Applying to Yale More Than Once

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dovetail

Applying to Yale More Than Once

Postby dovetail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 pm

At the top of the application form, it has you check one box if it's your first time applying, and another one if you have applied before (and it asks you to report the year in which you applied).

I'm still waiting to find something out before I know whether I will be attending law school this fall or not, so it got me thinking:

If I were to apply now, get accepted, and ultimately withdraw (assuming that I do have to defer for a year, and that they deny my appeal for deferral), would it hurt my chances for applying next year?
If I were to apply now and get rejected, would it help my chances for applying next year?

Mr. Matlock

Re: Applying to Yale More Than Once

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 pm

dovetail wrote:At the top of the application form, it has you check one box if it's your first time applying, and another one if you have applied before (and it asks you to report the year in which you applied).

I'm still waiting to find something out before I know whether I will be attending law school this fall or not, so it got me thinking:

If I were to apply now, get accepted, and ultimately withdraw (assuming that I do have to defer for a year, and that they deny my appeal for deferral), would it hurt my chances for applying next year?
If I were to apply now and get rejected, would it help my chances for applying next year?

By asking this, I'm not really sure you're Yale material.

dovetail

Postby dovetail » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
dovetail wrote:At the top of the application form, it has you check one box if it's your first time applying, and another one if you have applied before (and it asks you to report the year in which you applied).

By asking this, I'm not really sure you're Yale material.

If you mean that my having doubts about whether I will get in disqualifies me from being "Yale material," my numbers are probably good enough. Yeah, I have a little doubt, but I think I stand a fair chance at getting in.

[edit]

And I don't mean to ask if my getting rejected will help my chances; I mean to ask whether a second attempt at getting in would improve my chances, in the event of getting rejected the first time. That is to say, would it look like a show of determination/commitment?
Last edited by dovetail on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dovetail

Postby dovetail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Anybody?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 pm

This is a complete guess--but I would imagine that having been rejected once will decrease your chances of getting in the next time, if it changes it at all. With the faculty review process, I'd assume that your app will get three fresh pairs of eyes judging it--so each submission is basically an independent crapshoot.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm

lawyering wrote:With the faculty review process, I'd assume that your app will get three fresh pairs of eyes judging it--so each submission is basically an independent crapshoot.

This is actually I question that I have. I can imagine my application getting 'rejected' simply because on law professor didn't like the theoretical orientation of my publications but that a different set of eyes might come to an entirely different conclusion. If Yale really does have 3 different professors read re-applications I'd love to know that fact.

dovetail

Postby dovetail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 pm

drsomebody wrote:
lawyering wrote:With the faculty review process, I'd assume that your app will get three fresh pairs of eyes judging it--so each submission is basically an independent crapshoot.

This is actually I question that I have. I can imagine my application getting 'rejected' simply because on law professor didn't like the theoretical orientation of my publications but that a different set of eyes might come to an entirely different conclusion. If Yale really does have 3 different professors read re-applications I'd love to know that fact.

From Yale's website:

"The Review Process

Each application file is first reviewed by the Dean of Admissions. The strongest files are then considered by at least three faculty file readers. Faculty rate files based on their own criteria, and the relative weight to be given to various factors is within each file reader's discretion. On the basis of the faculty ratings, we admit candidates and establish a waiting list."

and from the TLS description of Yale:

"Applications selected for faculty review are read by three randomly chosen faculty members, who score each application on a scale from 2 to 4. Each of the three readers is “blind” to the assessment scores assigned by his or her peers, and faculty members are not given any specific instructions as to how to weigh specific aspects of an application – they are given free reign to consider whatever factors they think will build an interesting class of students. Each of the first two faculty readers receives approximately 50 applications, and it has been reported that faculty are given instructions to assign a 4 to the top quarter, 3 to the second quarter, and 2 to the bottom half. [If two faculty members give consecutive 2s, an applicant is rejected; the remaining files go on to a third member of the faculty, who scores 2-4 equally.] A cumulative score of 12 is guaranteed admission, and most who score an 11 are admitted as well. A number of current students report having had an awkward moment or two when a professor has matched their application to a “real” name and face that roams the hallways!"

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 pm

dovetail wrote:
drsomebody wrote:

From Yale's website:

"The Review Process

Each application file is first reviewed by the Dean of Admissions. The strongest files are then considered by at least three faculty file readers. Faculty rate files based on their own criteria, and the relative weight to be given to various factors is within each file reader's discretion. On the basis of the faculty ratings, we admit candidates and establish a waiting list."

and from the TLS description of Yale:

"Applications selected for faculty review are read by three randomly chosen faculty members, who score each application on a scale from 2 to 4. Each of the three readers is “blind” to the assessment scores assigned by his or her peers, and faculty members are not given any specific instructions as to how to weigh specific aspects of an application – they are given free reign to consider whatever factors they think will build an interesting class of students. Each of the first two faculty readers receives approximately 50 applications, and it has been reported that faculty are given instructions to assign a 4 to the top quarter, 3 to the second quarter, and 2 to the bottom half. [If two faculty members give consecutive 2s, an applicant is rejected; the remaining files go on to a third member of the faculty, who scores 2-4 equally.] A cumulative score of 12 is guaranteed admission, and most who score an 11 are admitted as well. A number of current students report having had an awkward moment or two when a professor has matched their application to a “real” name and face that roams the hallways!"

Yeah, but this doesn't tell me if the "random" assignment is reset upon reapplication or if the same 3 readers are given the application in future years. I suspect that they're "randomly" reassigned to different profs but I'd love it if somebody confirm or deny this.

[I'm not a member of an admissions committee. Heck, I'm not even in law school yet. Everything I write should be taken with a huge grain of salt]

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm

dovetail wrote: I mean to ask whether a second attempt at getting in would improve my chances, in the event of getting rejected the first time.

Yes. Once you've been rejected the first time your chances of being accepted without making a second attempt are very low.

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
dovetail wrote: I mean to ask whether a second attempt at getting in would improve my chances, in the event of getting rejected the first time.

Yes. Once you've been rejected the first time your chances of being accepted without making a second attempt are very low.

:lol:

dovetail

Postby dovetail » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Chichaca wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

I see what you did there.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:04 am

dovetail wrote:
Chichaca wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

I see what you did there.

I read it... sat for a second, read it again, and laughed uncontrollably. 4am does strange things to a man.

lawman335

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:29 am

If u r applying more than once u need to mention that in your application , even if u dont indicate them about this ,they will be still be able to find out that u r applying more than once.......so better be honest

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”