Jan/Feb App Purgatory (2010 Edition)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
booboo

Re: Jan/Feb App Purgatory (2010 Edition)

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Cakes29k wrote:Just got an e-mail from GW (first response from them since I applied on 1/19) saying my Law School app is complete and "is in our review process." Does that mean it is already under review? How long do I have to wait to hear?

February is going to be a loooong month...

Ironically, the shortest month of the year. :P.

cpboy77

Postby cpboy77 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Amen to that.

bjf

Postby bjf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I belong here. :)

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 pm

Cakes29k wrote:Just got an e-mail from GW (first response from them since I applied on 1/19) saying my Law School app is complete and "is in our review process." Does that mean it is already under review? How long do I have to wait to hear?

I just got this, too, and I applied to GW about Jan. 31. I'm wondering if that completion email was automated and went out to everyone in the January(or something) batch simultaneously.

I asked the same question in the GW thread of the admit/reject/waitlist section, since people were talking about it there.

big_blue79

Postby big_blue79 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:09 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Yeah, I'm worried about the Deposit deadlines too. They should all be on the same date - otherwise it's unfair for students.

I'm quite sure that a few of my reaches won't be back to me before April 1, but hopefully they will be by April 1.

Applied to schools between 1/13 and 1/31, with most around 1/21-1/22.

I'm in your boat... and it feels like the one from your 'tar.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 pm

Well, I made the deadline for the Feb 1 schools that I'd like to attend. Am taking the LSAT again on Saturday. Long story, but that will pretty much determine my fate. Feel much better about where I am though, so.... here we go!

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm

-
Last edited by knickfan on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm so far behind it's not even funny. Thought I was finally down to where it was all out of my hands when I went "app received" on 1/15. Until I realized shortly afterward that I forgot to include one school in the lsac transcripts. What a pain! Had to call lsac and get them to add the school, call the school and get an official transcript on the way... and worst of all, call the admissions office where I had just applied and tell them that I am a bonehead and they should be expecting an updated lsac report because I forgot to include a transcript.

And of course... my file sits there gathering dust while the wheels of the lsac machine slowly turn to get the transcript added.

Who knew two classes from ten years ago could be such a pain? And the worst part is, I can't even really complain about how long it is taking, because it's my own fault that it is so late.

/pull hair

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 pm

big_blue79 wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:Yeah, I'm worried about the Deposit deadlines too. They should all be on the same date - otherwise it's unfair for students.

I'm quite sure that a few of my reaches won't be back to me before April 1, but hopefully they will be by April 1.

Applied to schools between 1/13 and 1/31, with most around 1/21-1/22.

I'm in your boat... and it feels like the one from your 'tar.

Count me on this as well. Submitted most of my apps in the final week of January. I've started to tell myself that if given the "opportunity" it would be kinda nice to kick back and travel for a year. I'm just worried that I might end up deciding to go to a school further down my list only because of the timing of my applications.

Oe.Maas

Postby Oe.Maas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

I was looking at T6 schools on LSN and was surprised at how late applicants seemed to end up doing fine after all.

I guess I was expecting a lot worse from being around here in September when everyone was freaking out.

You see the odd profile now and then that seemed to have gotten shut out everywhere, but for the most part results "were as expected".

I went complete at Columbia very late in January.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Good luck!!!

-Jan 28, 2009 applicant

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 am

Three four two eight four eight three eight six two seven eight, this is a great idea for a thread.

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:23 am

BlankC wrote:

I just got this, too, and I applied to GW about Jan. 31. I'm wondering if that completion email was automated and went out to everyone in the January(or something) batch simultaneously.

I asked the same question in the GW thread of the admit/reject/waitlist section, since people were talking about it there.

What the hey nelly- I applied earlier than that (in Jan still) and haven't gotten the complete email yet. Should I call?

More related to this thread, I feel like I can't complain that much since so many of my apps weren't done until around xmas- a ton of people are still waiting from way before then.

That said, let's complain.

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 am

roundabout wrote:
BlankC wrote:I just got this, too, and I applied to GW about Jan. 31. I'm wondering if that completion email was automated and went out to everyone in the January(or something) batch simultaneously.

What the hey nelly- I applied earlier than that (in Jan still) and haven't gotten the complete email yet. Should I call?

I would call. It seems weird that mine and someone else's would get instant-moved when earlier people are still stuck. I never got a status checker, either, so it's possible that they completed yours and just forgot to email you or something.

"Your application for admission to the fall 2010 entering class of The George Washington University Law School is complete and is in our review process.  We will be in touch as soon as we have a decision for you. Thank you for your interest in GW Law and for your patience throughout our admissions process."
^ The whole of the email I received minus (My Name), and Dean's sig.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 am

Applied in Oct to most schools, early Dec for others... still nothing but a WL from Georgetown. I belong in this purgatory...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Well, I made the deadline for the Feb 1 schools that I'd like to attend. Am taking the LSAT again on Saturday. Long story, but that will pretty much determine my fate. Feel much better about where I am though, so.... here we go!

Me too. Good luck this weekend!

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm

I applied to most schools in October and November, but because of my December LSAT score it's taking forever to hear back. I applied to a couple more after receiving my score, so I'm in this for the long haul like the rest of you... good luck everyone!

Cakes29k

Postby Cakes29k » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 pm

BlankC wrote:
roundabout wrote:
BlankC wrote:I just got this, too, and I applied to GW about Jan. 31. I'm wondering if that completion email was automated and went out to everyone in the January(or something) batch simultaneously.

I would call. It seems weird that mine and someone else's would get instant-moved when earlier people are still stuck. I never got a status checker, either, so it's possible that they completed yours and just forgot to email you or something.

"Your application for admission to the fall 2010 entering class of The George Washington University Law School is complete and is in our review process.  We will be in touch as soon as we have a decision for you. Thank you for your interest in GW Law and for your patience throughout our admissions process."
^ The whole of the email I received minus (My Name), and Dean's sig.

Yep, same as mine. My girlfriend applied to GW earlier than me in January (around the 5th I think) and she said she got the same e-mail on January 21st. Looks like it takes about 2 weeks to get the e-mail from GW.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Ah. This is my home. [Cue rising blood pressure]

By the end of October I'd applied to 16 schools. Within a couple weeks, I was "under review" at several and complete at all. Then I requested hold pending December LSAT retake, which I decided to do at the last minute. Went complete again everywhere between late Dec.-mid Jan.

Since then, I've picked up 4 low-tier acceptances, 2 WLs and one "held for further review." Boalt, a no-shot which likely was two days away from rejecting me in November, has had me "under review" since Jan. 11. There's really no need for the delay when the rejection is so certain. And it's not just the schools at which I'm "unqualified" (e.g., Vandy, Emory): I've been complete at Lewis&Clark since Jan. 6, and I'm auto-admit there.

Meanwhile, April 1 deposit deadline looms for those 4 acceptances I do have. If I wasn't nearly bald already, I'd be losing my hair.

Worst part: The December re-take only bumped me a useless point. I would've known pretty much all my schools by now had I not retaken. This murders me with blunt objects.

Silver lining (at the risk of jinxing it): No outright rejections yet.

Postby 342848386278 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Complete at UCLA 02/03 (sent 01/16)
&&& Under Review at Berkeley 02/03 (sent 01/27) !!!

Incredibly exciting, but infinitely stressful as well. Fingers crossed so hard it hurts...

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 pm

I need status checker rehab. Can't stop checking...!!

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:Went complete last week and now I dont know what to do with myself

I went to South America. Its working for me so far.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 am

I applied to 26 schools (no that was not a typo) between 1/23 and 1/25. I am complete at most. I have been a nervous nellie since I submitted and I dunno if i can take another week, let alone another two months. I have nothing but the deepest empathy for all you october applicants who are still under review!!!

:shock: :( :roll: :?
Last edited by phoenix323 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:36 am

342848386278 wrote:Complete at UCLA 02/03 (sent 01/16)
&&& Under Review at Berkeley 02/03 (sent 01/27) !!!

Incredibly exciting, but infinitely stressful as well. Fingers crossed so hard it hurts...

Under review at Berkeley means nothing. They put you "under review" immediately, but they're not actually looking at your application. People stay under review for months.

cendien

Postby cendien » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 am

Oooh can I join? Applied to 18 school on 1/19 and added Michigan (looooong shot) on 1/29.

So far, accepted at UGA and WUSTL.

I anxiously check the mail every day, and am disappointed every day when I have to throw away more crap from Cooley, et al. Thank god for push e-mail and vibration notifications on my cell.. At least I can get those anywhere.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”