is it really all about #s?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gabewatch

Bronze

is it really all about #s?

Postby gabewatch » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:42 am

at first i thought it was all about numbers but then i got accepted to W&L with 17,000/year, and waitlisted at cincinatti and put on hold at cardozo. so maybe they actually read the apps and decide if they like you or not?

gwuorbust

Gold

Re: is it really all about #s?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:57 pm

perhaps an error in your apps?

I think the general consensus is that, yes it is all about numbers.

so far my cycle is playing our to the tee in terms of numbers.

UFMatt

Bronze

Postby UFMatt » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 pm

My cycle is going precisely according to numbers despite having a killer soft.

bighead715

Bronze

Postby bighead715 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:10 pm

dude nothing is rock solid - generally schools i would imagine would stick to numbers to hit their medians and try to game the rankings. however, i can also see schools taking a certain amount of lower number candidates that they really like.

anything is possible, nothing is 100%, and it is absolutely worthless to speculate.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Postby PhantaManta » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, is W&L a surprising acceptance or are the other ones surprising denials?

Because you can get shocking denials. You just have to like, fuck up something in your app bad enough or commit a felony.

acdisagod

Bronze

Postby acdisagod » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Im all #'s no softs (basically) so I'll let you know how my cycle goes

Chromakey

New

Postby Chromakey » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:26 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Well, is W&L a surprising acceptance or are the other ones surprising denials?

Because you can get shocking denials. You just have to like, fuck up something in your app bad enough or commit a felony.

[strike]Without knowing your numbers its hard to speculate[/strike], but if you're on the high end for numbers at W&L, you could have been YP'd by the other schools. Also if you are a splitter, absolutely nothing is guaranteed. I think that's when WE and other softs come into play big time.

EDIT: My bad, looked at the wrong profile when looking for your numbers.
Last edited by Chromakey on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:35 pm

gabewatch wrote:at first i thought it was all about numbers but then i got accepted to W&L with 17,000/year, and waitlisted at cincinatti and put on hold at cardozo. so maybe they actually read the apps and decide if they like you or not?

It is 90% about numbers at most schools, but different schools weigh the numbers differently. You're a splitter. I was a stronger splitter (3.0/170), got into a T14 school and got held-then-WL'd at Cardozo. I also got offered a full ride at WUSTL, offered $$ at BC, WL'd at BU and UCLA, and rejected outright at Texas.

Are all of these things inconsistent? No, they just reflect which school value GPA more or have a GPA floor, and which schools value a really high LSAT. I didn't apply to W&L, but I'd guess based on your results that they're in the latter category, too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�