Early Decision: UVA vs GULC

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grad09

Early Decision: UVA vs GULC

Postby Grad09 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Just wanted some opinions on which you guys would apply to if you had lower numbers and looking to get into the T14.

Quick question: What happens if you apply ED to both at the same time? If you get accepted at don't enroll, what happens?

Thanks TLS

vanwinkle

Re: Early Decision: UVA vs GULC

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Grad09 wrote:Just wanted some opinions on which you guys would apply to if you had lower numbers and looking to get into the T14.

Quick question: What happens if you apply ED to both at the same time? If you get accepted at don't enroll, what happens?

Thanks TLS

The terms of each state that you're not allowed to apply binding ED to any other school at the same time. If one finds out about the other you're basically screwed because both will reject and blackball you. Oh, and they'll tell other top schools about what you did, too.

That said...

I'm a 1L at UVA and I love it here. Smaller incoming class size, lower COL, and better national name recognition and placement. If your numbers support it I strongly advocate shooting for UVA. It's actually the best school in the DC market.

One thing to keep in mind is that more people want in the DC market than there are available jobs, so even though schools like UVA and GULC are local, you're still also competing with HYSCCN kids that want to work in DC when they graduate. This is another advantage of UVA, since it's an incredibly flexible degree and places people nationally. GULC will too, but I don't think quite as well.

GULC has better prestige but UVA is the better law school and people in the legal profession know it. Plus it's a great place to live for 3 years. I'm sure others will chime in and disagree with me, but that's my take.

slt

Postby slt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

If you did ED to one of them and were released from the binding contract (i.e. waitlisted, rejected, etc), can you go ahead and do ED to the other school?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 pm

slt wrote:If you did ED to one of them and were released from the binding contract (i.e. waitlisted, rejected, etc), can you go ahead and do ED to the other school?

Yes, once waitlisted or rejected, you are free to do as you wish at other schools.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:16 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
slt wrote:If you did ED to one of them and were released from the binding contract (i.e. waitlisted, rejected, etc), can you go ahead and do ED to the other school?

Yes, once waitlisted or rejected, you are free to do as you wish at other schools.

TITCR. You can only have one ED contract at a time in play. WL/rejection ends your ED obligation and you can ED elsewhere.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 pm

ED at UVA will cost you less than ED at GULC in the end because of the massive difference in COL (and probably give you better employment options)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”