a

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

a

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 pm

edit
Last edited by tipler4213 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tipler4213

Re: LSAT: Average vs. Best Score

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:15 pm

edit
Last edited by tipler4213 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

genev26

Postby genev26 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:18 pm

TLS has a whole article on it and a list of different schools' policies.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info. guys. I appreciate it.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:22 pm

maggiebre wrote:It seems to me that HYS are the only ones that ever average (and they sometimes even seem to take the highest score). If you want to use my cycle as an example, I have two scores (173 and 163), and I've gotten into CCN and down (of the t14, plus GW). I was held at Harvard, haven't heard back from Stanford, and didn't apply to Yale.

So if you want HYS worry about averaging, but other than that the highest score should suffice.

So schools that take the "holistic" approach or the ones that claim they average actually tend to favor the highest score?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

LSAC has asked schools to take the highest score. It's the new policy. And that's all that they have to report to USNWR too. Of course, if you have a substantial difference, they will want some sort of explanation.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I would also add that if you have two scores, you don't want to give schools a reason to use the average. If someone submits a crappy PS, for example, a school may be more inclined to look at the average (and ding/WL you).

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:34 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:LSAC has asked schools to take the highest score. It's the new policy. And that's all that they have to report to USNWR too. Of course, if you have a substantial difference, they will want some sort of explanation.

But it seems like many schools have decided to ignore LSAC's request that schools to take the highest score - While some school have changed their averaging policies, many schools still average (according to their websites at least).

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm

ntzsch wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:LSAC has asked schools to take the highest score. It's the new policy. And that's all that they have to report to USNWR too. Of course, if you have a substantial difference, they will want some sort of explanation.

But it seems like many schools have decided to ignore LSAC's request that schools to take the highest score - While some school have changed their averaging policies, many schools still average (according to their websites at least).

which schools still average?

i know that Berk says that they do. but again, outside the T6 or so, do not worry about averaging.

According to the TLS article (http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html), 13 schools still average. Also, several school take the holistic approach, which means that their websites say something like, "we will see all LSAT scores and asses them appropriately."

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 pm

From the people i've talked to at admissions offices, almost all (except harvard) will take the highest score IF the score difference is 6 points or more, and some take the highest regardless of the point differential.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 pm

tallboone wrote:From the people i've talked to at admissions offices, almost all (except harvard) will take the highest score IF the score difference is 6 points or more, and some take the highest regardless of the point differential.

Why would that matter? It seems like it would be the exact opposite.

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:
tallboone wrote:From the people i've talked to at admissions offices, almost all (except harvard) will take the highest score IF the score difference is 6 points or more, and some take the highest regardless of the point differential.

I have heard the same thing. 6 point change plus addendum will get your highest score taken. The reason 6 points is the golden number has something to do with the standard error (thats what a prelaw advisor told me, so take with a grain of salt). Im not sure if that is the exact standard error or not, just what ive heard. I think the addendum is also important (dont say 'I actually studied this time')

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:11 am

predetermined wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:According to the TLS article (http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html), 13 schools still average. Also, several school take the holistic approach, which means that their websites say something like, "we will see all LSAT scores and asses them appropriately."

Bear in mind that the TLS article is out of date, and the wording of some schools policies have changed since.

letsdoit1982 wrote:

Because it suggests the previous score was not an accurate reflection of your ability. Less than that could be attributed to luck and the imprecision of the LSAT itself.

Do you think this holds true for three LSAT scores?

quetzalcoatl

Postby quetzalcoatl » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:14 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:
predetermined wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:According to the TLS article (http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html), 13 schools still average. Also, several school take the holistic approach, which means that their websites say something like, "we will see all LSAT scores and asses them appropriately."

Bear in mind that the TLS article is out of date, and the wording of some schools policies have changed since.

letsdoit1982 wrote:

Because it suggests the previous score was not an accurate reflection of your ability. Less than that could be attributed to luck and the imprecision of the LSAT itself.

That might be pushing it. It starts to look like you are trying to get lucky when you get in the 3+ range.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:
predetermined wrote:

letsdoit1982 wrote:

I have 3 LSAT scores and it doesn't seem to have hindered me at all in my cycle. Although maybe it'll kick my butt later when the higher ranked schools are looking at my app.. Who knows?

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 am

Depends on the school:

"For reporting purposes, Georgetown adheres to the ABA policy of reporting the higher LSAT score. For evaluation purposes, the Georgetown Admissions Committee typically averages LSAT scores. Georgetown may consider the higher LSAT score if you have only taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the Admissions Committee should consider."
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions/faq.html

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”