Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:06 pm

So, I went back and forth on this for a while, whether or not to lock myself in at UVA, because it is my best shot at the T-14, and I really do like the school.

My stats are 166/3.87, 3 Solid LOR's and good soft factors.

I originally applied on 11/11, and I am still only "Complete/Pending Decision", UVA extended their ED deadline, so I'm thinking about switching tommorow. Has anyone done this, gone RD-->ED? I'm going to call the admissions office to notify them that I'm submitting the binding decision form, and depending on the conversation, possibly sending a follow up email to make sure they don't review my file first.

Also, what do you think my odds are? Sure, I applied early, but I'm switching to ED very late in the game, does that throw off my chances?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 pm

With that GPA and your softs you have a shot if you ED. I think you're pretty weak RD honestly.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:10 pm

OP, what has been holding you back, Berkeley?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

I didn't ED because I wanted to try for Cornell, or $$ from BU, BC. I got no $ at BU in initial mailer, and I got WL at BC, I'm fairly certain it was YP because everyone who had the same decision date as me had stats that were equal or better. Still no word from Cornell, but I figure that is 50/50. ED at UVA, I hope, will get me up to at least 50/50. Berkeley has always been a dream, and GLBT should help me out there in Cali, but I've always known Berkeley is a 5% shot at best.

Rawlsian
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Rawlsian » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

I say go for it: there doesn't seem to be much of a trade-off if you ed.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Rawlsian wrote:I say go for it: there doesn't seem to be much of a trade-off if you ed.


Yeah, I throw Cornell out the window, and possibly pass up a chance at $$ from BU later or a school like Fordham, but I think I'm OK with that. Should I send them an email now to notify them, then call and mail tommorow, or will the call/mail be sufficient.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

thesealocust wrote:WTF are you waiting for? Your numbers SCREAM at you to ED to UVA. You will not get into a better school. You are exactly - EXACTLY - at the point where that ED contract can lever you into a top 10 program. Fucking do it.

+1

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Email now, mail it tomorrow. I did the same thing you're planning to, did not have to call. You should do it ASAP, they could make a decision on your app at any second.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:22 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm

edit: never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby sumus romani » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm

I have been under consideration at UVA since November. When did they change their ED deadline? Given that I haven't moved/been rejected, does this mean that they will hold my application till after March 1st? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm a splitter and it seems a lot of schools are taking their time with me.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm

thesealocust wrote:Have you done it yet? If you haven't you should. Don't make me start PMing you.


I'm making sure it's well worded, lol. I'll probably post it here for scrutiny before I do.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Cupidity wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Have you done it yet? If you haven't you should. Don't make me start PMing you.


I'm making sure it's well worded, lol. I'll probably post it here for scrutiny before I do.


Seriously? I don't think they care. Mine was like two sentences.


User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:29 pm

thesealocust wrote:Have you done it yet? If you haven't you should. Don't make me start PMing you.

We're now one step away from resorting to physical violence to "encourage" ED applications. What's next, "Do it now or I break your kneecaps?"

ctn8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby ctn8 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:So, I went back and forth on this for a while, whether or not to lock myself in at UVA, because it is my best shot at the T-14, and I really do like the school.

My stats are 166/3.87, 3 Solid LOR's and good soft factors.

I originally applied on 11/11, and I am still only "Complete/Pending Decision", UVA extended their ED deadline, so I'm thinking about switching tommorow. Has anyone done this, gone RD-->ED? I'm going to call the admissions office to notify them that I'm submitting the binding decision form, and depending on the conversation, possibly sending a follow up email to make sure they don't review my file first.

Also, what do you think my odds are? Sure, I applied early, but I'm switching to ED very late in the game, does that throw off my chances?



I was in the exact same situation a few weeks back as you are now (initially a RD applicant, essentially the same numbers) when I sent in my ED form. I was waitlisted about 10 days later. Not really surprising considering that's what TLS Stats have been predicting; people in our range have almost exclusively been put on the waitlist. I still think it's worth a shot for you, though, considering what you say are strong softs.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby missvik218 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:31 pm

GOOD LUCK!!! I say go for it! :mrgreen:

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby pollaclc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:33 pm

when's the new deadline?

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 pm

pollaclc wrote:when's the new deadline?


When apps are due. March 1st I believe.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby showNprove » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:35 pm

I wouldn't e-mail it now--no one's in the office anyway. I would fill out the contract and have it ready to go, then call Jason Dugas tomorrow and alert him directly. Adding any personal touch you can to your application will help you, even ED. When you call, be excited and express your sincere interest. Make sure he gets your name, and he will make a note to look for it.

Good luck.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

showNprove wrote:I wouldn't e-mail it now--no one's in the office anyway. I would fill out the contract and have it ready to go, then call Jason Dugas tomorrow and alert him directly. Adding any personal touch you can to your application will help you, even ED. When you call, be excited and express your sincere interest. Make sure he gets your name, and he will make a note to look for it.

Good luck.


Call who? Lol. Instead, can you burst into his office dramatically and tell him, old-school telegram style?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm

..

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:26 am

I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Switch to ED at UVA tommorow? Advice/Chances?

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 am

rad law wrote:I am in sort of the same boat. 168/3.75 WL. I love UVA, but I'm not sure I can commit to the debt.


Not to be a weird stalker, what T-20 Private UG is in FL?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: onecallthats all and 4 guests