency unless you fully understand who you're working for.
Just had to quote it one more time for kicks... :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”