Internship or LSAT study hours

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I?

Take the internship...It is Just 8 hours
24%
It is not worth lossing a point on the LSAT
35%
you will be fine either way
29%
internships are useless...win a nobel prize instead
12%

Total votes: 17

crossingforHYS

Internship or LSAT study hours

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

so I know think I know the answer to this question...but I really need some support.
I recently acquired a great internship with a non-profit and I accepted it...
now I am having second thoughts because I am taking the test in June and would rather have those 8 hours free to study...
Do you think that dropping the internship and having one less activity would hurt my chances in anyway?

Thank you for all your replies in advance!

reebtoor

Re: Internship or LSAT study hours

Postby reebtoor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Studying for the LSAT is worth every minute you put in, at least until you feel like you've maxed out. Internships are almost useless when it comes to a law school application. The only way I would suggest continuing with the internship is if you enjoy it so much that you are not physically or mentally tired when you study, and if you have no other obligations, friends or interests. Once you feel like you have reached your potential with the LSAT, you can worry about the things that matter much, much less.

mattymatt

Postby mattymatt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I can't say that I agree with that.

The internship is probably a lot more fun than studying for the LSAT. Also, with less time to do important things, I've noticed that the quality of my work increases in that since I have less time, I can't procrastinate or do half-assed work.

You're probably going to be over-studying anyway, so having some time where you are forced not to deal with the LSAT is probably a good idea.

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Internships allow you to find out what line of work you enjoy. Losing this experience (especially since you say it's going to be good work) will not be a small thing, like many others are saying.

Maybe this internship will help you realize that law school is not what you want to do? Do the work and learn from it.

When I studied for the LSAT, I was working full time at a think tank internship. I had plenty of time during lunch, nights, and weekends to put in study time. As long as you're motivated, you will be fine.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 pm

mattymatt wrote:I can't say that I agree with that.

The internship is probably a lot more fun than studying for the LSAT. Also, with less time to do important things, I've noticed that the quality of my work increases in that since I have less time, I can't procrastinate or do half-assed work.

You're probably going to be over-studying anyway, so having some time where you are forced not to deal with the LSAT is probably a good idea.

I am like that too...but I already have 5 classes a thesis three clubs mock trial and a job....the internship is great but it's advocacy and I have done advocacy before...so I dont know.

besides that, thank you for all your replies...I appreciate the varied and thought out responses!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”