Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thesealocust

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:35 am

rad law wrote:I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.

Me too. I feel like going ED would give me a fairly decent shot. I absolutely love the school after I saw it, but I simply couldn't do it at sticker price, so I'm afraid to switch to ED.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 am

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 am

dakatz wrote:
rad law wrote:I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.

Me too. I feel like going ED would give me a fairly decent shot. I absolutely love the school after I saw it, but I simply couldn't do it at sticker price, so I'm afraid to switch to ED.

Sure you could! Stafford and GradPLUS loans and IBR after you graduate! The days of being unable to afford law school are over!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 am

Cupidity wrote:

Not to be a weird stalker, what T-20 Private UG is in FL?

He's probably a FL resident who goes to an out-of-state private.

Cupidity, I would think your chances at Berk are >>>>5%. That said, this is not a bad idea at all.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:44 am

Cupidity wrote:

There are no T-20 privates in FL. I don't actually go to school in FL. It's where I'm from though.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:46 am

rad law wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

There are no T-20 privates in FL. I don't actually go to school in FL. It's where I'm from though.

Alright, kinda what I figured. UMiami ranks top 10 for a few programs, and everyone at rollins thinks they are on par with HYS, figured i'm make sure i didn't need to give someone a reality check :P

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:49 am

Kohinoor wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Sure you could! Stafford and GradPLUS loans and IBR after you graduate! The days of being unable to afford law school are over!

Its not that I wouldn't be able to, its just that the idea of debt is very scary to me. When I told people that I would be about 150K or more in debt, they said I was crazy. And thats coming from T-14 educated lawyers, some who went to school on scholarship, and some who paid full price through loans. I've always been a very risk-averse person, and it seems like too big a gamble. Perhaps I need to read more into this IBR program that people mention so often on here, because I can't say I know too much about it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 am

Cupidity wrote:
rad law wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

Alright, kinda what I figured. UMiami ranks top 10 for a few programs, and everyone at rollins thinks they are on par with HYS, figured i'm make sure i didn't need to give someone a reality check :P

Rollins is a magical place though. Beautiful, rich women who love to party all the time and have the money to do it. So much money floating around. My buddy's fraternity there went to Jamaica for their formal.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am

dakatz wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Its not that I wouldn't be able to, its just that the idea of debt is very scary to me. When I told people that I would be about 150K or more in debt, they said I was crazy. And thats coming from T-14 educated lawyers, some who went to school on scholarship, and some who paid full price through loans. I've always been a very risk-averse person, and it seems like too big a gamble. Perhaps I need to read more into this IBR program that people mention so often on here, because I can't say I know too much about it.

It basically caps your loan payments so that you can live like a financially responsible person.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 am

dakatz wrote:Its not that I wouldn't be able to, its just that the idea of debt is very scary to me. When I told people that I would be about 150K or more in debt, they said I was crazy. And thats coming from T-14 educated lawyers, some who went to school on scholarship, and some who paid full price through loans. I've always been a very risk-averse person, and it seems like too big a gamble. Perhaps I need to read more into this IBR program that people mention so often on here, because I can't say I know too much about it.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/ ... BRPlan.jsp

You could end up paying like 10% of your adjusted gross on loans, which may or may not be okay with you.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:31 am

Nothing to add... just wanted to wish you luck with your ED! We're rooting for you!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 am

Thought I'd bump Cupidity's thread since tomorrow is the last possible day to switch to ED. (...I wonder if they'd take a fax on Monday.)

Anyone else feeling the pressure to switch? I toyed with the idea earlier this year but decided to wait and see how my cycle played out. And even though I'm [strike]happy[/strike] satisfied with the way it has gone, I know the part of me that led me to TLS will always wonder how things would be different if I had done everything in my power to make T14. Of course, UVA might not even accept me and then I'd feel all :oops: :cry: :evil: -like for ever considering it as if it was my decision to make.

166/3.91. I'm the quintessential ED candidate. Here are my other offers: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/badwithpseudonyms

Two caveats: My primary concern is the debt. I've got $50k in ug debt and my fiancee has $50k of her own. Taking on another $150k scares the shit out of me, and (justifiably or not) I feel as if I will be handcuffed to only high paying biglaw work. I may want to go that route anyway, but I hate the idea of not having any other option. My second concern is that my fiancee will not be able to find work in Charlottesville. She knows that depending on where I go she may or may not be able to start a "career" and she's okay with that. But she doesn't want to sling burgers at McDonalds either.

So what do you think? :oops:

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:59 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Thought I'd bump Cupidity's thread since tomorrow is the last possible day to switch to ED. (...I wonder if they'd take a fax on Monday.)

Anyone else feeling the pressure to switch? I toyed with the idea earlier this year but decided to wait and see how my cycle played out. And even though I'm [strike]happy[/strike] satisfied with the way it has gone, I know the part of me that led me to TLS will always wonder how things would be different if I had done everything in my power to make T14. Of course, UVA might not even accept me and then I'd feel all :oops: :cry: :evil: -like for ever considering it as if it was my decision to make.

166/3.91. I'm the quintessential ED candidate. Here are my other offers: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/badwithpseudonyms

Two caveats: My primary concern is the debt. I've got $50k in ug debt and my fiancee has $50k of her own. Taking on another $150k scares the shit out of me, and (justifiably or not) I feel as if I will be handcuffed to only high paying biglaw work. I may want to go that route anyway, but I hate the idea of not having any other option. My second concern is that my fiancee will not be able to find work in Charlottesville. She knows that depending on where I go she may or may not be able to start a "career" and she's okay with that. But she doesn't want to sling burgers at McDonalds either.

I really have no idea what to tell you. I think UVA ED was easily the right call for me, but we are in different situations. I'm guessing the IU-B full tuition offer is what you probably are weighing it against, right? If you haven't already, you probably need to check into how IBR affects married couples that both have student loan debt. Right now you get effed by having your income combined for payment calculation, but that is supposed to change.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 am

Got wld off ed 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder. ...

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:34 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Thought I'd bump Cupidity's thread since tomorrow is the last possible day to switch to ED. (...I wonder if they'd take a fax on Monday.)

FWIW, last year, 3.85+/166-169 LSN applicants were about 50/50 for RD, but nearly a lock for ED.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:04 am

Cupidity wrote:Got wld off ed 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder. ...

It's always fun to read these follow-up posts. I hadn't seen this thread before, so it's like reading a story and wondering how it will end. At the beginning I thought Cupidity has probably been accepted to UVA by now, and he's probably preaching the gospel of ED just like vanwinkle and the others.

But nope -- WL for Cupidity. Boo to unhappy endings. Hopefully the thread will have a happy twist in the next month or so.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 am

I am knocking around the idea of faxing in my ED paper on Monday. I am already on the waitlist form my RD application at UVA. My numbers are 175 and 2.98. I am also a veteran so I will get the GI Bill $, which comes to about 12K per year by my calculations. They also give 5 yellow ribbon scholarships out to vets on a first come first serve basis. The Yellow Ribbon money covers full tuition. Theoretically I could reapply ED and go to school for free still.

I am going to call on Monday to see if I can find out more about their Yellow Ribbon program. They gave out 5 scholarships this year but that could change year to year. If they only had five or less veterans at the school that would be great but I suspect that a military friendly state like Virginia has more than 5 veterans, but I don't know.

I have not heard from Stanford or Chicago yet. If offered I would choose either over Virginia but since there is no news and a pending deadline at Virginia I feel under some pressure to pull the trigger and go ED. I got into a few T15-30 schools, some with $$ so it isn't like I'll be stuck at some TTT if I don't get into UVA. I am also waiting to hear from Penn, NYU, Duke, Cornell and Northwestern.

Any suggestions or advice?

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:26 am

MURPH wrote:I am knocking around the idea of faxing in my ED paper on Monday. I am already on the waitlist form my RD application at UVA. My numbers are 175 and 2.98. I am also a veteran so I will get the GI Bill $, which comes to about 12K per year by my calculations. They also give 5 yellow ribbon scholarships out to vets on a first come first serve basis. The Yellow Ribbon money covers full tuition. Theoretically I could reapply ED and go to school for free still.

I am going to call on Monday to see if I can find out more about their Yellow Ribbon program. They gave out 5 scholarships this year but that could change year to year. If they only had five or less veterans at the school that would be great but I suspect that a military friendly state like Virginia has more than 5 veterans, but I don't know.

I have not heard from Stanford or Chicago yet. If offered I would choose either over Virginia but since there is no news and a pending deadline at Virginia I feel under some pressure to pull the trigger and go ED. I got into a few T15-30 schools, some with $$ so it isn't like I'll be stuck at some TTT if I don't get into UVA. I am also waiting to hear from Penn, NYU, Duke, Cornell and Northwestern.

I would ED (assuming it's possible to do after a WL). I don't like your odds at Stanford or U-Chi, and unless you'd really prefer one of the other schools over UVA, I'd pull the trigger. Also, I'm pulling this out of my arse but I would think that DC might value military experience more than other markets, so that might be something to look into and consider.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:06 am

MURPH wrote:I am knocking around the idea of faxing in my ED paper on Monday. I am already on the waitlist form my RD application at UVA. My numbers are 175 and 2.98. I am also a veteran so I will get the GI Bill $, which comes to about 12K per year by my calculations. They also give 5 yellow ribbon scholarships out to vets on a first come first serve basis. The Yellow Ribbon money covers full tuition. Theoretically I could reapply ED and go to school for free still.

Were you considering this before the deadline approached? If not, you probably had your reasons. I wouldn't let the fact that the deadline has arrived impact your decision. It's easy to be swayed by the thought, "but it's too late after today." But that's just stress and anxiety talking; its no reason to all of a sudden change your plans.

All this means nothing though, if you've been considering doing this for a while (but it sounds to me like you would have investigated the yellow ribbon information sooner if you had been).

Iuvo

Postby Iuvo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With you, OP, it had been all three.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Iuvo wrote:Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With you, OP, it had been all three.

ouch...

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Geist13 wrote:Were you considering this before the deadline approached? If not, you probably had your reasons. I wouldn't let the fact that the deadline has arrived impact your decision. It's easy to be swayed by the thought, "but it's too late after today." But that's just stress and anxiety talking; its no reason to all of a sudden change your plans.

All this means nothing though, if you've been considering doing this for a while (but it sounds to me like you would have investigated the yellow ribbon information sooner if you had been).

The string of dings from Yale, Harvard, Columbia and Michigan has me considering a smaller number of options. It has also increased my pessimism about Stanford and Chicago. As far as the yellow ribbon information I heard that some schools (not Virginia in particular) are telling students that they are going to increase the number of scholarships available but that the VA doesn't require them to release the final numbers until late in the summer.

But your right it might just be stress and anxiety speaking. I shouldn't be too stressed. In the worst case I will get rejected form all the T14 and go to a T15-30 school. Only on TLS would that be considered something to worry about.

Lurkster

Postby Lurkster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

MURPH -- I don't know how good your chances are at UVA without ED. I know your softs are better than mine, but my GPA/LSAT are both slightly higher, and I just got dinged via RD earlier this week. Then again, maybe they just thought I was a jerk.

Of the schools in the t14 that you are waiting on, given the way this cycle is shaping up, I'd say that Northwestern is the only one where you have a decent to good chance. If I were you, I'd probably think hard about how you feel about UVA relative to NW.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Stringer and blue, I appreciate your input.

To finish my story:
    I woke up Saturday morning, ran to the post office, and overnighted an ED application.
    I spent the rest of the weekend crunching the numbers, considering the job prospects, and, in general, fretting about the huge amount of debt I would incur if admitted.
    I went to the gym this morning and decided against calling the Admissions Office and withdrawing all together. To be clear, I've had a crush on UVA since I first looked into the school. It is only the debt I was feeling ambivalent about. But when I began this whole process I told myself it was T14 or bust. And I knew that if I didn't do everything to reach my goal, I'd always feel like I let myself off easy.

I can't decide if UVA is the safe bet or the risk. It feels like the risk ITE. But either way, at 12:10pm this afternoon I became a member of UVA's Class of 2013! :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”