Late Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vikspeed

Late Applications

Postby vikspeed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:17 am

So I did not determine that law school was for me until early January, and I have been working on the LSAC uploads and personal statements/essays this entire month (of January). Since I am so late in the application process, I was looking for feedback from others regarding my admission possibilities at some of the top 30 schools--and particularly the t-14. I plan on applying to Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and UC Irvine for sure. I graduated with a 4.0 and as most outstanding student for theology department from Oral Roberts. I also scored a 163 while working full time. I am looking at public interest/service law and am especially interested in good clinical programs. I worked as a financial representative for a short period and am still licensed with FINRA. I decided to focus more on the service industry and less on sales. I had been thinking about getting an MBA beforehand. I know I will have good LOR's, but I am still waiting on the last required one to finally upload to LSAC (waiting on 2 in total; have 1). Should I go ahead and apply before the deadline of, say, UCLA and then attach the other doc's once they are uploaded (i.e. purchase the report, etc.)? Anyway, what I've been debating on is applying to say, UC Berkeley, Michigan, Penn, or Stanford. I really prefer a smaller law school (hence, no Georgetown or Virginia; though Michigan is a fairly good size). Other lower ranked schools I was looking at include: Alabama, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Boston, Arizona, and Wake Forest. (Note: I have been looking at LRAP's, as well.)

Finally, I also have specific interests in sports and the relationship between law and business (e.g. community development; I was actually accepted into Maryland's MRED program last year but decided to wait). Pertaining to sports, I would consider becoming an athletic director down the road.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

amputatedbrain

Re: Late Applications

Postby amputatedbrain » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am

Can't tell you too much about your specific school choices, although for many (most?) schools the application deadline is Monday. For some schools with rolling admissions that will already be a major disadvantage. Your numbers are a bit of a stretch at the T14 under the best circumstances, but this late in the game only makes it more difficult. I remember seeing a LSN profile of someone with excellent numbers (175ish/36ish I think) who got shut out because he applied on the deadlines. Go ahead and fire them off, you've got nothing to lose, but I wouldn't be surprised if you only got into the lower-ranked schools you apply too.

vikspeed

Postby vikspeed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:36 am

Also, I just read about LSAC reports. Do they have to have the LSAC report by the deadline in order for me to meet the application deadline? Or do I just have to have everything submitted and paid electronically (aka "postmarked") by the deadline? If it takes 2 weeks for schools to receive the LSAC report, that's ridiculous. Help??? A lot of schools have Feb 15 deadlines.

LessThanLiz

Postby LessThanLiz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:20 am

EDIT: Ha, nevermind. Completely missed the post above me.

vikspeed

Postby vikspeed » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 pm

So, the main application form is all that has to be submitted by the deadline? LOR's and any other supplemental forms can get there when they get there, right?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Applications are way up this year already. With a 4.0 and 163 you are a reach for a lot of top schools but with a 4.0 and 167 or 168 or 170 you could make a really good shot at next cycle. Study harder and retake the LSAT. Get your applications in the first day that they accept applications and you will be in really good shape this time next year. You'll have seven months to work on your PS's for each school and time to save a little money/pay back loans. Applying last minute because you decided in January that you want to be a lawyer doesn't seem like the best strategy to me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”