So Many Schools Are Saying That They've Received A Record Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
monkeyboy

Bronze

So Many Schools Are Saying That They've Received A Record

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 am

number of apps.

Quote: "Not to be a debbie downer, but you'll probably be waitlisted because you applied this late. Good luck."

I feel like Corey Haim in License To Drive. I'm going to be on the outside looking in, and I'll have to apply again next year. Only next year, November 1st will be considered late, and the 166 I'll get on my June retake won't be good enough to get me into Cooley or Ave Maria. I'll end up getting an online law degree.

Sorry for being a debbie downer. :P

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Re: So Many Schools Are Saying That They've Received A Record

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am

monkeyboy wrote:number of apps.

Quote: "Not to be a debbie downer, but you'll probably be waitlisted because you applied this late. Good luck."

I feel like Corey Haim in License To Drive. I'm going to be on the outside looking in, and I'll have to apply again next year. Only next year, November 1st will be considered late, and the 166 I'll get on my June retake won't be good enough to get me into Cooley or Ave Maria. I'll end up getting an online law degree.

Yeah but he still got a Mercedes, didn't he?

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:32 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:number of apps.

Yeah but he still got a Mercedes, didn't he?
Ha ha. I drive a Jetta. A Mercedes wouldn't be bad.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:40 am

If it makes ya feel better, I just got my applications in mid-jan, and am still puttering a few out.

Kinda have to hope that it all works out. I dont mind waiting a year, but have a feeling I'll be able to get into a T30 school I'm happy with (although i might have had a shot at T14 had I applied on Oct 1st).

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:41 am

You know all I'd say is that this record number of apps doesn't necessarily mean quality..... there are a slew of people that made the snap decision to seek grad school shelter for three years until the economy either stabilizes or we're sold to China.

Many didn't prepare for the LSAT as much as those who had planned to go to law school from either undergrad or a few calculated years of work. In any case, I wouldn't worry about all these "record number app" sky-is-falling reports.

Universities like profit too... if anything you'll start seeing class sizes grow throughout the next few years. More profs, more faculty, etc. The goverment will be underwriting this stampede in the form of millions in student loans. We'll rack up the debt as a gesture of faith in the American economy and if all works out we'll have a more educated workforce in the coming decades thanks to this economic crisis. This equals job security as our economy continues to grow. There's your silver lining. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:You know all I'd say is that this record number of apps doesn't necessarily mean quality..... there are a slew of people that made the snap decision to seek grad school shelter for three years until the economy either stabilizes or we're sold to China.

Many didn't prepare for the LSAT as much as those who had planned to go to law school from either undergrad or a few calculated years of work. In any case, I wouldn't worry about all these "record number app" sky-is-falling reports.

Universities like profit too... if anything you'll start seeing class sizes grow throughout the next few years. More profs, more faculty, etc. The goverment will be underwriting this stampede in the form of millions in student loans. We'll rack up the debt as a gesture of faith in the American economy and if all works out we'll have a more educated workforce in the coming decades thanks to this economic crisis. This equals job security as our economy continues to grow. There's your silver lining. :)
Hey, as long as I'm one of the lucky ones who gets into a school that is a reach, and so long as I am one of the lucky ones who gets a great (not good, great) job upon graduation, then I'm totally cool with all of that. Otherwise, no way bro-se. Then, I am not cool with that. Unless I win the lottery as a consolation.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:You know all I'd say is that this record number of apps doesn't necessarily mean quality..... there are a slew of people that made the snap decision to seek grad school shelter for three years until the economy either stabilizes or we're sold to China.

until we realize we have too many paper pushers and not enough actual workers...then we are screwed, and hope we can peddle our prestigious law firms to other nations with a real economy :shock:

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:58 am

englawyer wrote:

until we realize we have too many paper pushers and not enough actual workers...then we are screwed, and hope we can peddle our prestigious law firms to other nations with a real economy :shock:
So you're saying that we have too many people with college degrees who are unwilling to labor even though there aren't enough white collar jobs to go around?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 am

well there are plenty of white-collar jobs that produce stuff as well. for example...when 4-5 computer scientists are on a team and make a website, they made an actual product that grows the economy.

i was referring more to the growing trend of lawyers, who are really a necessary evil rather than economic producers. our economy places too much power, money and prestige in the service sector: law, banking, consulting.

but the effect you referred to is there as well. blue-collar type jobs are unfortunately regarded as shameful by most people, so there is an intense pressure to over-produce college degree holders.

the working class is starting to have its revenge, though, as some of the trades are making some decent cash nowadays (plumber, etc). it is probably a better career path than a sizable chunk of post-college options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:10 am

englawyer wrote:well there are plenty of white-collar jobs that produce stuff as well. for example...when 4-5 computer scientists are on a team and make a website, they made an actual product that grows the economy.

i was referring more to the growing trend of lawyers, who are really a necessary evil rather than economic producers. our economy places too much power, money and prestige in the service sector: law, banking, consulting.

but the effect you referred to is there as well. blue-collar type jobs are unfortunately regarded as shameful by most people, so there is an intense pressure to over-produce college degree holders.

the working class is starting to have its revenge, though, as some of the trades are making some decent cash nowadays (plumber, etc). it is probably a better career path than a sizable chunk of post-college options.
You're right. Union electricians, welders and pipe fitters make pretty good scratch.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:17 am

reasonabledoubt wrote: Many didn't prepare for the LSAT as much as those who had planned to go to law school from either undergrad or a few calculated years of work. I:)
Wouldn't be so sure about that, those people have google too. I decided I wanted to go to law school, registered for the LSAT a few days before the deadline, and found TLS on the same day. Ended up getting a 99% LSAT score.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 am

Trifles wrote:
reasonabledoubt wrote: Many didn't prepare for the LSAT as much as those who had planned to go to law school from either undergrad or a few calculated years of work. I:)
Wouldn't be so sure about that, those people have google too. I decided I wanted to go to law school, registered for the LSAT a few days before the deadline, and found TLS on the same day. Ended up getting a 99% LSAT score.
You think you're a common story? :P.

I am unsure if the quality of applicants has significantly risen, but I do believe that people are pumping out more applications per person.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

booboo wrote:
Trifles wrote:

I am unsure if the quality of applicants has significantly risen, but I do believe that people are pumping out more applications per person.
I hope this is true. If this is the case, then a handful of wait lists should yield a couple of good eventual admits for a guy with my borderline numbers.

By the way, I think your explanation might at least be partially right. When I was in college, my fraternity brothers would apply to 4 or 5 schools. I'm applying to 15+ due to fee waivers granted, and I'm sure there are many others doing the same. I'll be paying to apply to 5 schools, but the rest will be free, aside from the $12 per report of course.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:37 am

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 am

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 am

booboo wrote:
Trifles wrote:

He is at best a 1% story. That what scoring in the 99th% means. The number of October LSAT takers was up 20% this year over last year and last year was higher than the previous year. People are also putting out more apps. Cornell stated that apps are up 32% other schools have said apps are up 50%. I posted a thread about this not to long ago
Last year Law schools saw an increase in applicants. the increase was substantial 3% or 4% here, 6% or even 11% there according to these articles from last February.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
--LinkRemoved-- ... ss_than_1/

But this year we are witnessing something entirely different. Schools are reporting 35% increases, 52% increases, etc. The Oct 2009 LSAT had 20% more testtakers than last October. That means we have more applicants and applicants are applying to more schools. See these articles from this year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html
http://www.cornellsun.com/section/news/ ... 52-percent

The schools have not indicated that they plan to take in more students (as far as I can tell). Some may take a stab at increasing their median numbers and others, especially those at the top, may just maintain their numbers with a larger pool of waitlistees. In any case I fear that this is going to mean a lot of confusion on both sides of the admissions decisions. Applicants may end up on more waitlists. Schools won't know where they stand as far as increasing their medians so they will be building larger waitlist pools. Every year there are students who don't get off the waitlists until August. This year I fear that there is going to be a lot of shuffling as applicants commit at one school, stay on the waitlist at another, get accepted then commit to another school, reject the first and create chaos down the line.
Everytime I log onto a status checker I wonder if I am still going to be doing this in August.

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:51 am

MURPH wrote:
booboo wrote:
Trifles wrote:

He is at best a 1% story. That what scoring in the 99th% means. The number of October LSAT takers was up 20% this year over last year and last year was higher than the previous year. People are also putting out more apps. Cornell stated that apps are up 32% other schools have said apps are up 50%. I posted a thread about this not to long ago
Last year Law schools saw an increase in applicants. the increase was substantial 3% or 4% here, 6% or even 11% there according to these articles from last February.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
--LinkRemoved-- ... ss_than_1/

But this year we are witnessing something entirely different. Schools are reporting 35% increases, 52% increases, etc. The Oct 2009 LSAT had 20% more testtakers than last October. That means we have more applicants and applicants are applying to more schools. See these articles from this year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html
http://www.cornellsun.com/section/news/ ... 52-percent

The schools have not indicated that they plan to take in more students (as far as I can tell). Some may take a stab at increasing their median numbers and others, especially those at the top, may just maintain their numbers with a larger pool of waitlistees. In any case I fear that this is going to mean a lot of confusion on both sides of the admissions decisions. Applicants may end up on more waitlists. Schools won't know where they stand as far as increasing their medians so they will be building larger waitlist pools. Every year there are students who don't get off the waitlists until August. This year I fear that there is going to be a lot of shuffling as applicants commit at one school, stay on the waitlist at another, get accepted then commit to another school, reject the first and create chaos down the line.
Everytime I log onto a status checker I wonder if I am still going to be doing this in August.
Good insight. You're probably right on. I anticipate being on many wait lists.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”