GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
salmanelli
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby salmanelli » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 am

GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:20 am

It's possible, there are schools out there that might take you. However, you shouldn't pay to go to any of them, unless your name is Brewster and you're required to get rid of a ton of money as fast as possible with no expected return.

jafadoo
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby jafadoo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:30 am

Yes.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby MoS » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:35 am

vanwinkle wrote:It's possible, there are schools out there that might take you. However, you shouldn't pay to go to any of them, unless your name is Brewster and you're required to get rid of a ton of money as fast as possible with no expected return.

That is the first time I have ever seen that movie referenced. Nice. And to the OP Vanwinkile is correct, and awesome.

salmanelli
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:01 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby salmanelli » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:20 pm

I worked 5 years as an e-discovery paralegal at a top law firm. does that help? not worried if get into a t4, cause i built strong relationships with the attorneys that i worked with. im pretty sure i can network into a good job as long as i get a j.d.

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:25 pm

You;ll be able to get into a T4.

User avatar
llawguru
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby llawguru » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:03 pm

salmanelli wrote:GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?


you prolly could get into a T1 part-time.

User avatar
MF248
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby MF248 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:04 pm

MoS wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's possible, there are schools out there that might take you. However, you shouldn't pay to go to any of them, unless your name is Brewster and you're required to get rid of a ton of money as fast as possible with no expected return.

That is the first time I have ever seen that movie referenced. Nice. And to the OP Vanwinkile is correct, and awesome.


Ditto - nice 80's movie reference. What was the one scheme where they wanted to put an engine on an iceberg or something?

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby MTal » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Of course you can get in...why would a shitty law school turn down your money? It's as green as everyone elses.

heyguys
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby heyguys » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Can you get into a law school?

Yes.

Should you go to said law school?

Probably not--make sure you fully understand the financial ramifications of such a decision.

njskatchmo
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby njskatchmo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:16 pm

.
Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 pm

njskatchmo wrote:Are there ug's that let you graduate with a 2.0?


Plenty. A lot directional state schools are pretty harsh in grading.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby mikeyp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:44 pm

yes you can. although this may not be the forum for you.

User avatar
bighead715
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby bighead715 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 pm

mmmmmm a 158 isnt too bad

however a 2.0 blows

dont go to law skoul

shut down all T4 schools and stop opening new skouls

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Naw dawg....naw....

kmr
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:36 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby kmr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 am

have you applied anywhere? my situation is similar to your's and i was abit discouraged to get serious about law school, but i'm tired of having this GPA thing linger over me.

glasnost
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby glasnost » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 am

if you apply this cycle, you could probably get an acceptance to some t4 with no scholarship money. if you apply early next cycle, you might get money from said t4s given that your LSAT isn't too bad.

you probably don't want to apply this cycle.

User avatar
splay
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby splay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 pm

It greatly annoys me that in the States you can potentially get into law school with that GPA/LSAT, whereas in Canada, I'll probably get laughed at by most schools for applying with a 3.3-3.4 and I'm going to assume (hope) a 160-ish on the LSAT. Extra lamecakes.

Yes. I'm bitter. Whatever.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:08 pm

splay wrote:It greatly annoys me that in the States you can potentially get into law school with that GPA/LSAT, whereas in Canada, I'll probably get laughed at by most schools for applying with a 3.3-3.4 and I'm going to assume (hope) a 160-ish on the LSAT. Extra lamecakes.

Yes. I'm bitter. Whatever.


Doesn't Canada's university grading allow you to take your best 2 years of grades or something like that? That might help explain things.

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby mhernton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 pm

The short answer is yes, you can get into law school, even one with a good reputation. I did, 2.2/155, its a misnomer though, because I have every soft known to man. You need to have a good reason why you got a 2.0, and a really good really good reason why you got a 158, or take the test again. Your package needs to be bulletproof. Approach it like you approaching applying for the job of your dreams: Pristine resume and cover letter, awards, manicured personal statement. You'll have to apply to a wide range of schools and improve your score with a tutor or class. Good Luck

User avatar
splay
Posts: 3554
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby splay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Doesn't Canada's university grading allow you to take your best 2 years of grades or something like that? That might help explain things.


Each school is different. For example, my top choice takes the GPA of your last 60 credits and the LSAT, and that's it. No PS, no LoR's, no resume, nothing, which, for me, essentially makes applying a lost cause but I'm going to anyway.

Choice #2 takes the cumulative GPA, LSAT, PS, LoR's, resume, and pretty much anything else you can throw at them into consideration.

Choice #5 will drop your 30 worst credits if you're applying with a full 4 years, 21 credits for 3 years, etc., and then they have a weird LSAT/GPA formula that they use to give you a ranking from 1-100.

In other words, Canadian law schools are very annoying.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

splay wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Doesn't Canada's university grading allow you to take your best 2 years of grades or something like that? That might help explain things.


Each school is different. For example, my top choice takes the GPA of your last 60 credits and the LSAT, and that's it. No PS, no LoR's, no resume, nothing, which, for me, essentially makes applying a lost cause but I'm going to anyway.

Choice #2 takes the cumulative GPA, LSAT, PS, LoR's, resume, and pretty much anything else you can throw at them into consideration.

Choice #5 will drop your 30 worst credits if you're applying with a full 4 years, 21 credits for 3 years, etc., and then they have a weird LSAT/GPA formula that they use to give you a ranking from 1-100.

In other words, Canadian law schools are very annoying.


Interesting, thanks!

And yeah, that is understandably pretty frustrating.

User avatar
evilgenius
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:59 pm

mhernton wrote:The short answer is yes, you can get into law school, even one with a good reputation. I did, 2.2/155, its a misnomer though, because I have every soft known to man. You need to have a good reason why you got a 2.0, and a really good really good reason why you got a 158, or take the test again. Your package needs to be bulletproof. Approach it like you approaching applying for the job of your dreams: Pristine resume and cover letter, awards, manicured personal statement. You'll have to apply to a wide range of schools and improve your score with a tutor or class. Good Luck


+1. I have similar stats 2.8/158 and got into almost every school that I applied to, including a few top 50's and a top 20. But I also had "every soft known to man". Write an amazing personal statement and addendum explaining the GPA.

bagosian
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby bagosian » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 pm

I hope so.

I'm in a similar situation, 163/1.78. Health setback led to ~30 credits of Fs. It's a tough break, if law school was more holistically evaluated and less about numbers we might have a better shot. I've yet to even have a school request any additional medical documentation.

Good luck with your applications, it seems like we're going to need it. Maybe consider rewriting to get closer to 170? Might be our only option...

CSKNJ
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:36 am

Re: GPA 2.0, LSAT 158; can i get into a law school?

Postby CSKNJ » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I think your best bet is to take the LSAT again after an intense few months of studying, and hope for a score in the mid 160s then you could apply to several schools in the 40-80 range.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EvanWilliams2, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests